• For users coming over from tmlfans.ca your username will remain the same but you will need to use the password reset feature (check your spam folder) on the login page in order to set your password. If you encounter issues, email Rick at: couchmanrick@gmail.com

2026-27 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion | Official: Sundin & Chayka to lead front office

That Dreger/TSN hockey insider clip is meaningless because it’s exactly what Chayka said at the press conference to answer a question. Theres probably something percolating with Edvinsson, Nikishin, and Werenski’s respective situations but I don’t think anything is imminent.
 
Last edited:
What’s the earliest we can extend Cowan at that Knies deal? Jan 1?

Edit: so for Cowan’s contract, he could extend Jan 1 earliest, but not to 7.75M as there would be tagging implications for next year’s.

This would limit deadline flexibility without more bodies coming off the roster. So probably an offseason play. I doubt Chayka lets it get all the way to the end of his contract season.
 
Last edited:
What’s the earliest we can extend Cowan at that Knies deal?
He's in the 2nd year of his 3 year entry deal.
So on July 1, 2027, in the last year of his deal, I think they can extend him then effective July 1, 2028
I suspect long before then, he and we will know if Matthews is hanging around.
We tend to sober up from our early season exuberance on players who get out to a quick start after 20+ games have been played. Frequently, younger players getting off to a quick start come back to earth as the grind of the regular season sets in.
I'd wait more than a quarter of the season anyway. Odds are, the negotiating position for the team improves. Though I would concede in this particular case, Cowan looks like he is taking a big step forward in his development. If the NHL Edge numbers are correct - that he went from slowest to fastest skater (more likely, not as slow as NHL Edge had him last year and now one of the faster - he won't be faster than Nylander) over the summer, then they've got some indication that won't disappear after 20 games.
 
What’s the earliest we can extend Cowan at that Knies deal? Jan 1?

Edit: so for Cowan’s contract, he could extend Jan 1 earliest, but not to 7.75M as there would be tagging implications for next year’s.

This would limit deadline flexibility without more bodies coming off the roster. So probably an offseason play. I doubt Chayka lets it get all the way to the end of his contract season.
We should extend Quillan to a 7-year, $1.25mil AAV contract.
 
Back
Top