Author Topic: Faulk to St. Louis  (Read 398 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Faulk to St. Louis
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »
You could always increase the ice time of guys through PP and PK so he's essentially more than a 3rd pair guy but I get it.  Having 3 guys like that on the right though, you could carry less experienced and cheaper guys on the left cause your RD would be elite.  At the end of the day you spend what you spend on D and figure out the ice time.

I sort of get that, but that's not likely the way it plays out. Faulk is also not elite :)
Like, I'd have been wary of adding him to the Leafs last season.

Either way, it's an interesting move!

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
I thought Faulk scored a lot more points than he has recently. Over the past 3 seasons he's just averaged 36 points per 82 games. I get that some of that is because the Canes aren't exactly a high scoring team but I really don't know how he gets $6.5mil when his high scoring seasons were so long ago.

Probably because he's like 4th in (Edit: PP) goals for defensemen in that span.  Doesn't have the assists, but goals are a premium.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
I thought Faulk scored a lot more points than he has recently. Over the past 3 seasons he's just averaged 36 points per 82 games. I get that some of that is because the Canes aren't exactly a high scoring team but I really don't know how he gets $6.5mil when his high scoring seasons were so long ago.

Which makes us shudder thinking about Tyson Barrie's ask.
Let's see what Barrie actually does with the Leafs before we get into that! In other words, let's not think about it lol.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »

Probably because he's like 4th in goals for defensemen in that span.  Doesn't have the assists, but goals are a premium.

He's 14th among defencemen in goals over the past 3 seasons. 18th if you want to go by goals per game.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »

Probably because he's like 4th in goals for defensemen in that span.  Doesn't have the assists, but goals are a premium.

He's 14th among defencemen in goals over the past 3 seasons. 18th if you want to go by goals per game.

Yeah, I was going by memory based on the tweet I added.  It goes back 5 years, which includes his biggest point producing year. 

Don't get me wrong, I think he's overpaid. 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 03:19:27 PM »
I know herman will appreciate this:

Invalid Tweet ID
I know that we're coming off a big "goals are more important than assists!" discussion for the last little while, but for defencemen that isn't necessarily the case.

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »
What the Faulk?!

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
I know herman will appreciate this:

Invalid Tweet ID
I know that we're coming off a big "goals are more important than assists!" discussion for the last little while, but for defencemen that isn't necessarily the case.

He deleted it. I think I did catch it before he did and I giggled but I already don't remember what it said.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 03:55:53 PM »
He deleted it. I think I did catch it before he did and I giggled but I already don't remember what it said.

Ah. Basically said that Faulk attempted a crap ton more PP shots last season than a number of elite shooters and yet scored a lot less goals than them.

Offline KW Sluggo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »
I think the Blues got Faulk cheap, and perhaps we overpaid for Barrie.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »

Ah. Basically said that Faulk attempted a crap ton more PP shots last season than a number of elite shooters and yet scored a lot less goals than them.

Ah yes that’s the one and definitely my jam.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 04:40:11 PM »
I think the Blues got Faulk cheap, and perhaps we overpaid for Barrie.

Faulk isn't anywhere near Barrie's level. Last 3 seasons Barrie is 8th among defencemen in points per game. Faulk is 43rd. Even if you want to go back 5 years to include Faulk's higher scoring seasons Barrie stays at 8th and Faulk is just 31st.

Online Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »
I dont get the fascination with Faulk?? He's an offensive D man who doesn't put up points and doesn't really play D. Isn't he going to be 3rd pairing for the Blues unless they move someone else?

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:57 PM »
That's a bizarre deal. Faulk has clearly been surpassed in Carolina by a number of Dmen, and Gardiner is a better defenceman that they just added.

I'm shocked that someone would trade for him and sign to that big a contract. That's a massive overpayment in both $ and term.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:57 PM »