Author Topic: Raptors close to acquiring Kawhi Leonard  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: Raptors close to acquiring Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 01:43:42 PM »
I don't know anything about Basketball. How good is Kawhi really? I've read he's like top 3-5 in league good. Any comparable hockey player or old school bball player?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »
I don't know anything about Basketball. How good is Kawhi really? I've read he's like top 3-5 in league good. Any comparable hockey player or old school bball player?

NBA Finals MVP (2014)
2 NBA All-Star (2016, 2017)
2 All-NBA First Team (2016, 2017)
2 NBA Defensive Player of the Year (2015, 2016)
3 NBA All-Defensive First Team (20152017)

He's been 2nd and 3rd in NBA MVP Voting in the two seasons prior to last.  LeBron is king, and he's in the convo for the 2-5 spot in the league assuming he's healthy.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

John Tavares
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »
Can he skate backwards even a little bit and does he shoot right?

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »

John Tavares

UGH.  As much as I love John Tavares, he's probably in the 10-20 range in the league.  And in the NBA, the superstars drive your success more than they do in the NHL (see:  McDavid)

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
Masai Ujiri just pulled an Alex Anthopoulos.

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »
Tavares is who they traded, Matthews is closer comparison to who they got back.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »
UGH.  As much as I love John Tavares, he's probably in the 10-20 range in the league.  And in the NBA, the superstars drive your success more than they do in the NHL (see:  McDavid)

So not to belabor this point, but I am totally going to labor this point.  It was a bit tongue in cheek. 

Kawhi Leonard has been described as a superstar.  One of the top 5 players in the league when he is at his best.  The pundits have said that they gave up a real good player to get him. 

I put John Tavares in the superstar category and above the real good player category.  Is he top 5 in the League?  At his best, possibly.  2015 was a monster year for Tavares.  He finished third in Hart trophy voting, and he was a 1st team all star.  He also finished second in the scoring race.  So he's three years removed from that, but he has gotten to that level before, and I don't think he has dropped off that much.     

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:38:42 PM by Significantly Insignificant »
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Yeah certainly not worth arguing over but I put Tavares top 20 players in League and Matthews top 10. That would correspond with position I would put two traded players.

So not to belabor this point, but I am totally going to labor this point.  It was a bit tongue in cheek. 

Kawhi Leonard has been described as a superstar.  One of the top 5 players in the league when he is at his best.  The pundits have said that they gave up a real good player to get him. 

I put John Tavares in the superstar category and above the real good player category.  Is he top 5 in the League?  At his best, possibly.  2015 was a monster year for Tavares.  He finished third in Hart trophy voting, and he was a 1st team all star.  He also finished third in the scoring race.  So he's three years removed from that, but he has gotten to that level before, and I don't think he has dropped off that much.     

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »

I put John Tavares in the superstar category and above the real good player category.  Is he top 5 in the League?  At his best, possibly.  2015 was a monster year for Tavares.  He finished third in Hart trophy voting, and he was a 1st team all star.  He also finished third in the scoring race.  So he's three years removed from that, but he has gotten to that level before, and I don't think he has dropped off that much.     
TSN radio called Leonard the Patrice Bergeron of the NBA.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
How do you pronounce this Leonard's first name?

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »

Kuh - Why

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 04:41:55 PM »

Kuh - Why

That's ridiculous.  I thought it was Cow-eee, and I think I should be right.

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »
Feel free to go your own way.

Kuh - Why

That's ridiculous.  I thought it was Cow-eee, and I think I should be right.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »
Me neither. Does this allow the Raptors to lose to Golden State in 5 games or will it still be a sweep?