Author Topic: Ranking Prospects 2018-19  (Read 17270 times)

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects 2018-19
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »
I mean, for the next 4 years we'll have Kadri, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares -- that's our core, all relatively young (Kadri and Tavares will be 31 at the end of 4 years)  Kadri might go after 4 but we'll have the rest presumably for a few more seasons after that. 

Worrying about replacing Brown and/or Hyman in 2 or 3 seasons seems like small potatoes to me when you have your core forwards locked up.

Agreed that having a core in place leaves us with no too much to worry about. The Leafs have done the hard part of getting a contender built... so, when looking at the prospect pool, the main question is whether they have the pieces to sustain it. That's "small potatoes," sure.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2018, 02:03:02 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
PPP: 11. Andreas Borgman

TLN: 15. Filip Kral

At 5v5, Kral was one of the best defencemen in the WHL last year.

Among all WHL defencemen, he sat 15th in 5v5 Pts/GP with 0.44. All but one player of that fourteen above Kral was younger than him – New Jersey Devils prospect and Spokane Chiefs teammate Ty Smith. Considering his age and draft eligibility, Kral should have definitely been talked about more within prospect circles.

All of Kral’s comparables in the WHL that were taken in the 2018 NHL Draft, were taken much earlier than the fifth round. Jett Woo, Ty Smith, Alexander Alexeyev and Calen Addison, all had similar years to Kral at even-strength. Considering the chart below from Mitch Brown, he looks like a very solid bet to make in the later rounds of the draft.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:56:38 AM by herman »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
PPP: 10. Connor Carrick

PPP favours NHL track record, hence Carrick and Borgman being higher.

Also, there is only so much 'market share' on a team for the free-wheelers and risk-takers, so these bottom guys are expected to be boring and safe. I wish it were otherwise.

TLN: 14. Yegor Korshkov
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:27:36 AM by herman »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-prospects/2018/8/21/17763408/toronto-maple-leafs-draft-prospect-martins-dzierkals-joins-dinamo-riga-in-the-khl

Martins Dzierkals wills bes playings ins thes KHLs nexts seasons.

I was kind of hoping he'd make the jump to the AHL, but it's not like he lit up the opposition with the Solar Bears. Playing in a higher tier pro-league will only benefit him, without plugging up our dev teams.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 11:23:55 AM by herman »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »

Also, there is only so much 'market share' on a team for the free-wheelers and risk-takers, so these bottom guys are expected to be boring and safe. I wish it were otherwise.

Not exactly a glowing review, and that's from the geek squad over at PPP.

I think they're going to be in tough there at 3rd pairing RHD unless Liljegren really progresses.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »

I think they're going to be in tough there at 3rd pairing RHD unless Liljegren really progresses.

Um.  I don't think the problem is 3rd pair Right D... the problem is 1st pair Right D. 

(ie, Rielly - ???? , Gardiner - Zaitsev, Dermott - Hainsey would be fine if the ???  was solved)

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »

Um.  I don't think the problem is 3rd pair Right D... the problem is 1st pair Right D. 

(ie, Rielly - ???? , Gardiner - Zaitsev, Dermott - Hainsey would be fine if the ???  was solved)

Oh I agree, and I think I've posted many times in my support for getting a top pairing RHD...like dozens of times like pretty much everyone here.

I just get the feeling that they aren't going to do anything about that spot, and we'll have Hainsey filling in there again, unfortunately, which means that last RHD spot is probably going to be a rotating cast of borderline NHLers.

Ideally that 3rd pairing is Dermott - Hainsey.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »
PPP: 9. Connor Brown

TLN: 13. Calle Rosen
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:23:26 PM by herman »

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »

Oh I agree, and I think I've posted many times in my support for getting a top pairing RHD...like dozens of times like pretty much everyone here.

I just get the feeling that they aren't going to do anything about that spot, and we'll have Hainsey filling in there again, unfortunately, which means that last RHD spot is probably going to be a rotating cast of borderline NHLers.

Ideally that 3rd pairing is Dermott - Hainsey.

I think the solution to our top pair woes is to forget about handedness and play the following top 4:

Dermott/Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott/Gardiner - Zaitsev

And then the bottom pair is Hainsey + someone who can move the puck up the ice (again, handedness be damned).  Options are Carrick, Ozhighanov, Borgman, Rosen.  Hainsey can play either side.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
I’m with Coco here. I also think Zaitsev will be better served with a partner who defers refers to him offensively.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:56:05 AM by herman »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »
I also think Zaitsev will be better served with a partner who refers to him offensively.

Preferably one wearing a CSKA jersey.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »

Not sure there's going to be enough minutes to spare on the Marlies, so sounds like Sandin will be playing overseas next season.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-maple-leafs-prospects/2018/8/21/17763408/toronto-maple-leafs-draft-prospect-martins-dzierkals-joins-dinamo-riga-in-the-khl

Martins Dzierkals wills bes playings ins thes KHLs nexts seasons.

I was kind of hoping he'd make the jump to the AHL, but it's not like he lit up the opposition with the Solar Bears. Playing in a higher tier pro-league will only benefit him, without plugging up our dev teams.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/martins-dzierkals-signs-khl-asking-maple-leafs-trade/

According to Dzierkals’ post-game interview, he has asked the Leafs for a trade due to dissatisfaction with his role in the organization (being slow rolled).

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »
PPP: 8. Andreas Johnsson

Kapanen over Johnsson largely due to age and pedigree.

TLN: 12. Adam Brooks
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:20:54 PM by herman »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
PPP: 8. Andreas Johnsson

Kapanen over Johnsson largely due to age and pedigree.

Kapanen is ranked higher than Johnsson?  Surprised given Johnsson's breakthrough last season complete with the AHL MVP award in the playoffs.  Granted Kapanen didn't play for the Marlies in the playoffs so who knows if he could have been just as good.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »