Author Topic: 2017-2018 NHL Thread  (Read 63418 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-2018 NHL Thread
« Reply #720 on: February 01, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »

Montoya's stopped 43 of 45 shots through 3 games for the Oilers since they traded for him and the Edmonton media is currently questioning his mental toughness and character for not talking to them on game-days.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #720 on: February 01, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 01, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »

Do players have mandated media time in their contracts?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
Another follow-up from Mr. Staples:

Al Montoya is killing journalism.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 01, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
Ryan Rishaug is a Bell Media employee alluding to a player's perceived mental fragility a day after the #BellLetsTalk campaign to stop the stigma of mental health issues.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 01, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »

I seem to remember a discussion about this when Kessel was with the Leafs. I don't think there's anything concrete about it. Just like a reasonable understanding that players have to be available to the media. So as long as they speak from time to time they should be good. Montoya has 2 post-game interviews up on Edmonton's video page, so it's not like he's shunning the media entirely.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 01, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »

I seem to remember a discussion about this when Kessel was with the Leafs. I don't think there's anything concrete about it. Just like a reasonable understanding that players have to be available to the media. So as long as they speak from time to time they should be good. Montoya has 2 post-game interviews up on Edmonton's video page, so it's not like he's shunning the media entirely.

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's certainly not as specific as the NFL's is. I think it's a matter of professional courtesy more than anything else. I sort of see both sides here. On the one hand, these reporters should be able to do their job without the trite cliched nonsense they're likely to get in those interviews. On the other the whole "I cannot possibly talk to the media because of my super serious and intense preparation" stuff some athletes indulge in is laughably overwrought.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 01, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »
This is getting intense.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 01, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
This is getting intense.

This is actually my favourite part of Edmonton's media: when something like this happens they just keep digging up.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 01, 2018, 02:31:13 PM »
This is getting intense.

This is actually my favourite part of Edmonton's media: when something like this happens they just keep digging up.

It seems like nobody likes Patrick O'Sullivan.  They basically booted him from Leafs lunch after many fans constantly complained about him. 

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 02, 2018, 07:05:36 AM »
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/james-neal-nearly-decapitates-connor-hellebuyck-goal-counts-anyway-031100557.html

Neal swings and connects with Hellebuyck's neck, Haula then puts the loose puck in the net. So if this isn't goalie interference (I guess the argument would be that the contact didn't affect the loose puck in the crease??) wouldn't it at least be a regular penalty for almost taking the goalie's head off with your stick? How can that goal possibly count?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 02, 2018, 07:43:40 AM »
Neal swings and connects with Hellebuyck's neck, Haula then puts the loose puck in the net. So if this isn't goalie interference (I guess the argument would be that the contact didn't affect the loose puck in the crease??) wouldn't it at least be a regular penalty for almost taking the goalie's head off with your stick? How can that goal possibly count?

Based on precedent? It shouldn't. Based on the rule as is? Neal was making an attempt at the puck, and didn't impact Hellybuck's ability to make the save on the play that put the puck in the net.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 02, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
It's genuinely difficult for me to like Edmonton players, so well done Montoya I tip my hat to you.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 02, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
I swear, if this season goes up in smoke because some rat runs Andersen and gets away with it, I am going to lose it.

It's basic common sense, if there is a marginal play, let it ride, if someone takes out a goalie completely like we've seen the past two nights, call it off.

Worst officiated pro sport and by a LONG way.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 02, 2018, 09:20:34 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
It's genuinely difficult for me to like Edmonton players, so well done Montoya I tip my hat to you.

Well, he didn't choose to be an Oiler. But he did choose to be a Hab.

"My name is Al Montoya.
You besmirched my professionalism.
Prepare to be ignored."

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 02, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »

Based on precedent? It shouldn't. Based on the rule as is? Neal was making an attempt at the puck, and didn't impact Hellybuck's ability to make the save on the play that put the puck in the net.

I guess I just don't understand why that play is simply limited to goaltender interference. It seems to me that a hardcore slash to the neck/face would undoubtedly be a penalty and thus no goal anyway. How does that slash go uncalled?

On a related note, I've always wondered why a goaltender interference penalty simply negates a goal. Shouldn't it also be a two-minute minor? Or is that a specific stipulation in the rule book?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #734 on: February 02, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »