Author Topic: The Official TV Thread  (Read 150502 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Official TV Thread
« Reply #1440 on: March 13, 2018, 04:25:44 PM »
Has anyone watched the new Queer Eye on Netflix? I never watched or cared to watch the original. I've gone through 3-4 episodes with my wife and it is the most heartwarming show I've ever seen.

5 very gay guys helping dudes in the heart of the very Republican state of Georgia open up to be vulnerable and become their best selves. There are some very interesting intersections of sexuality (obviously), race, social identity, masculinity that come up (especially episode 3).
#BeBlessed

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: March 13, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »
Has anyone watched the new Queer Eye on Netflix? I never watched or cared to watch the original. I've gone through 3-4 episodes with my wife and it is the most heartwarming show I've ever seen.

5 very gay guys helping dudes in the heart of the very Republican state of Georgia open up to be vulnerable and become their best selves. There are some very interesting intersections of sexuality (obviously), race, social identity, masculinity that come up (especially episode 3).
I have a gay uncle (technically two since he's now married!) and it reminds me of them - I howl every time I watch the show. I know it can be over the top at times (my girlfriend had to explain to me what "voguing" was) but I love the enthusiasm and I genuinely hope that they've truly made a difference in these guys' lives after the camera stops rolling.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1441 on: March 13, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 14, 2018, 09:06:59 AM »
I genuinely hope that they've truly made a difference in these guys' lives after the camera stops rolling.

I came across an E Online post about them keeping in touch with the first three subjects (big news for Tom from episode 1, btw!).

And this article really covers what I am enjoying about this show succinctly.
Well, Queer Eye is a makeover show in structure only. Its really, as the Fab Five quip, a make-better show.

[...]

The original was a good show, but the reboot is a great show.

Gone are the small insults and condescending tsk-tsking that come with makeover shows the segments where the subject is ridiculed, even if gently and lovingly, and educated about how things are supposed to be. In their place are segments in which the Fab Five get to know the person and figure out how to make them happier and more comfortable in their own homes, in their own bodies, in their own lives.

Lets say that again: The Fab Five make the makeover subjects not their family and friends happier and more comfortable.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:08:41 AM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: April 18, 2018, 12:22:38 PM »

When I am under the weather, as I have very much been for the last week or so, I really like having hundreds of episodes of something I don't really need to follow from one to the next.

That's why I'm very happy to have found the UK's University Challenge on Youtube. It combines my two greatest passions, feeling very pleased with myself when I sound smart answering hard questions and calling people who are clearly smarter than me a bunch of Nerds when they don't know anything about popular music.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 28, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »

I don't know about "best" but Atlanta is far and away the most interesting show on TV these days.
-Karl Marx

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
I loved the original Karate Kid trilogy as a kid and I loved the new youtube show Cobra Kai a lot more than I thought I would. I was very cynical going into it, but it struck the right cheesy and nostalgic chords.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 03, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »
I loved the original Karate Kid trilogy as a kid and I loved the new youtube show Cobra Kai a lot more than I thought I would. I was very cynical going into it, but it struck the right cheesy and nostalgic chords.

This was pretty fun to watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIbzjjbdw8
#BeBlessed

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 03, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
"The Terror" on AMC has been pretty captivating. An account of the Royal Navy's attempts to discover the Northwest passage in the 1840's mixed with a fictitious horror element. It's exceedingly well done.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:59:37 AM by Andy »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: May 10, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Rick and Morty fan here so this is exciting news:

https://news.avclub.com/adult-swim-orders-70-more-episodes-of-rick-and-morty-1825902906
-Karl Marx

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: May 10, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Rick and Morty fan here so this is exciting news:

https://news.avclub.com/adult-swim-orders-70-more-episodes-of-rick-and-morty-1825902906

That's ballsy from a network that seems pretty notorious for cancelling shows that receive good critical acclaim  pretty easily.  Who knows if Harmon can keep his ego in check to write a consistent additional 2-3 seasons let alone 5-7.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 10, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine just got cancelled. I'm a fan of the show but 5 seasons is a pretty good run.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #1451 on: May 10, 2018, 05:27:24 PM »
That's a shame, Captain Holt is one of my favourite characters on TV. Probably better to go out with people wanting more rather than it get stale
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 10, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »

I'm sure this is unfair in a lot of ways but Brooklyn 99 just never worked for me. I'm a big fan of some of the actors involved and I'm a big Mike Schur fan(Both for Parks & Rec and The Good Place as well as FJM) but just tonally "Wacky NYPD hijinks" seemed off in this day and age.
-Karl Marx

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 10, 2018, 05:39:26 PM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine just got cancelled. I'm a fan of the show but 5 seasons is a pretty good run.

Disappointing, but I honestly didn't expect it to last this long.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: May 10, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »
Last Man on Earth cancelled after 4 seasons. For a show I felt was a long shot to make it season 2, that's pretty impressive.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan