Author Topic: The Official Complaint Thread!  (Read 149942 times)

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Complaint Thread!
« Reply #720 on: May 09, 2012, 03:05:39 AM »
I bet a big portion of the people who are against gay marriage believe, in almost every other area, the guv'ment should just butt out of their lives.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #720 on: May 09, 2012, 03:05:39 AM »

Offline LittleHockeyFan

• BearyBest Leaf Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • game ON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 09, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »
Come on, Sportsnet.   I don't need to see Clint Malarchuk with blood spurting from his neck while I'm eating breakfast.
don't wanna see that ever again. Ever. Saw the game. Still have nightmares.

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 09, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »
Yeah, but it was democratically voted.  Because democracy is ALWAYS the best option.  I do find it a little funny that a lot of the population of the Carolina's is black and that a good proportion of that community was voting against Gay Marriage.  Nothing says tunnel vision like perpetuating discrimination from the population that was grossly discriminated against (and still is to some extents) less than 50 years ago.

The fact that the Confederates in the American "south" vote against this stuff doesn't shock or disappoint me, but when you have populations that know first hand what it is like to be ostracized I do have to shake my head.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:08:20 PM by L K »

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 09, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
Yeah, but it was democratically voted.  Because democracy is ALWAYS the best option.  I do find it a little funny that a lot of the population of the Carolina's is black and that a good proportion of that community was voting against Gay Marriage.  Nothing says tunnel vision like perpetuating discrimination from the population that was grossly discriminated against (and still is to some extents) less than 50 years ago.

The fact that the Confederates in the American "south" vote against this stuff doesn't shock or disappoint me, but when you have populations that know first hand what it is like to be ostracized I do have to shake my head.

Very good point.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 09, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »

Not that I'm excusing it but I think that it's more understandable when you consider that their centuries of oppression is a big part of the reason that those communities are so religious and it's that religion that's most commonly used as the rationale for an opposition to gay marriage. Those are conflicting impulses and, like you, I'm disappointed that the more progressive cause didn't win out.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 09, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »

For what it's worth, 2010 census data has North Carolina's population as 68.5% white and 21.5% black.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 09, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
I suppose, if one were to look for a silver lining/moral victory in all of this, the fact that a fairly conservative part of the US and their governing body actually let the issue of gay marriage reach the point where the residents of the state were actually allowed to vote on it is progress. 5-10 years ago, that never would have happened in a southern state. It's not the type of victory we should all be hoping for, but, it's something, I guess.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
For what it's worth, 2010 census data has North Carolina's population as 68.5% white and 21.5% black.

And South Carolina's is 27.9% black so, combined, it's probably roughly twice the national average.
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
I suppose, if one were to look for a silver lining/moral victory in all of this, the fact that a fairly conservative part of the US and their governing body actually let the issue of gay marriage reach the point where the residents of the state were actually allowed to vote on it is progress. 5-10 years ago, that never would have happened in a southern state. It's not the type of victory we should all be hoping for, but, it's something, I guess.

That'd be true, or truer anyway, if this were a vote on the legalization of gay marriage as opposed to a vote on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. While it's true that five or ten years ago this may not have come up that's because five or ten years ago other states weren't legalizing gay marriage/having courts do it for them and this sort of reactionary policy wasn't necessary.

So by that definition it's maybe a sign of the progress elsewhere, which is good, but you could argue that this actually makes things worse for gay rights in South Carolina then it was five or ten years ago.

edit: after a little bit of reading, this was a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage and civil unions. So, yeah, that's pretty bad.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:35:11 PM by Nikł »
-Karl Marx

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
The Official Complaint Thread!
« Reply #729 on: May 09, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-announces-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,”

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president continued. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know,  believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Offline Sucker Punch

• Rookie
  • I don't talk to suckers, boy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
BREAKING: President Obama displays common sense.

Offline TheMightyOdin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
I heard an interesting perspective that if you are for gay marriage but are not gay yourself than you should not get married. Then you really are supporting gay marriage by not joining the discriminating club.

The Catalyst?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
Someone was shot in the park around the corner from my apartment last night. Not cool, guys. Not cool at all.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »
Not good at all busta. Man, I'm so glad to be in the 905... and here I was pissed that one  my kid's friends who lives down the street had their bike stolen a couple nights ago. - I'm sure we'll catch the creep. 

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 09, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
I heard an interesting perspective that if you are for gay marriage but are not gay yourself than you should not get married. Then you really are supporting gay marriage by not joining the discriminating club.

I don't understand that perspective. How does me being married put me in the discriminating club? I don't think it's quite the same as me abstaining from taking a bus because it's segregated.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #734 on: May 09, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »