Author Topic: Shane Doan  (Read 10997 times)

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
Re: Shane Doan
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »

Call me a traditionalist but I hope Doan signs with the Jets.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
I think the Kings might be where he ends up.

Penner probably leaving opens up room for him, good team, close to Arizona.

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »
Doan would make a ton of sense.  We need exactly what he brings.  Size, skill, leadership, heart and he would still be our most physical forward.  I think his presence alone would help the team (and young guys) immensely.  Remember Gary Roberts?  Well this is essentially the exact same thing.

But the original poster is wrong... $2-3 million won't do it.  He will get his 3-4 years at $5M from someone.  If he signs any less it's with a contender he thinks he can win a cup with (ie 2 years in Pitts for $4m per).

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 04:42:33 PM »
But the original poster is wrong... $2-3 million won't do it.  He will get his 3-4 years at $5M from someone.  If he signs any less it's with a contender he thinks he can win a cup with (ie 2 years in Pitts for $4m per).

I agree with you on the salary, but not on the length. If Doan signs outside of the Phoenix-area I think it will be a 1 or 2 year deal before he retires.

Offline the dingo ate my baby

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 05:05:20 PM »
Back to the Watters tweet (which is nonsense), but yes certainly Doan and Prust would be huge for the Leafs.  I put Doan at slim to no chance in signing here though.  Prust though.... gimme gimme gimme.  Hopefully Burke can get him a contract that makes sense.  Perfect, perfect guy for the blue and white.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
Hopefully Burke can get him a contract that makes sense.  Perfect, perfect guy for the blue and white.

The thing is, there's almost no way the contract he gets will make sense. That's the only reason I want Burke to stay far away from those negotiations.

Offline Etiam Vultus

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »
Hopefully Burke can get him a contract that makes sense.  Perfect, perfect guy for the blue and white.

The thing is, there's almost no way the contract he gets will make sense. That's the only reason I want Burke to stay far away from those negotiations.

+1

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
Toews is apparently trying to talk him into go to Chicago.  I would have thought that's tampering even though he's not part of the management group?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/free_agency/2012/06/27/toews_recruit_doan_blackhawks_coyotes/

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »

Yeah we need to stop spending on bottom 6 guys and let some of our younger guys do the job for a lot less $$.  That's how the top teams do it.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »
I'm hoping to see a lot of Kadri, Colborne, and Frattin this year (assuming they're still Leafs of course.)

Offline the dingo ate my baby

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »

Yeah we need to stop spending on bottom 6 guys and let some of our younger guys do the job for a lot less $$.  That's how the top teams do it.

I know this team desperately needs offensive stars, but Prust can be a game changer.  I'm not saying offer the guy 5 million bucks, but I have no problem with him getting Armstrong money.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »

I know this team desperately needs offensive stars, but Prust can be a game changer.  I'm not saying offer the guy 5 million bucks, but I have no problem with him getting Armstrong money.

3 mil? Jeebus, I hope not.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 09:07:14 AM »
I bet he gets that... You watch.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
Toews is apparently trying to talk him into go to Chicago.  I would have thought that's tampering even though he's not part of the management group?

I don't see how that's the sort of thing that could be policed. Players are social with each other. They talk about where they may want to play and ask each other what it's like playing in City X or for Team Y.

And a guy like Toews doesn't really have authority anyway if he's not acting on behalf of the team. He can say, "Boy, Shane I'd sure like to have you on the team" but Doan would have no idea if an offer would be coming from Chicago or if their Brass was interested.

The whole point of tampering rules is so that players in exclusive negotiations don't have leverage because of offers made from other teams. Knowing that Jonathan Toews wants you on his team doesn't really do that for Doan.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
I bet he gets that... You watch.

My guess is Prust comes in at 3-4 years and for $2.25-2.5M.

I can see a Talbot like deal though, where he gets 5 years for a little less... $1.8-$2M per.