• For users coming over from tmlfans.ca your username will remain the same but you will need to use the password reset feature (check your spam folder) on the login page in order to set your password. If you encounter issues, email Rick at: couchmanrick@gmail.com

Leafs acquire and extend Kirill Marchenko

Chayka says that Wood will start with the Marlies and get a chance to work his way back to the NHL. His contract will likely never look good but I still think there's some potential there as far as a 4th line player goes. His and Duhaime's speed would be crazy together if he can.
 
Merzlikins recovery period was expected to be 4-6 months, with his surgery taking place a month ago. So barring a set-back he would be expected to return at some point this season.
 
10 team no trade list

They could waive him and bury him with $3.28 M cap charge if they can't find someone to take his contract - or find a new home for Stolarz if he's healthy enough to play effectively for the Leafs ...
Question was about Marchenko, not Merzlikins.

It doesn't look like any details about Kirill's deal has been released yet aside from the basics.
 
32 Thoughts had that fun note about Marchenko being amenable to extending in Montreal over the summer, but not so sure about Toronto.

He must've watched the Matthews and McKenna shows in preseason.
 
32 Thoughts had that fun note about Marchenko being amenable to extending in Montreal over the summer, but not so sure about Toronto.

He must've watched the Matthews and McKenna shows in preseason.

He wore 34 in the KHL because AM34 was his favorite player.

Edit: Not jokes.

 
Last edited:
Now I gotta change my spreadsheet and it's making me nervous.
I've cut it down from 10,000 to 8.

Good to see you back. I can assure you that you didn't miss anything last season other than repeated opportunities to grind your teeth to the point of needing maxilofacial surgery.
 
Looking ahead just a little, Matthews has to answer a similar question Marchenko did, by July 1, 2027. I wonder if providing Matthews a better winger to play with (Knies was team worst -30 last season) covered part of their reasoning to proceed with this deal. It is going to be a tough sell regardless as only 3 players on the starting 20 are under 29. Most of their talent is on the back nine of their career. They're not true contenders this year and their window of becoming a true contender can't be very long, if ever, due to declination from age and limited prospects in their system. If they don't make the playoffs, they have little hope of re-signing him. I'm guessing Marchenko can help them more than Knies this year. It will be interesting to see what trade protection Marchenko got .. Nylander, Raddysh & Tanev are currently the only players under contract 3 yrs from now with no move protection should Matthews leave.

I'd been coming around to your rather bleak view -- Matthews's departure inevitable as the Shanaplan window closes -- but, since the new regime's taken over, I'm feeling this could go differently.

Part of that is draft luck, but the result is what it is: is there any team that's had as good a regular season win percentage as the Leafs over last 3 years (even including last year's disaster) that boasts a talent like McKenna? That's added as many guys who might be something in 2-3 years? The Athletic ranks teams' under-23 pipelines. I think the Leafs are in the top third in the league there, and in points over the last few seasons.

Other players around the league seem to be responding positively. The Leafs got the top UFA this summer to sign here. He's a hometown guy, so maybe that doesn't mean much, but then Marchenko extended here, after (according to Friedman) being very skeptical of the team when trade rumors floated several months back.

If I were Matthews, I'd still probably sign my next deal as a short term thing with some guys I like to play with (Werenski? McDavid?) on the team that can fit us and is closest to the Cup. But he might like Toronto more than I do! It's a pretty great city if you're rich
 
Back
Top