• For users coming over from tmlfans.ca your username will remain the same but you will need to use the password reset feature (check your spam folder) on the login page in order to set your password. If you encounter issues, email Rick at: couchmanrick@gmail.com

Leafs acquire and extend Kirill Marchenko

I wondered if we might swap Lorentz for another waived player, but figured it might be Tanev or Raddysh for the obvious reasons. I used to like Miles Wood back when he was a Devil, we'll see if there's anything left there now.

Giving up Andrea and a 2nd feels pretty meh here. Again I felt like we should be getting something like that added to our side if anything.

Ultimately Marchenko is the best player here though. I'm excited to see what he does with Matthews.
 
I don't get the 2nd on top there. We basically traded Woll AND Knies for Marchenko, cap dump and an overpaid Miles Wood (2.5M)

Seeing how Knies plays against Tampa be prepared for him to score 15 goals against us this year
 
Andrae would've been an interesting project, but I guess once the Rielly trade options fell off the table and Blankenburg appeared, there wasn't much reason to force that.

The Leafs lose a lot of potential and vibes with Knies (and to a lesser extent Lorentz), but this doesn't really feel like a heavy cost for one of the harder to acquire right shooting power forwards (who isn't a defensive liability to boot).

Miles Wood got into a training camp fight with Erik Gudbranson the other day after the latter took exception to a hit. He'll add a great deal of speed to L4 but not much else.
 
leafs-and-blue-jackets-in-advanced-talks-for-kirill-v0-wcoythiruash1.jpeg


I stole this from Reddit
 
There's also something to be said for keeping both Knies and Marchenko out of Montreal and Boston's hands.
 
Stop it! Marchenko might be the better player, he isn't $4.75m better than Knies.
eh, he kind of is.

Marchenko can drive a line with a mediocre defensive centre, and Knies very evidently only looked good if Matthews was there also working well.

I'm a big proponent of stacking money on players that can really skate, pass, AND shoot and carry play with only a modicum of support.
 
Not actually thinking this would happen but in a world where the Leafs wanted to bring back the left winger Matthews arguably ever had the most chemistry with...

Bunting-Matthews-Marchenko
McKenna-Tavares-Nylander
Cowan-Paul-Roslovic
Duhaime-Sissons-Blueger
 
eh, he kind of is.

Marchenko can drive a line with a mediocre defensive centre, and Knies very evidently only looked good if Matthews was there also working well.

I'm a big proponent of stacking money on players that can really skate, pass, AND shoot and carry play with only a modicum of support.

They do different things, but they are comparable players, in terms of what they bring and the effect the have on a hockey game.
 
eh, he kind of is.

Marchenko can drive a line with a mediocre defensive centre, and Knies very evidently only looked good if Matthews was there also working well.

I'm a big proponent of stacking money on players that can really skate, pass, AND shoot and carry play with only a modicum of support.
Good analysis.
 
Back
Top