• For users coming over from tmlfans.ca your username will remain the same but you will need to use the password reset feature (check your spam folder) on the login page in order to set your password. If you encounter issues, email Rick at: couchmanrick@gmail.com

2026-27 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion | Official: Sundin & Chayka to lead front office

I'd like to see some small tinkering. Keep Nylander with Matthews and Marchenko with Tavares for a stretch of games. Mix up the top-4 D pairings. I'd also probably take Groulx off the 4th line. I've always felt like it's tough for one single player to be the lone physical presence on a 4th line, which is why I was originally mildly excited to see both Duhaime and Joshua on the wings there. Maybe give Wood a shot I guess.

They have the cap & roster space. 4th line hasn't been too hot - actually, a bit of a let down aside from PK,
If they can rehab him some, they might find a taker to free up cap space or shed someone who isn't working out.
He used to have fast wheels. Don't know if that has fallen off. He has the incentive to do better or finish his career riding buses in the AHL. Nothing to lose.
 
I'd like to see some small tinkering. Keep Nylander with Matthews and Marchenko with Tavares for a stretch of games. Mix up the top-4 D pairings. I'd also probably take Groulx off the 4th line. I've always felt like it's tough for one single player to be the lone physical presence on a 4th line, which is why I was originally mildly excited to see both Duhaime and Joshua on the wings there. Maybe give Wood a shot I guess.
Why not even try Paul at 2C and Sissons at 3C and move Tavares to the wing while taking faceoffs? With so many faces we've got a lot of combinations to try and optimize the lineup.
 
Just in time for the Colorado revenge game. I assume Blankenburg will check in as well. I would've also called up Mermis/Rifai but I take it they don't know the extent of OEL's down time between his head hitting the ice and his shoulder getting mashed in.

Groulx should be heading down to the Marlies.
 
I know the snipped takes for social media had Button pontificating on trading Cowan for a young DMan.

I think that’s still the one area of the team that does need *something*.

I like Marchenko, a lot. I think he’s going to be a good addition and gives the top 6 more pop while actually pushing a few others down to give the likes of the depth of Cowan on the third line.

But I dunno how to fix that gap in the D outside now somehow managing something like a Rielly for someone one for one swap. Cos we can’t lose Cowan. And we don’t have a Knies any more that can be swapped for D help. Or Rielly and whatever the first round pick we have or something stupid.
 
Why not even try Paul at 2C and Sissons at 3C and move Tavares to the wing while taking faceoffs? With so many faces we've got a lot of combinations to try and optimize the lineup.
Did you mean move Paul to the wing while taking faceoffs?
Tavares career FO win% is 57.5% - he's always been near the top in the league
This season he's even better 58.1%
Paul's FO win% is 45% this season

Since they have so many forwards who can take draws respectably, left and right handed on 3 of their lines, and they're not so hot at getting the puck back when they lose it, they should consider using the centers more on their strong side (which could improve FO win% about 6% in some cases) and that could improve their time possessing the puck without changing much else.

The other aspect of Tavares on the wing is his 'office' is at the front of the net. He's really good in there. Always has been. It wouldn't be as convenient positionally if he's on a wing.

With fatherhood, looks like we won't have to worry about it really soon.
 
Did you mean move Paul to the wing while taking faceoffs?
Tavares career FO win% is 57.5% - he's always been near the top in the league
This season he's even better 58.1%
Paul's FO win% is 45% this season

Since they have so many forwards who can take draws respectably, left and right handed on 3 of their lines, and they're not so hot at getting the puck back when they lose it, they should consider using the centers more on their strong side (which could improve FO win% about 6% in some cases) and that could improve their time possessing the puck without changing much else.

The other aspect of Tavares on the wing is his 'office' is at the front of the net. He's really good in there. Always has been. It wouldn't be as convenient positionally if he's on a wing.

With fatherhood, looks like we won't have to worry about it really soon.
I meant Tavares can be a winger while taking draws.
 
I wonder if Tavares taking draws then playing left wing and Roslovic sliding into Centre position afterwards might not work? McKenna or Cowan could then move up with Matthews and Marchenko, and allow Marchenko to move to his natural right side.
 
I wonder if Tavares taking draws then playing left wing and Roslovic sliding into Centre position afterwards might not work? McKenna or Cowan could then move up with Matthews and Marchenko, and allow Marchenko to move to his natural right side.
34 86 92 would be a bonkers line.
 
Back
Top