Author Topic: 2011 NFL thread  (Read 21977 times)

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 NFL thread
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

Well, it's a good idea to remember that a lot of NFL draft analysts make their living in part by hyping the draft. I think the willingness to trade down by all parties here is in large part because it's just not a great draft. Claiborne's a good player but I don't think there's a ton of difference between him and Kirkpatrick.

I typed "on player" there  - twice where I should have just said "of players" there.  :-[ Please pardon the bad grammar there - I fixed it. Anyway, consider me caught up in the Claiborne "hype" then. There's a ton of it.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »
I typed "on player" there  - twice where I should have just said "of players" there.  :-[ Please pardon the bad grammar there - I fixed it. Anyway, consider me caught up in the Claiborne "hype" then. There's a ton of it.

Up  to you. I'm just speaking as someone who saw him play. I think he's got the potential to be a good player but I think the fact that he's the #1 defender chosen says more about the quality of the draft then the quality of Claiborne. Personally I'd rather have Kirkpatrick and a receiver with that 2nd rounder.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 27, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »

Up  to you. I'm just speaking as someone who saw him play. I think he's got the potential to be a good player but I think the fact that he's the #1 defender chosen says more about the quality of the draft then the quality of Claiborne. Personally I'd rather have Kirkpatrick and a receiver with that 2nd rounder.

I was actually convinced it was going to be one of G DeCastro, S Barron, or DT Brockers.  I'd have been thrilled with one of those three plus whatever in in the second round too but when Claiborne fell out of the top 5, I think he was just too juicy to pass up. One also has to consider the other teams in the NFC East. There's some great QBs and receivers there and I think it's prudent to get the best corners to counter. An elite backfield also sets up the pass rush and as a Jets fan you know is all part in parcel of a Ryan defence. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:52:38 PM by Sarge »

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
... and CANADIAN DE Tryone Crawford goes to the 'Boys in the 3rd round. Can't say I know a lick about him but hey, Cooo-loo-coo-coo, coo-loo-coo-cooooo!

Offline BMan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »
... and CANADIAN DE Tryone Crawford goes to the 'Boys in the 3rd round. Can't say I know a lick about him but hey, Cooo-loo-coo-coo, coo-loo-coo-cooooo!

Saints just drafted CANADIAN Akiem Hicks from Saskatchewan. Mayock: Very difficult to watch tape on this guy as I don't understand the Canadian rules..but he is a HUGE man and I watched him in the East -West game..lol 

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:25 PM »
Good night for Canada!

Edit: Mayock's take on Crawford: "This is a good pick. He's the prototypical 5-technique in the 3-4 defense. He provides tremendous depth that the Cowboys want."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:45:21 PM by Sarge »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2012, 02:49:03 PM »
Ex Chargers linebacker Junior Seau reportedly found dead at his home..

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/02/junior-seau-dead/#.T6F5ZfGEyc8

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »

Bounty suspensions are out. Smith gets four games, Fujita gets three games, Hargrove gets 8 and Vilma is gone for the year.

By all accounts this is going to be messy and may go to court.
-Karl Marx

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
2011 NFL thread
« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »

Bounty suspensions are out. Smith gets four games, Fujita gets three games, Hargrove gets 8 and Vilma is gone for the year.

By all accounts this is going to be messy and may go to court.

I can't see the PA letting this stand without a fight.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
I'm not sure there is much of an appeal process. Basically, I think it boils down to "suck it up."

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
I'm not sure there is much of an appeal process. Basically, I think it boils down to "suck it up."

There's the formal NFL process that goes through Goodell but the more likely remedy for the players would be through legal means similar to the way the players in the starcaps thing fought their drugs suspensions.
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »