Author Topic: Luongo  (Read 135100 times)

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
Re: Luongo
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
Isn't it pronounced Lulongo?

I call him LOLongo. :P

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
Bob Lulongo

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
Anybody can be available for the right price, unless they have a no trade clause.

But you have to be realistic about what that price is. Carolina isn't going to trade Cam Ward unless they're convinced that the return they'd get would make them a better team. Jim Rutherford is smart enough, as are most GMs, to know that his team won't be as good as they are with their current starting goalie unless they get goaltending that is at least as good as their current goalie provides.

That's the catch 22 that makes just about any #1 goalie in the NHL prohibitively expensive, or in some cases downright impossible, to trade for. The reason Luongo is attractive is because his team is motivated to move him so that you can get him for less, maybe substantially less, then the value he'd provide to the Canucks.

The reality is that there are going to be very, very few options for the Leafs to add a #1 goalie without making a substantial trade of their young assets. If there's one thing Burke has established beyond a shadow of a doubt in his time here it's that he can't work miracles and adding a goalie will cost heavily unless the team is a motivated seller and, as we've found out with Phaneuf, teams that are motivated sellers are usually motivated for a reason.

I'm not sure if I'd trade for Luongo but I understand the appeal.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
Apparently, some guy on Twitter who broke both the Hodgson trade and the Booth trade before the media is saying Luongo to Toronto by the draft if not July 1, and is a done deal.

Probably not true but fun to think about nonetheless.

Well, if they have Schneider locked up to a long-term deal by then, I suppose it's a possibility, but if not, there's no way Luongo is moved at that point. Though, really, this is most likely a case of linking Luongo with the most high profile team that's looking for a goalie and hoping for the best.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
Apparently, some guy on Twitter who broke both the Hodgson trade and the Booth trade before the media is saying Luongo to Toronto by the draft if not July 1, and is a done deal.

Well, if they have Schneider locked up to a long-term deal by then, I suppose it's a possibility, but if not, there's no way Luongo is moved at that point. Though, really, this is most likely a case of linking Luongo with the most high profile team that's looking for a goalie and hoping for the best.

So you're doubting some guy?
- Sean Doolittle

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
So you're doubting some guy?

Shocking, I know.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline A Weekend at Bernier's

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »
Like a lot of you, I'm beginning to rethink Luongo's value, though I still think he's a great acquisition at the right price.  His valkue is likely much, much lower than initially thought (didn't some writer suggest it would take the Leafs' first rd pick + Kadri?).  This may be a case where Van has to sweeten the pot.

To that end, would anyone do a deal like Luongo + Kassian for Komi + 2'nd?

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
Call it gut instinct, but I have a feeling Luongo winds up in New Jersey if Brodeur decides to hang it up after these playoffs...

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Luongo
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »

Please don't tell me it's incarceratedbob I really loathe that guy.

Offline Gerald The Duck

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21:09 PM »

If by fun you mean the thought of it happening makes me want to be violently sick all over the place then yes, fun.

Offline Etiam Vultus

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
The following was posted on the Canucks fan forum web site regarding a trade of Luongo to Toronto:

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To
by $lacker on Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm

TDA Rum wrote:
Do you know what the return will be, Slacker?

I do know the sticking point is Gardiner... Both GM's know Gardiner = Shultz as well so it's like getting a 2 for 1. I spoke to this person again on the weekend but they wouldn't give me anything more. 5th overall plus Gardiner and Shultz would be a very nice haul. Fan 590 in Toronto was reporting 1st, Schenn, and Gardiner this morning, but that would be a true pillaging!

Now fans have been known to have unrealistic appraisals of a player's worth,  but did the Fan 590 actually report that trade?????  If Burke did that, being fired would be he least of his problems.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
Anything from the Fan590 is pure wild speculation. Also, anything from a guy calling himself $lacker is as well.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »
Anything from the Fan590 is pure wild speculation. Also, anything from a guy calling himself $lacker is as well.

;D
BWB

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »

I'm guessing that's the Canucks fan equivalent of the people here who think we're getting Jordan Staal for Kulemin, Komisarek and a third.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »
The following was posted on the Canucks fan forum web site regarding a trade of Luongo to Toronto:

Re: Luongo will Waive NTC If Asked To
by $lacker on Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 pm

TDA Rum wrote:
Do you know what the return will be, Slacker?

I do know the sticking point is Gardiner... Both GM's know Gardiner = Shultz as well so it's like getting a 2 for 1. I spoke to this person again on the weekend but they wouldn't give me anything more. 5th overall plus Gardiner and Shultz would be a very nice haul. Fan 590 in Toronto was reporting 1st, Schenn, and Gardiner this morning, but that would be a true pillaging!

Now fans have been known to have unrealistic appraisals of a player's worth,  but did the Fan 590 actually report that trade?????  If Burke did that, being fired would be he least of his problems.

If Schenn OR Gardiner OR our first are traded for Luongo, it is a steal.