Author Topic: Justin Schultz  (Read 40815 times)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Justin Schultz
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 07:10:06 PM »
I found a link to the rumor here....

link
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:44:32 PM by cw »
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
Obviously you have a beef with Pronman's opinion here.

Again, the issue primarily is the starting point of evaluating any 22 year old by trying to fit him into a draft of, and comparing him to, 18 year olds. What's funnier is the idea that slotting him into the draft is valid and meaningful but trying to then work out what that says about how good a player he'll likely be is venturing into dangerous territory to be avoided.

I would put a little more stake in him making a statement like "If we were to redo the draft, I would take him X-amount higher".  It's still a meaningless exercise, but at least he's somewhat comparing apples at that point.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

link

I can imagine the Ducks are monitoring things as closely as they can but this whole finger on the red tampering button seems a bit contrived by the writer.  I mean, this isn't Mike Gillis we are talking about here. ;)

I doubt teams would be that sloppy to have contact with him before they are allowed. They have to know the Ducks are pissed off as anything to be losing him, and he's going to be as sought after as anyone the moment he hits UFA.

Do the Leafs have some inside connection with Gardiner?  I don't know if a player from a team contacting a pending free agent early constitutes tampering but signals can be sent in many ways and maybe this is where there is some smoke, but still this all sounds contrived.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:46:03 PM by cw »

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »

link

I can imagine the Ducks are monitoring things as closely as they can but this whole finger on the red tampering button seems a bit contrived by the writer.  I mean, this isn't Mike Gillis we are talking about here. ;)

I doubt teams would be that sloppy to have contact with him before they are allowed. They have to know the Ducks are pissed off as anything to be losing him, and he's going to be as sought after as anyone the moment he hits UFA.

Do the Leafs have some inside connection with Gardiner?  I don't know if a player from a team contacting a pending free agent early constitutes tampering but signals can be sent in many ways and maybe this is where there is some smoke, but still this all sounds contrived.

Who really knows how much Russo is guessing about this or if he actually has some inside information. But wouldn't the Leafs defense take on a whole new life next season if Schultz and say Dumba were added? Trade away Schenn for JVR, sign a veteran goalie, and maybe, maybe land a Parise or J. Staal? It could be one hellava summer if only some of these rumors pan out!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:45:42 PM by cw »
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves here. Every team in the league will be after this guy. I know people love mentioning that he played with Gardiner but even if they weren't just teammates but were BFF's the likelihood is that he's not going to make his decision based on having a friend around to go to the movies with.
And I thought the only reason Bozak is on the team is he's the only one who'll be Kessel's friend.
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »
Who really knows how much Russo is guessing about this or if he actually has some inside information. But wouldn't the Leafs defense take on a whole new life next season if Schultz and say Dumba were added? Trade away Schenn for JVR, sign a veteran goalie, and maybe, maybe land a Parise or J. Staal? It could be one hellava summer if only some of these rumors pan out!

Oh no doubt that adding Schultz and the player at #5 or wherever it ends up would bring in two very highly touted assets and give Burke all kinds of options to use other pieces to make some things happen.

I would hazard a guess that Burke would be quite careful on this one and is probably communicating with Bob Murray already around the possibility.  Since he continues to play his old employee like a fiddle I would imagine this would only continue in the Schultz situation. 

Burke doesn't have to worry about Ron Wilson saying far too much on radio anymore, so the Leafs should be ok on this one. :)

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »
Oh no doubt that adding Schultz and the player at #5 or wherever it ends up would bring in two very highly touted assets and give Burke all kinds of options to use other pieces to make some things happen.

I would hazard a guess that Burke would be quite careful on this one and is probably communicating with Bob Murray already around the possibility.  Since he continues to play his old employee like a fiddle I would imagine this would only continue in the Schultz situation. 

Burke doesn't have to worry about Ron Wilson saying far too much on radio anymore, so the Leafs should be ok on this one. :)

Sign Schultz and then trade him as part of the package for Getzlaf... He'd be pissed!
BWB

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
Pretty glowing scouting report on him here:  link
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:45:13 PM by cw »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

#Badgers D-man and former #Ducks draft pick Justin Schultz is expected to sign with a Canadien club #Leafs #Canucks or #Oilers

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
If Schultz signs with Toronto or Vancouver he's their best prospect. Likely not for #Oilers, but if Murray's the pick, I'd debate it.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »

#Badgers D-man and former #Ducks draft pick Justin Schultz is expected to sign with a Canadien club #Leafs #Canucks or #Oilers

So, he's got the choice between playing with Gardiner his old D partner, or the other two teams, hmmmmmm. So he and Gardiner have talked that they'd like to play together some day, he's a free agent and the Leafs have Gardiner, I wonder where he signs this summer?
BWB

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 05:19:36 PM »

So, he's got the choice between playing with Gardiner his old D partner, or the other two teams, hmmmmmm. So he and Gardiner have talked that they'd like to play together some day, he's a free agent and the Leafs have Gardiner, I wonder where he signs this summer?

:)
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline sampson

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »
I don't know about these reports of him signing with a Canadian based team, but if Detroit is in the mix cause they want someone now that Lidstrom is gone, you can kiss Schultz goodbye.  They usually get the guys they want by pointing to their track record of success.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »
I don't know about these reports of him signing with a Canadian based team, but if Detroit is in the mix cause they want someone now that Lidstrom is gone, you can kiss Schultz goodbye.  They usually get the guys they want by pointing to their track record of success.

I think Shultz wants to play in the NHL next season, so Detroit may not be the place, as they like to take the slow approach with their players. Maybe they give it to him with the spots they have, but I'd still say they would have him in the AHL for at least one year.

The Leafs could lose out on him also, if they don't trade one or two of the guys they have on the team. In order for the Leafs to fit him in (provided he's ready) is trading Schenn or Franson.

Then, if everything works in our favour, you have this..

Liles- Phaneuf
Gunnarsson- Franson
Gardiner- Shultz
Holzer

Or something like that. Either way, a defenseman that plays the right side would have to go and maybe does anyway, with Holzer on the way also. Komisarek is also there, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:26:11 AM by BlueWhiteBlood »
BWB