Author Topic: Useless Thread  (Read 153970 times)

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Re: Useless Thread
« Reply #1815 on: July 23, 2019, 06:51:38 PM »

A fun day in British politics:

Invalid Tweet ID
Holy shit!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1815 on: July 23, 2019, 06:51:38 PM »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: July 25, 2019, 09:07:17 AM »
So at my eldest daughter's soccer game last night, we nearly had a brawl break out between parents.  It was the most embarrassing and ridiculous display of childishness I've ever seen in my years of taking my kid to soccer.  I've heard horror stories of crazy parents, but luckily had never really witnesses behavior that was all that bad.  Last night that all changed.

Our team was up handily at half time, the opposition parents were upset about some missed calls or non-calls by the ref, and they also didn't like the fact that our coach and goalie are very vocal during the game yelling out to our team.  So the parents started mocking our girls on the pitch, imitating the goalie when she called out, imitating the coach, laughing and yelling "great shot!" when one our players missed the net.  It was unbelievable.  So then some of the parents on our side started to take issue and told them to shut the hell up.  That's when things almost got ugly.

Oh one more incident, one of the girls on the other team slapped a girl on our team and got a yellow card (it really should have been red) and the parent of the girl that got the yellow yells out "great job honey!!"

::)

I put this in the useless thread cause really, those parents on the other side are useless.  I hope the league does something.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: July 25, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
I hear stories like that all the time and have seen plenty as a coach and a spectator. Lost count how many times Ive said politely to people, Please relax and just cheer them on. I  got into it verbally with some parents one night, there's been a few, when this loud mouth witch told my 13 year old son to f-off because he asked her  to please stop yelling. Sorry but no one talks to my kid that way, unless deserved and he'd hear it from me first. Heard all the names possible. Best thing is we were cheering for the same  team!  The comments about the refs, coaches and players is beyond acceptable. I can understand the ref thing but to criticize the players is ridiculous. They're kids ffs. Thats why now when I go watch minor sports, I sit away from the parents. Much more enjoyable.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: July 25, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Thats why now when I go watch minor sports, I sit away from the parents. Much more enjoyable.

This all day long. When I go watch a game that I'm not coaching I stand far away from the parents. I generally make my way to the zamboni entrance and stand at the glass.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: July 25, 2019, 04:12:43 PM »
Thats why now when I go watch minor sports, I sit away from the parents. Much more enjoyable.

This all day long. When I go watch a game that I'm not coaching I stand far away from the parents. I generally make my way to the zamboni entrance and stand at the glass.
I'm at the glass as well. Best part about being on the bench besides the obvious is you don't have to listen to that crap. People are ignorant.

Offline Average Joes

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: July 25, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »
I coached all my daughters teams for five years. Coaches can be jerks too. In a novice tourney final the other coach purposely picked dark jerseys knowing I only had dark. They also had white. The tourney president made us borrow jerseys because we were 1st. The rules were not clear on that point but they wouldn't budge and I wanted to come back next year.  I had checked with this team's convener pre-tourney to make sure they had both colours since I told them I could only wear dark.  That was a mistake. They used it as a strategy to make my girls uncomfortable.  The parents on that team were running in the stands high-fiving, holding huge signs and screaming their heads off. They were crazy.  Unfortunately, our goalie let in almost every shot and we lost.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: July 26, 2019, 05:48:43 AM »

I'm at the glass as well. Best part about being on the bench besides the obvious is you don't have to listen to that crap. People are ignorant.

the worst rinks out there are the ones that have the fans directly behind the bench.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: July 29, 2019, 01:43:44 PM »

Highlight of my day, I tell ya what.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: July 29, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »

And the sperm whale is distinctly white. Metaphors abound.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: July 29, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
Too slippery to ever grasp.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: August 16, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »

Sure, the coming Climate catastrophe might seem scary what with the extreme weather, millions displaced and shifting coastlines but have you ever stopped to consider that some Canadians might be able to make money off of it?

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/joe-oliver-heres-a-truth-few-dare-to-utter-canada-will-benefit-from-climate-change?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1565872641

-Karl Marx

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: August 16, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »
What’s surprising about that article isn’t the content of it but rather the author.  Hypocrite.

Former Harper government minister, eh?  Weren’t these the people who were going to do zip about climate change initiatives?  Demonizing our environment (lack of protection for sensitive areas ex. endangered species /fish/ waterways, etc.) and paving the way for big business to plow over everything asunder.

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: August 21, 2019, 09:21:28 AM »
A limited series podcast I'd recommend:  The Shrink Next Door.  It's a true story told in 8 episodes that I think is better listened to without first knowing what it's about.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: August 28, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »
Dave Karpf performing the necessary social service of repeatedly dunking on Bret Stephens is the internet content I never knew I desperately needed.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: August 28, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »
Dave Karpf performing the necessary social service of repeatedly dunking on Bret Stephens is the internet content I never knew I desperately needed.

I think one of the things it's done is really pull the pants down on just the absolutely ridiculous notion that gets passed around that either the modern generation or progressives are somehow quicker to be offended than past generations/more conservative people.

I was just recently reading about the life of Lenny Bruce and basically he's someone whose entirely life was derailed by the fact that the populace at large used to be so offended by words or ideas that they didn't like that they would literally throw you in jail if you violated their norms. George Carlin, in the most famous stand-up comedy routine of all time, talked about how there were words that people found so offensive that they would literally ban them from being said on-air.

Modern day progressives ask that you take people's feelings into consideration or they may protest you or organize a boycott against you, past generations demanded you adhere to obscenity or blasphemy laws or they'd sentence you to prison.
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1829 on: August 28, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »