Author Topic: Rick Nash potentially available  (Read 66543 times)

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Rick Nash potentially available
« on: February 14, 2012, 08:29:22 AM »
So a lot of rumours about Rick Nash and the Rangers.  Pierre McGuire was even discussing it, at length, this morning on the Team 1200.

The rumoured deal is Brandon Dubinsky, Chris Kreider and a 1st round pick.

Question:  Can we not beat that?  I love Dubinsky, and I realize Kreider is a very good prospect, but it's not a blow your socks off package by any means... also, do we WANT to beat that?

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Rick Nash potentially available
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
So a lot of rumours about Rick Nash and the Rangers.  Pierre McGuire was even discussing it, at length, this morning on the Team 1200.

Question:  Can we not beat that?  I love Dubinsky, and I realize Kreider is a very good prospect, but it's not a blow your socks off package by any means... also, do we WANT to beat that?

Better question... Do we want to be asking somewhere down the road; Why didn't we beat that?

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »

Dubinsky's been having a pretty bad season too.

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »

Better question... Do we want to be asking somewhere down the road; Why didn't we beat that?

That contract is a bit of a stumbling block. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but there is definitely some cause for hesitation.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »

That contract is a bit of a stumbling block. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but there is definitely some cause for hesitation.

Would you rather pay 7.8 to Nash next year or 7.8 to Connolly and Armstrong?

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »

Would you rather pay 7.8 to Nash next year or 7.8 to Connolly and Armstrong?

That's not the question here, as you're not trading those two for Nash.

Take a look at Nash's career points and tell me you are comfortable paying him 7.8 mil per year until 2018. The guy is basically a 65 point player. Most teams give long term to get a break on $, but Columbus had to give him both just to keep him from jumping as a UFA.

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »

Dubinsky's been having a pretty bad season too.

Yup.  He's basically on par with Kulemin for 2 years now.

Dubinksy, 25 years old, $4.2M

51 games, 6 goals, 18 assists, 24 pts, + 13
(Last year 24 goals, 54 points)
-----------------------------------

Kulemin, 25 years old, $2.35M

56 games, 5 goals, 18 assists, 23 points, + 2
(last year 30 goals, 57 points).

Kulemin = Dubinsky (at roughly half the cost!)
Kadri = Kreider
Our first will likely be better than the Rangers first
Heck, throw in Aulie or Holzer

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »

Take a look at Nash's career points and tell me you are comfortable paying him 7.8 mil per year until 2018. The guy is basically a 65 point player. Most teams give long term to get a break on $, but Columbus had to give him both just to keep him from jumping as a UFA.

Fair enough. Still, he's a talented enough player with loads of potential to be worth his hit I think.

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »

Fair enough. Still, he's a talented enough player with loads of potential to be worth his hit I think.

There is no way he justifies that salary unless he puts up over a point per game every year and is a threat to win the Rocket every year.

Hitting a few guys doesn't make up for the $2 million per year he is overpaid by.

Offline Zid

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »

There is no way he justifies that salary unless he puts up over a point per game every year and is a threat to win the Rocket every year.

Hitting a few guys doesn't make up for the $2 million per year he is overpaid by.

Burke is already overpaying Lombardi, Komisarek, Connoly, Phaneuf and Armstrong. What's Nash to that list.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:27 AM »

He pretty much has to be on par with guys like Stamkos and Malkin to be worth that cap hit, and I really don't see that in him.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »

I think the more important question is whether or not there's any truth to that rumoured deal. Every other rumour I've seen about Nash says the price is "ridiculously high," and, quite frankly, that deal doesn't fit. I'm not sure Columbus even moves Carter for that, never mind Nash.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Crake

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »

Burke is already overpaying Lombardi, Komisarek, Connoly, Phaneuf and Armstrong. What's Nash to that list.

Three of those players were signed as UFA's. Every UFA is overpaid. That is the price you have to pay to get a player without giving up any assets in a trade.

The other two were given those contracts by other teams, and were only available in a trade because they are overpaid. Having an overpaid Phaneuf and Lombardi (and, by extension, Franson) is better than not having players of that quality.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »

He pretty much has to be on par with guys like Stamkos and Malkin to be worth that cap hit, and I really don't see that in him.

I don't think it's an insane number for him. He's still a very, very good hockey player... and for what it's worth, I think Malkin and Stamkos are pretty much bargains. I mean, you're talking about two of the top 5 players in the league.

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »

That's not entirely true.

Guys in the $7M+ range are:  Doughty, Iginla, Thornton, Spezza, Vanek, Campbell, Gomez, Weber, Stamkos, Gaborik, Heatley, Lecavalier, Staal, then the obvious Malkin, Crosby, Ovy.

I'd rather have Nash than a number of those guys.