Author Topic: The Official Technology Thread  (Read 39360 times)

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Technology Thread
« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »
I just moved to their 100Mbps service, very happy so far.

Download speeds over 10MB/sec with it.

If their DSL service goes well for me, that's definitely on my list for an upgrade. Glad to hear it's working out for you. I'm assuming you have a router to give you wireless capabilities?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline harps64

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 13, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
Been with Teksavvy for almost 3 yrs now and very happy with the service. I have 30Mbps and 150 MB for $48 including tax per month. I think the package is called 30 cable lite. We do a lot of streaming as well with Kodi, never any buffering issues.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 13, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »
Been with Teksavvy for almost 3 yrs now and very happy with the service. I have 30Mbps and 150 MB for $48 including tax per month. I think the package is called 30 cable lite. We do a lot of streaming as well with Kodi, never any buffering issues.

I've been with Teksavvy about 2 years now and have only had occasional issues.  When they do have issues it seems to last on and off for days.  Earlier this year I had terrible speeds and lost connection for a few days in a row, but overall i'm happy.  I'm on 35 down/3up plan that I don't think they offer anymore.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 30, 2016, 01:26:18 AM »
Look Ma, no driver!  Have yourself a seat and watch a Tesla being driven driverless... (the human in the car is there for legal purposes):

https://techvibes.com/2016/10/20/autonomous-tesla-drive-itself-around-town

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »
I need some help here...my laptop crapped out, so I'm on the hunt for a new one...also a deal.

I use it for work, and my wife uses it for netflix.  Mostly Office software usage, and I've got about 160000 emails (backed up on Office exchange Server)...here's what I believe I need:

i3 minimum
256GB SSD
touchscreen, and keyboard preferably with number pad due to extensive Excel usage
8GB   

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:34 AM »
I might be wrong about this but I've been semi-seriously shopping for a Laptop for sometime now, my current one is four years on and barely hanging on, and I haven't seen much in the way of real deals or even much variance at any price point. Basically it seems like you set your budget and get what the industry has decided that buys you. From what I've read it seems less like hardware specs are going to be the difference and more reliability/design/battery life that swings from brand to brand.

This is what I've been looking at recently: Dell Inspiron 7000. Seems like it'd meet your criteria except for the number pad.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:13:09 PM by Nik the Trik »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »

I might be wrong about this but I've been semi-seriously shopping for a Laptop for sometime now, my current one is four years on and barely hanging on, and I haven't seen much in the way of real deals or even much variance at any price point. Basically it seems like you set your budget and get what the industry has decided that buys you. From what I've read it seems less like hardware specs are going to be the difference and more reliability/design/battery life that swings from brand to brand.

Thanks Nik.  After speaking with some more knowledgeable folks, they seem to agree with you.

I'm hoping for a boxing week deal on something on Amazon.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2016, 07:09:21 PM »
I'm hoping for a boxing week deal on something on Amazon.

I'm by no means an expert, but I get a new laptop every two years for the last twenty years through work - I've had Dells, HPs, IBMs/Lenovos, etc etc. None were markedly more reliable than the other. If I was buying one for myself, I'd likely buy it from Costco simply due to their exchange/return policy.... I think it's 90 days, as opposed to the 30 day standard, and they'll take back a half eaten sandwich - which is nice because a lot of retailers are horrible with post-sale issues and simply refer the customer back to the manufacturer with any issues. I've heard of some full on nightmares dealing with some of the other big box stores and their apathy and fine print.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2016, 02:10:17 AM »
This one's appealing though no optical drive. Seems to incorporate a (separate) numbered keypad.  Powerful enough for business, multi-tasking, and gaming.  Have a look:

https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Laptop-Intel-256GB-Windows/dp/B0146DD02G
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:26:01 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
Thanks for your help guys and girl...the Dell Nik suggested is at $999 on bestbuy online, but no number keypad.  Seems like a deal though too.

The hf1 suggestion almost fits, but no touchscreen.

And the costco one I suggested just went down to $1009.  I'm tempted to pull the trigger there, but I think I'll still wait for boxing week.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
Thanks for your help guys and girl...the Dell Nik suggested is at $999 on bestbuy online, but no number keypad.  Seems like a deal though too.

The hf1 suggestion almost fits, but no touchscreen.

And the costco one I suggested just went down to $1009.  I'm tempted to pull the trigger there, but I think I'll still wait for boxing week.

Any tech savvy friends? You could build a rig twice as powerful for half the price if you assemble yourself.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »
Any tech savvy friends? You could build a rig twice as powerful for half the price if you assemble yourself.

Huh. I've heard of people doing that with desktops before but never with laptops.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »

Huh. I've heard of people doing that with desktops before but never with laptops.

You're correct, my mistake.

EDIT: It is possible btw, just a much longer process requiring a lot more technical ability.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:05:15 PM by WhatIfGodWasALeaf »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »

You're correct, my mistake.

EDIT: It is possible btw, just a much longer process requiring a lot more technical ability.

Thanks for nothing WIGWAL.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »