Author Topic: Leafs sign Michael Hutchinson  (Read 450 times)

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Leafs sign Michael Hutchinson
« on: October 30, 2020, 10:35:15 AM »

I suggested that they would do this, but that was prior to the Dell signing. A little odd to have him back now.

One explanation is that it does satisfy the expansion draft requirement of needing to expose a goalie under contract in 21/22.

Maybe some insurance in case Dell doesn't go through waivers too, although I expect he will.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs sign Michael Hutchinson
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »
Probably not a bad idea to have more NHL ready goaltenders in the system this year too.  If Freddy/Campbell get hurt/get COVID it might not be the best approach to have Woll or Scott forced to play in the NHL this year.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »
Yeah why not

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
Lol. This is almost certainly for expansion draft purposes.

Hutch was pretty decent in the AHL, though. So, as long as he only plays for the Marlies, it's all good.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 10:54:28 AM »
I love this chaos
#BeBlessed

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
One explanation is that it does satisfy the expansion draft requirement of needing to expose a goalie under contract in 21/22.

Maybe some insurance in case Dell doesn't go through waivers too, although I expect he will.
I don't think it has much to do with Dell. Dell will be pushing for the backup role. There's no guarantee Campbell is #2 yet.
I think this move is purely for the Expansion Draft seeing he's on a 2 year contract.
By all accounts though, players love him and at worst, he's a good mentor for the kids(Scott, Woll).

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
I don't think it has much to do with Dell. Dell will be pushing for the backup role. There's no guarantee Campbell is #2 yet.

Nah, barring Campbell having an absolute crapshow of a training camp and then like kicking a bunch of puppies or something he has the back-up spot locked down.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 11:28:04 AM »
I'll eat my hat if Campbell isn't backing up Andersen this coming season.

Unless all hell breaks loose on the injury front, Hutch will be playing for the Marlies.

I think this sort of signing shows that the Leafs really don't have enough young goaltending talent, and really haven't produced a player since Reimer.

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »

I think this sort of signing shows that the Leafs really don't have enough young goaltending talent, and really haven't produced a player since Reimer.

As you mention that it just hit me thinking that since I started watching the leafs, which was in 89, they have drafted 2 star level goalies; Potvin and rask. That is pathetic over a 30 year span.

What is it with this team and goalies.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 11:46:05 AM by Joe S. »

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »

As you mention that it just hit me thinking that since I started watching the leafs, which was in 89, they have drafted 2 star level goalies; Potvin and rask. That is pathetic over a 30 year span.

Is it? I mean, just off the top of my head the Devils have only drafted two goalies who were stars over the same stretch in Brodeur and Schneider(assuming we're not counting Mike Dunham). Have the Avalanche drafted any besides maybe Varlamov? Have the Stars drafted anyone other than Turco?

I mean, my math may be off here but if you figure that over a 30 year span there are 10 individual seasons by a goalie per year that are "star level" for and that some guys like Roy or Brodeur have 10-15 years at that level then you figure that there are roughly around 80 or 90 goalies at most who have been "star level" for any length of time over 30 years and drafting 2 or 3 is probably the average.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »
I started thinking that after I hit submit... that?s a fair analysis.

I guess I?m still bitter over the rask trade.

Online Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 12:10:56 PM »

Is it? I mean, just off the top of my head the Devils have only drafted two goalies who were stars over the same stretch in Brodeur and Schneider(assuming we're not counting Mike Dunham). Have the Avalanche drafted any besides maybe Varlamov? Have the Stars drafted anyone other than Turco?

I mean, my math may be off here but if you figure that over a 30 year span there are 10 individual seasons by a goalie per year that are "star level" for and that some guys like Roy or Brodeur have 10-15 years at that level then you figure that there are roughly around 80 or 90 goalies at most who have been "star level" for any length of time over 30 years and drafting 2 or 3 is probably the average.
I don't disagree with any of this, but would note that Cory Schneider was drafted by Vancouver, not New Jersey.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Sucker punching Logan Couture
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
I don't disagree with any of this, but would note that Cory Schneider was drafted by Vancouver, not New Jersey.

Well, there you go.

Also, it is worth saying that the Leafs probably got the least actual goaltending out of their 2 star goalie picks of anyone.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »

What is it with this team and goalies.
Guess how many Boston drafted that turned out since 90? They've drafted 23 and only 3 have done ok. John Grahame(224gm), Raycroft(280gm), Hutch(127gm).
Habs have drafted 20 and 5 have had great success. Vokun(700), Theodore(648)(Both drafted in 94 also). Garon(341)Halak(520), Price(682). Edmonton has one Dubnyk(520) out of 31.
I would also consider Reimer as a success. You don't play in 363 NHL if you're crap.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:30:41 PM by Guilt Trip »

Online Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 12:34:11 PM »
Yeah yeah I get it. My assessment was wrong.

Reimer is fine as a middle of the pack goalie. But he?s no star.