• For users coming over from tmlfans.ca your username will remain the same but you will need to use the password reset feature (check your spam folder) on the login page in order to set your password. If you encounter issues, email Rick at: couchmanrick@gmail.com

Canadiens @ Leafs - Sept. 29th, 7:00pm - SN

Jack Han (former Leaf dev ops) had some notes from the game, as he is Montreal-based now.

I’m a big believer in McKenna’s potential and believe that, if all goes according to plan, he can become a Patrick Kane-level winger for TOR.

However, the 2026 first overall pick didn’t make much of an impact against MTL, logging 12 minutes at 5v5 with a measly 30.8% shot share (+8/-18).

The problem wasn’t ability, but rather process.

Had McKenna started his game by making six consecutive positive plays with the puck, he would have a) remained on the Tavares-Nylander unit and b) likely already gotten on the score sheet.

Unlike at Penn State, McKenna is now suiting up alongside world-class playmakers and finishers. If he does just enough to keep TOR in possession, sooner or later the puck will find its way into the opposing net. Then McKenna will see his name featured more prominently on the box score.

I agree with this note: McKenna doesn't have to be The Guy right now. But to stay in the top six, he does have to, at minimum, help chain plays and keep possession alive for something to coalesce. That's all Cowan did when he joined the line for those handful of shifts: get to his spots, move the puck to a better spot, rinse and repeat. And when the play matured to an opening, he was there to receive a pass and make a play.

McKenna already made adjustments between preseason game 1 and game 2 that held him in good stead, and now he has seen how much time he really doesn't have when the puck is on his stick. I think he will figure it out sooner rather than later.
 
He's 18 years old and played his first NHL game. I think he'll be ok. I really wish there was a way for players like McKenna to get some time in the AHL. With his talent though, obviously no problem going to the NHL vs college/WHL
 
  • Like
Reactions: YYZ
He's 18 years old and played his first NHL game. I think he'll be ok. I really wish there was a way for players like McKenna to get some time in the AHL. With his talent though, obviously no problem going to the NHL vs college/WHL

The new rules do allow for Mckenna to be sent down to the AHL.
 
Honestly I think this is going to take way longer than 5 games to really know how this team will play. Usually October hockey is a sloppy mess. Now we had an even shorter preseason and essentially have an entirely new team and play style/coach.

We need to bank on our top end players carrying enough of the load until the team gels.
True. I think the hope is that they continue to get better as the season progresses. I should have said that I am going to assess the team in 5 game chunks.
 
True. I think the hope is that they continue to get better as the season progresses. I should have said that I am going to assess the team in 5 game chunks.

Allow me to introduce you to the chunk thread then

 
To play devil's advocate, it's game 1. I didn't think any of Montreal's top guys looked that effective either. And by today's metric McKenna is a bust, so I'd rather wait before making any sweeping takeaways. Except other than maybe that Marchenko is really fun to watch.
It is not a sweeping takeaway from game 1. Issues like this were raised when they signed him.

There are a number of warts in his game. He displayed some in this game.
I don't want to pound them. He's our dman. They got him for a reason. We need his help.
He comes with a hefty price tag. He kind of hit the lottery going from near NHL minimum to 8 yrs x $8.5 mil.
The Leafs overpaid but they did not have a lot of options: Matthews has to make a big decision and the team finished 28th. There were not a lot of UFA options - which probably factored into them keeping Rielly as well.

For his longevity in Toronto, I'm just trying to reign in the top 2 stuff - trying to get the expectations down some to help him survive and prosper. He deserves some respect because he's come a long, long way. He was a forward who couldn't skate and at age 16 or so and moved to defense. Bad skating still meant no draft and no contract. But he used his forward skills to rack up points in the OHL. He applied them in the AHL and finally got a NHL deal at age 22? He continued to work at his game in the AHL - particularly the skating and eventually made it to the NHL as a regular at age 27.

Stecher is a 5-6-7 dman. He's made $13.8 mil in the NHL at age 32. Raddysh has made $2.92 mil in the NHL at age 30. So to me, some of the $8.5 mil/yr is compensation/reward for him finally persevering and making it. He was on a two way deal in the AHL so he wasn't making tons of AHL money there. He cleared waivers twice.

First thing you have to get used to is he isn't fast. It is probably between him and Joshua as to who is the slowest on the Leafs. In his 3 regular seasons in Tampa, he was between 6th and 11th in hits/60, blocks/60 and takeaways/60. But that is probably due to his limited mobility. His positioning has to be conservative because he can't get back quickly enough. It does present itself with problems in his gaps. He also makes gaffes like the grenade he tossed from his red line to the middle of the Leafs d-zone last night. His TOI/game was 4th among Tbay dmen in 2023-24, 5th in 2024-25 and 1st in 2025-26. He became 1st in 2025-26 because Hedman went down. Getting Hedman's ice time and PP time, he exploded for 22 goals and 70 points - in spite of all those warts. And he cashed in.

I think he's roughly a #1 offensive dman and a #4/5 defensive dman. He's only played 251 NHL games - hundreds less than any of the Leafs other top 6.

BUT before wringing your hands too much, his advanced stats look pretty good. Stats like Relative Expected Goals For or Corsi for example. So he's found a way (Or Tampa found a way or both) to play effectively overall around the warts.
So I'm just trying to keep the expectations down as it will probably take the Leafs & Raddysh some time to work this out. But I am pulling for him.

If you think I got that all from game 1, I don't know what else to say ...
 
Last edited:
There was more entertainment in the in depth highlights I watched of last nights game than in pretty much all the highlights of every game I watched last season combined.

I’m good with that as a starting point.
 
Honestly I think this is going to take way longer than 5 games to really know how this team will play. Usually October hockey is a sloppy mess. Now we had an even shorter preseason and essentially have an entirely new team and play style/coach.

We need to bank on our top end players carrying enough of the load until the team gels.
I've had my fingers crossed for 10 games but won't be shocked if it is 15-20 before they're firing on all cylinders.
They should get progressively better as they go.
They have to avoid getting in too deep of a hole in the standings.
 
Back
Top