Author Topic: Pietrangelo Watch  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Pietrangelo Watch
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »
As much as I'd like to have AP, I'm def starting to lean towards the not signing him side. 7 mill per max....let someone else over pay him.

Where else are they gonna find a right hand shot like him?  The Leafs window is only as open as the Matthews contract which is 4 years left.  Might as well take a big swing now, go big or go home.
That's why I was, well still, on the fence in the first place. I think we can survive losing Kerfoot and Johnsson to sign him but it's that 7 year term. Don't worry, later today I'll be leaning towards get him lol. I guess the bottom line will be the dollars involved. If we can get him under 8??

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »
As much as I'd like to have AP, I'm def starting to lean towards the not signing him side. 7 mill per max....let someone else over pay him.

Where else are they gonna find a right hand shot like him?  The Leafs window is only as open as the Matthews contract which is 4 years left.  Might as well take a big swing now, go big or go home.
That's why I was, well still, on the fence in the first place. I think we can survive losing Kerfoot and Johnsson to sign him but it's that 7 year term. Don't worry, later today I'll be leaning towards get him lol. I guess the bottom line will be the dollars involved. If we can get him under 8??

I'm like a crazed GM on his last ropes not worrying about 7 years down the road.  I've waited long enough for a Cup to my team let's do this, damn the torpedos.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2020, 03:56:37 PM »

I'm like a crazed GM on his last ropes not worrying about 7 years down the road.  I've waited long enough for a Cup to my team let's do this, damn the torpedos.

Who you shipping out to make the space?
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »

It's a way to look at it.  I'm not sure I necessarily want to put all our eggs into the basket of win before Matthews leaves in 4 years basket though.  Realistically we have the chance of having Marner/Matthews/Nylander here as elite players for another 10 years.  Signing Pietrangelo to a big deal is great.  It also means we lose Rielly in a year.  So are the Leafs that much better of a Cup contender with a garbage bottom 6 fowards because we can't pay anyone by simply replacing Rielly with Pietrangelo?  I'm not sure that's really the case.  It would make us much better on the defense this year and then we could be a world of trouble the year after that.

Ovechkin didn't win his Cup until his 13th season with the Capitals.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2020, 05:12:33 PM »

It's a way to look at it.  I'm not sure I necessarily want to put all our eggs into the basket of win before Matthews leaves in 4 years basket though.  Realistically we have the chance of having Marner/Matthews/Nylander here as elite players for another 10 years.  Signing Pietrangelo to a big deal is great.  It also means we lose Rielly in a year.  So are the Leafs that much better of a Cup contender with a garbage bottom 6 fowards because we can't pay anyone by simply replacing Rielly with Pietrangelo?  I'm not sure that's really the case.  It would make us much better on the defense this year and then we could be a world of trouble the year after that.

Ovechkin didn't win his Cup until his 13th season with the Capitals.
We would have Rielly/Pietrangelo for 2 years, then hope Sandin can be ready in 2022/2023 to take over a bigger role.  Bottom 6 they have to entice those bargain bin deals for vets like Spezza took this year. I'm old, I don't want to wait another decade.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2020, 06:12:24 PM »

Who you shipping out to make the space?
Kerfoot and Johnsson will do it.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
Yeah, I don't want the Leafs to end up like Edmonton here.  I'm not sure you can do it with Kerfoot and Johnsson.

When you have a glaring weakness, it needs to be addressed.  Pietrangelo costs nothing but money/cap.

Trade from a position of strength with Nylander or Marner if you have to.  I'd really like to see Rielly have a couple of years with a proper top shelf RHD to play with, maybe Rielly gets even better learning from the guy.  I've said it before, but Pietrangelo is a known quantity.  He's really good at a position the Leafs currently have Holl as the best option...and I don't like that guy. 

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2020, 06:56:36 PM »
You just said you don?t want to be Edmonton and then recommended trading out one of the team?s top wingers for a defenseman.
#BeBlessed

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »
You just said you don?t want to be Edmonton and then recommended trading out one of the team?s top wingers for a defenseman.

Pietrangelo's a bit better than Larsson, no?

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2020, 07:16:56 PM »
Would it be better to go with Pietrangelo, or to go with DeMelo and Brodie?

I'm just wondering if quantity or top end quality is a better move.  Defence by committee kind of like what the Leafs did in the early 90's.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2020, 07:27:28 PM »
We would have Rielly/Pietrangelo for 2 years, then hope Sandin can be ready in 2022/2023 to take over a bigger role.  Bottom 6 they have to entice those bargain bin deals for vets like Spezza took this year. I'm old, I don't want to wait another decade.

You think the Leafs are a Pietrangelo away from winning a cup? 

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »

Why not? The friggin Islanders nearly made it to the final and the Stars did. Get on a roll at the right time and you never know. A guy like Pietrangelo would soak up alot of minutes

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2020, 07:38:25 PM »
I'm not sure you can do it with Kerfoot and Johnsson.

You can do it.. Challenging but you can make it work if he comes in at 8 mill.
This is a little different then the one I did yesterday. You could potentially have Dermott if you could sign  Mikheyev and Rodrigues to 1.25 mill deals. Of course the 4th line could even go cheaper if need be.

Hyman(2.25) Matthews(11,634,000) Marner(10,893,000)
Robertson(821,667) JT(11) Nylander(6,962,366)
Mikheyev(1.5) Engvall(1.25) Barabanov(925)
Rodrigues(1.5) Spezza(1) Simmonds(1)

Rielly(5) Pietrangelo(8mill)
Muzz(5.625) Holl(2)
Sandin(894,167) Lehtonen(925)

Freddie(5) Campbell(1.65)

plus 1.2 for Kessel for a total of 81,030,200 and would leave the Leafs with $469,800 in cap space.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2020, 07:41:48 PM »

Why not? The friggin Islanders nearly made it to the final and the Stars did. Get on a roll at the right time and you never know. A guy like Pietrangelo would soak up alot of minutes
Agree..AP could make a huge difference. Get the forwards to buy in a little more like they did during the playoffs and who knows? If the Leafs got past Boston last year, they may have been the team going to the finals. We don't know.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2020, 10:12:57 AM »
Agree..AP could make a huge difference. Get the forwards to buy in a little more like they did during the playoffs and who knows? If the Leafs got past Boston last year, they may have been the team going to the finals. We don't know.

Adding him to the roster as-is could make a huge difference. Having to move out significant pieces or torpedo the team's depth upfront to bring him in? I'm not sure that actually moves the needle in any significant way.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan