Author Topic: COVID Cap Crunch - 2020 Offseason  (Read 7787 times)

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: COVID Cap Crunch - 2020 Offseason
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »
I don't really know how bad Edmundson is. Just taking a quick look at ice time, he averaged the most PK time in the playoffs and was 3rd in TOI time. Is he a 4th, 5th, worse? Habs have lots of picks so not a big loss.

He?s really good at a) letting opponents get good chances b) dumping the puck at the slightest sign of pressure c) not being where he?s supposed to be to receive passes.

https://hockeyviz.com/player/edmunjo93/CAR/1920
Check out Carolina?s attack/defense with and without Edmunson. Shades of Ben Harpur where you gotta ask, which team are you playing for, bud?

I really hope Montreal signs him.
Thanks for the explanation. Well then this is a bizarre trade then. Hopefully they do sign him to a huge contract!

They have essentially the same (but older model) in Karl Alzner. Maybe they want a nice stay at home safe LD for Weber or Petry to be anchored down by.
#BeBlessed

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
Food for thought:

https://theleafsnation.com/2020/09/13/mo-money-no-problems-for-the-leafs/
It's been mentioned a few times now about teams setting a lower internal cap. I think if the Leafs truly want to move on from Freddie they should deal him to the Coyotes for Kuemper. Kuemper is signed for 2 more years, 3.5 next season and 5.5 in 21/22, while Freddie is only owed 1 mill in real money for next year. It would benefit both teams if the reports are right that the Yotes want to cut payroll. Yotes would save 2.5 mill in real money and not handcuff their goaltending position and the Leafs would save .5mill in cap space and have a very good goalie locked up for 2 years. Win win.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
I don't get this move at all. Was Bergevin thinking there'd be a bidding war for this guy and wanted to get in early?   Makes me hopeful the Leafs can flip Barrie's rights for a pick. I mean why not we're not bringing him back.
If the money is low enough, I could see the Leafs resigning him but it would have to be a really cheap contract.
I wouldn't want him at more than 3m per. He just cannibalizes offense.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »
I don't get this move at all. Was Bergevin thinking there'd be a bidding war for this guy and wanted to get in early?   Makes me hopeful the Leafs can flip Barrie's rights for a pick. I mean why not we're not bringing him back.
If the money is low enough, I could see the Leafs resigning him but it would have to be a really cheap contract.
I wouldn't want him at more than 3m per. He just cannibalizes offense.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

I think if they can get him at 3mill, they will and then aim at a shutdown guy to play with Rielly.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »
DANGIT
#BeBlessed

Online Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
Capfriendly has it at $6m.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
Wouldn't be stunned if this turned out to be a Vlasic-type deal where he's certainly worth it for a little while because of how good he is defensively but if his defensive play even dips a little bit that combined with a non-existent offensive game could make the back half of the deal a little rough.

Online Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
Wouldn't be stunned if this turned out to be a Vlasic-type deal where he's certainly worth it for a little while because of how good he is defensively but if his defensive play even dips a little bit that combined with a non-existent offensive game could make the back half of the deal a little rough.

Pretty nice little top 4 there they've got.  Spurgeon, Suter, Brodin, Dumba.

Their offense is a different story.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 02:47:55 PM »

Is this not the Minnesota Wild Way?

Their capsheet is so weird. Definitely going 8-1 for the expansion draft? Or trading away something useful for Seattle soft-protect their youngest top-4 defenseman?
#BeBlessed

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 02:51:55 PM »
Probably just confirms that Dumba is on his way out for forward help.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »
Is this not the Minnesota Wild Way?

Their capsheet is so weird. Definitely going 8-1 for the expansion draft? Or trading away something useful for Seattle soft-protect their youngest top-4 defenseman?

Part of me wonders if they'll try to get Suter to waive his NMC so they can expose him. They have leaned pretty heavily on him, but he'll be 36 by the time the expansion draft rolls around and carries a large cap hit.

That being said, they don't have a ton they really need to protect upfront, so, going 8-1 is probably the more likely option.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
I am just reminding myself now that Fletcher traded Alex Tuch to protect that D core, and had Vegas pick Eric Haula.
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
Capfriendly has it at $6m.

Projecting fans back in the stands in 3 years, eh?
#BeBlessed

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »
That being said, they don't have a ton they really need to protect upfront, so, going 8-1 is probably the more likely option.

Even if you expect them to sign a top-6 forward like say Hoffman this offseason, they could still probably go the 8-1 protection route and the best forward exposed would be like... Luke Kunin? Maybe Jordan Greenway? I don't think they're really sweating that one. Still think Dumba gets traded by then though.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
Even if you expect them to sign a top-6 forward like say Hoffman this offseason, they could still probably go the 8-1 protection route and the best forward exposed would be like... Luke Kunin? Maybe Jordan Greenway? I don't think they're really sweating that one. Still think Dumba gets traded by then though.

Yeah. They don't have a clear 4th forward to protect. They really only have one forward that they'd need to protect from a talent and age POV. Parise and Zuccarello are useful forwards, but with their age and cap hits, if they didn't have NMCs, I'd consider exposing them just to be rid of their contracts.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 03:32:45 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan