Author Topic: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 37007 times)

Bill_Berg and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #1110 on: January 21, 2021, 11:21:26 AM »
I don't disagree, per se. But the function of the shutdown line is to make nothing happen at our net, so while it's hard thankless work, I can't say that it takes a talent our roster does not have. Getting a top-line capable complementary winger is harder and Hyman is the only one left who fits the bill.

Keefe will have lots of options. If he thinks Hyman is the only guy who could/should replace Thornton then that's fine, but the Tavares line will need to take on more match-ups. Maybe that requires Mikheyev replacing Vesey on it, and that's fine too. This option stacks our top-6 but leaves our bottom-6 looking a little weak.

He could also keep the checking line in tact and throw in a guy like Barabanov or Simmonds on the top line just to see if they could fill that role temporarily.

Or maybe the middle ground option is to take Mikheyev off the checking line to replace Thornton and have Barabanov or Engvall take the spot on the 3rd line. While I like Mikheyev I don't think his presence is as essential to the line's success as Hyman's so that might work.

There's lot of options that I'd be open to seeing Keefe try... except the Hyman-less checking line one.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 21, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »
I don't disagree, per se. But the function of the shutdown line is to make nothing happen at our net, so while it's hard thankless work, I can't say that it takes a talent our roster does not have. Getting a top-line capable complementary winger is harder and Hyman is the only one left who fits the bill.

Keefe will have lots of options. If he thinks Hyman is the only guy who could/should replace Thornton then that's fine, but the Tavares line will need to take on more match-ups. Maybe that requires Mikheyev replacing Vesey on it, and that's fine too. This option stacks our top-6 but leaves our bottom-6 looking a little weak.

He could also keep the checking line in tact and throw in a guy like Barabanov or Simmonds on the top line just to see if they could fill that role temporarily.

Or maybe the middle ground option is to take Mikheyev off the checking line to replace Thornton and have Barabanov or Engvall take the spot on the 3rd line. While I like Mikheyev I don't think his presence is as essential to the line's success as Hyman's so that might work.

There's lot of options that I'd be open to seeing Keefe try... except the Hyman-less checking line one.

I agree. I think he should put Vesey on the checking line and move Mikheyev up. Like you said, try Barabanov or Simmonds with one of the top 2 lines and see how it goes. If Barabanov is this supposed puck hound, we'll see it soon enough.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 21, 2021, 11:36:08 AM »

It's on.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 21, 2021, 11:45:00 AM »

It's on.
Moves could be coming today...wonder which way the Leafs will go. LTIR, Emergency or demote Lehtonen and use 2 of Boyd, Anderson, Brooks.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 21, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »

Yep, lots of options. I'm somewhat hesitant to move Mikheyev up for the same reason as you. There needs to be some offensive threat on the third line.

I might actually try Simmonds or even Spezza on the top line. Spezza's got the mind for it.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 21, 2021, 12:12:42 PM »
Matthews was on the ice briefly but left as the practice got underway.
#BeBlessed

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 21, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »

Yep, lots of options. I'm somewhat hesitant to move Mikheyev up for the same reason as you. There needs to be some offensive threat on the third line.

I might actually try Simmonds or even Spezza on the top line. Spezza's got the mind for it.

He may have the mind for it but what else? Thornton obviously has the mind for it but had nothing else to offer and was a drag on the line. They need someone who can at the least keep up with Matthews and Marner in terms of skating. Spezza? Sure, try it but I don't think it'll work. Same with Vesey, too slow. Better chances of meshing with someone like Engvall, Milkheyev, Hyman (obviously). I'd even consider trying Barabanov (see what he's got) or Brooks, though I'm not sure if Brooks is quick enough either.

Anderson is interesting but I've never really seen him play.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 21, 2021, 12:26:53 PM »

Not the lines I would have predicted but I'm assuming this falls into the "no more shutdown line+we don't want to decimate our bottom-6" category of options.

Hopefully Simmonds makes the most of this opportunity. Montreal fight aside I think he's been a tad underwhelming so far. In his defence his usage/minutes have been pretty limited/sporadic.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 21, 2021, 12:31:48 PM »
Hopefully just a maintenance day after playing Matthews half the game for the first 5?

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 21, 2021, 12:34:00 PM »
Hopefully just a maintenance day after playing Matthews half the game for the first 5?

Reports were that he came on the ice and then left pretty quickly. Could be absolutely nothing, but a scheduled maintenance day seems unlikely considering that.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 21, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »
#BeBlessed

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 21, 2021, 01:12:34 PM »
I think they're waiting to see Joe's MRI results before deciding what they're going to do.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 21, 2021, 03:02:26 PM »

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:16:18 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 21, 2021, 04:03:50 PM »
Tomorrow I think we may see both Lehtonen and Barabanov or Engvall moved to the active roster and Brooks and Anderson back down. Of course if Thornton is long term and goes on LTIR, they could use all 3. They could still go 11F, 7D and sit out 1 forward if they choose to. I think they have to keep playing Lehtonen and get him up to speed. I haven't been too impressed with Demott yet.
We'll see what happens to Joe soon.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 22, 2021, 10:46:00 AM »