Author Topic: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Feb. 22nd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Feb. 22nd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590
« Reply #450 on: February 23, 2020, 12:18:47 PM »
Oh I agree. And it's going to suck, but I don't know.  Maybe I'm getting numb to it now.  I really don't want to get angry about sports anymore.

I'm not angry about it. Honestly, my suggestions here really are more of a "This is just how I think organizations work" thing.

Like, take the biggest embarrassment of your life. Maybe you did something dumb to impress a girl who then cruelly laughed at you for being dumb or something. There's a big difference between holding onto the memory of it so that you learn your lesson from it(don't do dumb things) which is probably good and healthy and, say, having to talk to that girl every day.

Yeah I guess it feels like you're saying you should force that girl to move away, assuming that's in your power and legal.  Now in your example the girl is cruel, which Ayers has not been, and that may justify to some forcing the girl to move away. To suggest the Leafs should move Ayers out because he beat them in a hockey game seems to be the cruel piece. Ya it sucks, but if you don't like it, be better.

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:36 PM »
They know Ayres didn't beat them

Except he literally did. By the way statistics are figured in the NHL, Ayres won that game. In the Record books and everything. 

Take a step back and think about how unpreceden Rdted that is not just for the Leafs or Hockey, but in the history of professional sports.

I'm way more concerned about the team's mass losing than who got the win in one of those loses.  Goalies get wins and losses sure, but it wasn't Ayers' exceptional play that did the Leafs in.

They have bigger issues than having to see Ayers at practice.

Totally agree. If that's what management or anyone else for that matter is worried about him being around this team then this team has bigger issues.
Dubas needs to alter this team because it's not working and personally I think it all started with the Nylander signing.
One of the big 4 has to go maybe 2 of them. Tavares aint going anywhere and Matthews is your best player so that leaves Marner and Nylander.
Start retooling this team and get rid of some of these overpaid young stars who show up for one game then disappear for another.
Start looking to add players ala Nick Robertson who's motor don't stop and compete not only every game but every shift.
Those are the players that win you championships not players who look awesome one game then disappear the next or for that matter aren't built for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Obviously not a great year with the injuries that we've dealt with but even with a healthy team this team wasn't going anywhere.
Just not constructed to go far. Some of us can see that some can't.
Question is how long do you stick with it?
Tired of listening to these stars and saying "we have to be better". Really no sh*t.
We are 60+ games into the season wake up Dubas, Shanny and start retooling.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #451 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:36 PM »

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 23, 2020, 12:21:16 PM »
Great piece on your flights SI. I do a lot of traveling but those flights take the cake.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 23, 2020, 12:22:49 PM »
So that was my long winded way of saying, and my cheap excuse for telling that story, that look on the bright side people.  In 19 games, one way or another, the Leafs regular season will be done.

Got confused and went to airport. Purchased cinnabon.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 23, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »
Iíve been following this team for 38 years.  The best we ever did was final 4 twice. The last couple of years I started not watching every single game like I used to. Iíve missed more games in the last couple of years than I have in the previous 36. Iíve told myself I wonít start watching until they have a playoff spot guaranteed. Iím going back to that. Itís just better for my health.
Like Odin, I have been at this with the team since the last win in 67.  Some gruesome hockey, lots of it.  Had some nice years with Darryl, Lanny, Mikey and then that collapsed into the worst of the Ballard years.  Around 82 I stopped watching completely. I moved to the Caribbean in 90 and didn't even have TV.  When the internet arrived in the late 90's, I started to read about the Leafs again on line and was excited when I returned to the county in the early 2000's to watch them again.
By then we had Sundin, Roberts, Mogilny, Joseph and it was all good again. Pat Quinn, the coach.
After that more of the same until now.
We have never had more forward power and depth than we do now, so I am excited that with a few key Defensive acquisitions and developing some of our prospects that the team fills out and becomes a championship team.  Is it this year, no probably not, but with several key moves, with Souperman and Mango healthy, not to mention Rielly, we will compete again.
We just gotta stay the course.
Well said and I agree. Relax, enjoy the ride and check out the sights around you.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 23, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
Yeah I guess it feels like you're saying you should force that girl to move away, assuming that's in your power and legal.

No, I'm just making a point about embarrassment and good ways of dealing with it vs. bad ways and, to be 100% clear, I'm suggesting that if the Leafs felt like my thoughts here were on point that they treat Ayres very well and get him, you know, a better job. Not turn him out into the street.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 23, 2020, 12:27:27 PM »
Yeah I guess it feels like you're saying you should force that girl to move away, assuming that's in your power and legal.

No, I'm just making a point about embarrassment and good ways of dealing with it vs. bad ways and, to be 100% clear, I'm suggesting that if the Leafs felt like my thoughts here were on point that they treat Ayres very well and get him, you know, a better job. Not turn him out into the street.

Sure, move that girl to a nicer house. Lipstick on a pig. Own it, have the team come out next game all wearing Ayers jerseys and donate a million dollars to kideny research. That's what they should do. 

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 23, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »
Maybe you're right they don't need that reminder.  Who knows, maybe they actually do.  He's a reminder (obviously a painful one, but nonetheless) of what a team can accomplish when they play tightly together.  I can only hope his presence is and remains a massive wake-up call to the players.

Just one thing though is that when I'm talking about him being a symbol of embarrassment that's as much about the organization as it is the players.

Now, I think there are two ways to react to last night. Get angry or be rational. And, as a lot of people have said, rational is the better choice. It's just a game, sports aren't the end of the world, no use being mad about something you can't change and so on. And I think I've tended to preach that this year and I don't really get mad about things that happen with the Leafs.

Problem with that though is that every time I get a reminder like last night about how I should be more rational and less emotional...I get more rational. And when I'm rational about the Leafs, I remember that they kind of treat their fans badly. Charging us the highest ticket prices in the league for an often middling product and so on. As a result, personally, I don't go to games anymore and I don't spend money on merch.

Now, unrelated to last night, MLB.tv just changed their blackout policy which means that watching Baseball this year is going to be more expensive for me. Which already had me thinking about how much I spend on streaming sports services. Right now it's more than 60 bucks a month and two thirds of that is because the Leafs split their games between two lousy overpriced services. I could be kicking 40 bucks more a month towards retirement or donating it to a food bank or whatever.

So if I'm being real rational about last night....eh, I don't know I'm getting great value for that money either and so, players aside, I don't know if MLSE wants me to get too many more nudges towards putting sports in their proper perspective.
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 23, 2020, 12:40:02 PM »
Sure, move that girl to a nicer house.

Yes, well, thank you for coming to my "analogies are used to make limited, direct points" seminar.
-Karl Marx

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 23, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »
Sure, move that girl to a nicer house.

Yes, well, thank you for coming to my "analogies are used to make limited, direct points" seminar.

I give it an eight out of ten. The lunch didn't have a vegan option and the coffee was bitter. 

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 23, 2020, 12:59:39 PM »
I give it an eight out of ten. The lunch didn't have a vegan option and the coffee was bitter.

Both of those things were also analogies. For our lack of human agency and the terrible conditions for coffee farmers in latin america. 10 out of 10.
-Karl Marx

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #461 on: February 23, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
Well there goes trading Barrie.

Itís almost comical being a Leafs fan.

Took a while to build up to reading through this thread, but this post was oddly prescient  :D
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Manson

• Rookie
  • I make bad trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 25, 2020, 12:18:50 AM »

Just one thing though is that when I'm talking about him being a symbol of embarrassment that's as much about the organization as it is the players.

Now, I think there are two ways to react to last night. Get angry or be rational. And, as a lot of people have said, rational is the better choice. It's just a game, sports aren't the end of the world, no use being mad about something you can't change and so on. And I think I've tended to preach that this year and I don't really get mad about things that happen with the Leafs.

Problem with that though is that every time I get a reminder like last night about how I should be more rational and less emotional...I get more rational. And when I'm rational about the Leafs, I remember that they kind of treat their fans badly. Charging us the highest ticket prices in the league for an often middling product and so on. As a result, personally, I don't go to games anymore and I don't spend money on merch.

Now, unrelated to last night, MLB.tv just changed their blackout policy which means that watching Baseball this year is going to be more expensive for me. Which already had me thinking about how much I spend on streaming sports services. Right now it's more than 60 bucks a month and two thirds of that is because the Leafs split their games between two lousy overpriced services. I could be kicking 40 bucks more a month towards retirement or donating it to a food bank or whatever.

So if I'm being real rational about last night....eh, I don't know I'm getting great value for that money either and so, players aside, I don't know if MLSE wants me to get too many more nudges towards putting sports in their proper perspective.

This is what being a Leafs fan does to people.  This is what it does to their fans.  It makes them contemplate their life choice.  It makes them contemplate whether or not being a fan is worth it at all.

Offline Chris

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2020, 12:43:01 AM »
Ayres was just on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Leafs made the big time with their "performance" against Carolina. Congrats!

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #464 on: February 28, 2020, 09:22:25 AM »
I've waited a while to comment on this.

First up it was outright embarrassing from the Leafs point of view in terms of their performance and effort, not much debate to be had about that.

But actually I kind of enjoyed it. I think it's a great story and the guy deserves the attention. I also really respect the fact he's using his opportunity to support a charity (kidney foundation) that is obviously close to him personally. He comes across as a really good, humble guy.

I loved the story about his wife and her reaction and the reaction of the fans around her at the game (not just her tweet which was also great!).

While I wouldn't say I was supporting him AGAINST the Leafs, I was kind of hoping that he did well but maybe lost by a goal rather than letting in 10 shots on 12 shots or whatever.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.