Author Topic: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 54316 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
I haven't ever subscribed, but I can tell you that whenever I mistakenly click on one of their links, the 40-50% off pop up comes up...like, for years.

Yeah, I hate those sort of practices. Reminds me of how when a phone company is trying to sell you on something if you say no they'll always go "talk to their manager" (i.e. put you on hold and stare at their desk for 60 seconds) and come back with a lower price.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
https://theathletic.com/1248016/2019/09/27/marv-the-onion-revis-island-the-gangster-what-martin-marincins-nicknames-reveal-about-him/

Martin Marincin is going to be this year's Ron Hainsey. He's the team weird uncle with all the deadpan sardonic bon mots, playing all the PK time, and looks frustrating on the ice for both fans and opponents. The key difference is now it's 3rd pair expectations.

The Athletic seems to be continuing their hard hitting pieces on the Leafs.

Toronto getting the Matthews lottery pick is the only reason The Athletic made it off the ground as fast as it has.

It's like the propaganda "Molson Leafs Blueprint"...or like Henny's tough first questions at press conferences: "Mike, how great is it to have so many weapons available to you on your PP?"

That is false. Henny doesn’t ask questions, he just makes a statement and pauses for response.

PH: “Mike, you have so many weapons on the power play.”
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2019/10/01/mike-babcock-on-the-growth-of-the-team-over-last-year/

Should I just quote Babcock out of context this year every time he forgets that phrasing is a thing?
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »

Cap shenanigans. Something to do with his bonuses too.

Petan is up in response.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:06:19 PM by herman »
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 10:53:14 PM »

Your new favourite, everyone.
#BeBlessed

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 11:01:21 PM »

I wonder if he's Almo's secret son.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 11:14:59 PM »
Mik's media scrum will henceforth be known as Talk Soup with Ilya Mikheyev.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 07:06:56 AM »

That's awesome. Kid has some gumption to go it alone without the translator, I'd be way too scared to attempt that in a language I'm not comfortable with

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »
I like the lack of leadfooted defensemen in the lineup.  The possibility that if Sandin plays well enough that we could have Ceci/Rielly, Muzzin/Barrie, Dermott/Sandin excites me.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 08:45:22 AM »
I like the lack of leadfooted defensemen in the lineup.  The possibility that if Sandin plays well enough that we could have Ceci/Rielly, Muzzin/Barrie, Dermott/Sandin excites me.

They just really have to be cognizant and not let players in behind them like they did yesterday. Freddy bailed them out a few times.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 08:45:39 AM »

I know Babcock is trying to ease him into the NHL, but I think Sandin is ready for more than just 9 minutes in a game.  If Marincin can handle almost 14 minutes, Sandin can too.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »
I know Babcock is trying to ease him into the NHL, but I think Sandin is ready for more than just 9 minutes in a game.  If Marincin can handle almost 14 minutes, Sandin can too.

Well that difference was mostly all PK time, which Marincin actually led the Leafs in.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »

Well that difference was mostly all PK time, which Marincin actually led the Leafs in.

Fair enough, but I'm on the Sandman train, this kid can handle way more and it'll take load off the big boys like Rielly/Barrie/Muzzin

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »

Fair enough, but I'm on the Sandman train, this kid can handle way more and it'll take load off the big boys like Rielly/Barrie/Muzzin

I was surprised that he didn't play more in the second half of the game especially when the Leafs went up 5-2.   I get the first period was a bit of a mess between the 3 powerplays where the Leafs only use 2 defensemen so that killed 6 minutes of the game where you still had Muzzin and Ceci sitting on the bench too.   But I'm not going to fuss about minutes too much in the first few games of the year.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2019, 09:08:10 AM »

I was surprised that he didn't play more in the second half of the game especially when the Leafs went up 5-2.   I get the first period was a bit of a mess between the 3 powerplays where the Leafs only use 2 defensemen so that killed 6 minutes of the game where you still had Muzzin and Ceci sitting on the bench too.   But I'm not going to fuss about minutes too much in the first few games of the year.

They also have 3 games in 4 nights, so many Babcock actually has an icetime plan to keep all the D fresher.  We'll see how much the Sandman plays Friday/Saturday