Author Topic: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion  (Read 33867 times)

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion
« Reply #1110 on: January 26, 2020, 08:48:31 PM »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1110 on: January 26, 2020, 08:48:31 PM »

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 26, 2020, 09:25:26 PM »
Who?

And is that Nylander's #88 I see?  Hmmmmm

It's 58

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 27, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »
I thought he looked alright at camp, has some skill. Supposedly in the last Marlies report that I read last week, he was not rated that high.  However Keefe knows him better than I do.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 28, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »
Some trade ideas/possibilities (and why they don’t all make sense):

D Matt Dumba & fourth-round pick (2021) from Minnesota to the Leafs for Nylander.

Exec: “Toronto says no. Good rule of thumb for people making these proposals: If you’re throwing a 2021 fourth-round pick into the deal, it’s because you aren’t offering anywhere near enough, and you know it. That 2021 fourth isn’t going to change that.

G Alexandar Georgiev plus a third-round pick from the Rangers to the Leafs for Kapanen & a second-round pick.

Exec: “Toronto says no. I don’t know why people think the Rangers are going to get a massive windfall for Georgiev. He has mediocre numbers, a mediocre record, and having three goalies erodes any leverage they have.”

D Brett Pesce from Carolina to the Leafs for Nylander.

Exec: “I think Nylander is worth more than Brett Pesce. But the contract might even that one out a bit. Leafs need cap space. That gives them a good defenseman and saves them $3 million. Who would say no? The Leafs would say no, they would want a better defenseman even it cost them a little more money.”

D Adam Larson plus a third-round pick (2021) from the Oilers to the Leafs for Andreas Johnsson & Bracco.

Exec: “Either team could say no. It’s not an unreasonable ask. It would come down to what they think of Bracco.... it’s a pretty fair deal. Larsson for one of their wingers. I like Johnsson. I think he’d be a good fit for Edmonton. They might prefer to get Kapanen.”

https://theathletic.com/1560427/2020/01/28/who-says-no-nhl-executives-evaluate-your-trade-proposals/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:25:21 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 28, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »
Some trade ideas/possibilities (and why they don’t all make sense):

D Matt Dumba & fourth-round pick (2021) from Minnesota to the Leafs for Nylander.

Exec: “Toronto says no. Good rule of thumb for people making these proposals: If you’re throwing a 2021 fourth-round pick into the deal, it’s because you aren’t offering anywhere near enough, and you know it. That 2021 fourth isn’t going to change that.

G Alexandar Georgiev plus a third-round pick from the Rangers to the Leafs for Kapanen & a second-round pick.

Exec: “Toronto says no. I don’t know why people think the Rangers are going to get a massive windfall for Georgiev. He has mediocre numbers, a mediocre record, and having three goalies erodes any leverage they have.”

D Brett Pesce from Carolina to the Leafs for Nylander.

Exec: “I think Nylander is worth more than Brett Pesce. But the contract might even that one out a bit. Leafs need cap space. That gives them a good defenseman and saves them $3 million. Who would say no? The Leafs would say no, they would want a better defenseman even it cost them a little more money.”

D Adam Larson plus a third-round pick (2021) from the Oilers to the Leafs for Andreas Johnsson & Bracco.

Exec: “Either team could say no. It’s not an unreasonable ask. It would come down to what they think of Bracco.... it’s a pretty fair deal. Larsson for one of their wingers. I like Johnsson. I think he’d be a good fit for Edmonton. They might prefer to get Kapanen.”

https://theathletic.com/1560427/2020/01/28/who-says-no-nhl-executives-evaluate-your-trade-proposals/

I don't like any of these. MAYBE Larsson but why isn't it a 1-1 trade for Johnsson? The rest are basically insane. Nylander has become one of the best bargain deals in the league (obviously Pastrnak doesn't count).
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 28, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »

I don't like any of these. MAYBE Larsson but why isn't it a 1-1 trade for Johnsson? The rest are basically insane. Nylander has become one of the best bargain deals in the league (obviously Pastrnak doesn't count).

Yeah Nylander has come out of nowhere.  I'm really shocked that nobody saw this coming.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 28, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
My love for Nylander is at hermanesque proportions, but I don't think we need to exaggerate. Nylander's not a great bargain. He's on pace for a 70+ point season, which is great, but he's getting paid $7M/year. I'd expect that kind of production (or at least high 60s) for $7M.

His contract is what I always thought it was: a good deal for both team and player. It was the RIGHT contract.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 28, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »
The Georgiev deal is nuts. The Rangers get a top 6 forward AND upgrade their draft pick? Has no one been paying attention to goalie trades?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 28, 2020, 09:30:24 AM »
My love for Nylander is at hermanesque proportions, but I don't think we need to exaggerate. Nylander's not a great bargain. He's on pace for a 70+ point season, which is great, but he's getting paid $7M/year. I'd expect that kind of production (or at least high 60s) for $7M.

His contract is what I always thought it was: a good deal for both team and player. It was the RIGHT contract.

This is admittedly a very basic way of looking at it but Nylander has the 44th highest AAV among forwards this season. In scoring he's 27th among forwards in points and 12th in goals.

Saying he's one of the best bargains in the league is maybe pushing it, but I think he's definitely outperforming his contract this season.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:35 AM »
Kinda random, but as I was looking at Larsson's stats with Edmonton and Sam Gagner caught my eye and I wonder now if he can be next season's Jason Spezza (I'm assuming this is Jason's swan song).

Gagner leads the team in CF% (52.49) and xGF% (56.77) and is 5th in 5-on-5 points/60 (1.66).

On the flip side his actual GF% is bad (37.93), he still finds himself as a healthy scratch a lot as he's played just 24 of Edmonton's 39 games since being called up, and his actual scoring stats don't look great (2 goals, 9 points).

Still as a guy who can fill the veteran depth scoring role he seems like a really good fit. We know he's had a long-time friendship with Tavares. He's a local-ish guy (London). And he's had familiarity with the Leafs organization after spending 43 games with the Marlies last season. IIRC him and Keefe had a really good relationship there and Gagner's spoken glowingly about Keefe in the time since.

Just a little thing to keep an eye on when this summer rolls around.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 28, 2020, 10:15:08 AM »

This is admittedly a very basic way of looking at it but Nylander has the 44th highest AAV among forwards this season. In scoring he's 27th among forwards in points and 12th in goals.

Saying he's one of the best bargains in the league is maybe pushing it, but I think he's definitely outperforming his contract this season.

I'm also projecting forward. I think Nylander still has some runway for improvement, as well I don't think just using his counting stats are the most illustrative of his value. I probably overstated in terms of best bargains group in the league but I do think that he's great value at his contract and it would be insane to just ignore that element when trading him. I don't see any of the names suggested in trade as either getting a bargain player or a player with significant runway for improvement, so why are trading Nylander when we aren't getting someone of equal value at D?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 28, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
I'm also projecting forward. I think Nylander still has some runway for improvement, as well I don't think just using his counting stats are the most illustrative of his value. I probably overstated in terms of best bargains group in the league but I do think that he's great value at his contract and it would be insane to just ignore that element when trading him. I don't see any of the names suggested in trade as either getting a bargain player or a player with significant runway for improvement, so why are trading Nylander when we aren't getting someone of equal value at D?

For sure. Dubas isn't trading him for anything less than a similarity aged top-pairing defenceman and generally speaking those trades don't happen.

For all intents and purposes Nylander is virtually untouchable right now.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 28, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
I like how people are finally starting to calm the waters on Georgiev.  I feel the Rangers either don't move him now, or they get way less than they hoped for.

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 28, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »

This season, yes, but he also cost the Leafs $7M last year.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1124 on: January 28, 2020, 11:58:23 AM »