Author Topic: Tkachuk signs bridge deal [3 years, $7mil AAV]  (Read 604 times)

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tkachuk signs bridge deal [3 years, $7mil AAV]
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 08:28:49 PM »
Another RFA that wasn't overpaid by over $2 million per season. Good for Calgary.

See, I'm not sure how the math works here because I definitely value Marner above Tkachuk. And if Marner had, like Tkachuk, signed for 3 years then his 10.9 AAV probably goes down to, what, 8? 8.5? Even at, say, 9 million, I still take Marner over Tkachuk at 7.

Apparently Marner was asking for well over 8-8.5 on a bridge deal.

In any case, the issue isn't really whether we would take Marner over Tkachuk. The issue is whether Marner is significantly overpaid relative to comparable players, and whether that puts the Leafs at a relative disadvantage. Most people who know about these sorts of things seem to think the answer to the first question is yes.

The talk is Rantanen is asking for "something in the 9s" on a long term deal which is right where Marner's deal should have been. He's a close comparable.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 08:28:49 PM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 02:29:57 AM »
Last year, with significantly less good linemates, Marner outscored Rantanen at 5v5 23 goals to 15. Marner got roughly 66% of Rantanen's PP TOI while killing penalties. The end result of their seasons was Marner outdoing Rantanen in end of year all-star voting by the very close margin of 129 points to 14.

I don't think Dubas cares if people think he overpaid for Marner but if he did then Rantanen getting something in the 9's would be terrific for him.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:27:44 AM by Nik the Trik »
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 02:29:57 AM »