Author Topic: Zaitsev and Brown traded to Ottawa  (Read 4565 times)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Zaitsev and Brown traded to Ottawa
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »
For what it's worth, Evolving-Wild's wins and goals above replacement models both have Ceci ranked above Zaitsev (but neither of their numbers are anything to write home about).

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
Hainsey will be good with the young D.

I have my doubts about that. The on ice impact of mentorship is over stated.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
For what it's worth, Evolving-Wild's wins and goals above replacement models both have Ceci ranked above Zaitsev (but neither of their numbers are anything to write home about).
Was Ceci played too high up for the Sens? Maybe less minutes he may be more effective

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »
Was Ceci played too high up for the Sens? Maybe less minutes he may be more effective

Giving any bad player fewer minutes is going to be a positive. The problem is, the Leafs are short a lot of good defencemen. I sure hope Dubas has some sort of plan here, because starting the season with Reilly, Muzzin and a bunch of ahl'ers is not going to work out well.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »

Giving any bad player fewer minutes is going to be a positive. The problem is, the Leafs are short a lot of good defencemen. I sure hope Dubas has some sort of plan here, because starting the season with Reilly, Muzzin and a bunch of ahl'ers is not going to work out well.
On paper yes, but we dont know. Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen whoever could do well if they're here. We just dont know until it happens.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »
On paper yes, but we dont know. Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen whoever could do well if they're here. We just dont know until it happens.

Hopefully no one in the leaf brass shares the "well, we could win lotto max instead of planning for retirement" approach to sports management.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »

I think any rational human being would know that Dubas has a plan.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »

Hopefully no one in the leaf brass shares the "well, we could win lotto max instead of planning for retirement" approach to sports management.

I get the sentiment, but rather than lottery ticket total crapshoot less than 0.1% chance or whatever, these are players they've been developing and watching longer than any of us so they can project what they'll be. Not exactly a total shot in the dark.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »

So what sort of approach to upgrading the Leafs defense should management take given their limited cap space?
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
I say again, bring up all the young dudes and let Freddie bail them out (or not) as they learn. It's the only way.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »

Lol. No. Thatís not a good approach.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2019, 10:43:15 AM »

So what sort of approach to upgrading the Leafs defense should management take given their limited cap space?

Trade.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »
Trade.

Trade who? And for who? And what reason is there to believe that the Forward for Defense trade market has gotten a lot better?
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2019, 10:46:40 AM »

The season doesnt start tomorrow. I suspect Dubas has a plan but I still stand by what I said. We wont know if any of the AHLers will succeed until they're actually here. We'll see.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »
Sounds like there may have been a trade for Kadri in the works that fell thru. Iím sure the Leafs havenít stopped taking calls on their forwards to try and turn one of them into a top D-man.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »