Author Topic: Neil Peart Dead  (Read 203 times)

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Neil Peart Dead
« on: January 10, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »
Sad sad news in Canadian rock history. Neil peart passed away Tuesday after a 3 1/2 year battle with brain cancer. RIP to one of the greatest.. https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:41:19 PM by Guilt Trip »

TMLfans.ca

Neil Peart Dead
« on: January 10, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »

Online Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Peart Dead
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
OMG nooooo :(

I cannot believe it...another of my musical idols gone too soon
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:38:26 PM »
I never got super into Rush but there's really no denying the skills. Here's Peart drumming to the HNIC theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxlEqO_MA04
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
I first heard Rush when Fly By Night was getting some airplay (on Q107 I think...would have been in the fall of '75 or spring '76 when I was in my final year). It's hard to put my finger one what it was I found so captivating about it. I was into Yes and Floyd and Genesis at the time (bucking the early disco trend!) as well as some of the funk band like EWF, P-Funk, Sly, etc. The second I heard them, though, I was hooked. I'm pretty sure I own at least one copy of every album they ever released, often buying a CD remaster in addition to my original vinyl pressing. I saw them live somewhere around 50 times, including their R40 farewell tour at the ACC five years ago. I wondered at the time if there was more to their decision to stop touring than simply Niel's not feeling up to it any longer (he said due to tendinitis). So sad...I can't imagine how devastating this loss must be to Geddy and Alex (and of course his family).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:02:27 PM by Hobbes »
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »
 Wasn't a huge fan of all of their music but always thought highly of them for their talent. Peart was the best in my eyes. 2112 was killer for me and my friends when we first hear it.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 10:28:05 PM »
Rush fans are in shock. I'm not a super fan but I've appreciated many many Rush songs over the years. RIP

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »
The news was so sudden, I didn't know he was battling anything. He was a legend of his instrument, that's for sure.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline pmrules

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »
Definitely one of the greatest of all time.

I regret never seeing them live at a show.

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:09 AM »
Rush are one of those bands where you know Rush exist.

You know loads of Rush songs.

But you dont always realise that the songs you know are by Rush. Then when you work it out its so obvious you kick yourself.

I really enjoyed reading this about his way of constructing his drum solo on the R40 tour

https://www.loudersound.com/features/neil-peart-marching-to-the-beat-of-a-different-drum
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
I first saw Rush in the mid 70's at a concert at University of Guelph. Max Webster opened and at the time they were projected to be the next coming thing. How wrong.
A good friend of mine who was brought up in St.Catherines, that I met in AZ used to be a drummer with some big band at the time in Canada and then Geddy tried to recruit him for Rush when they were starting up.  He liked his gig and didn't want to move bands.
He knew Neil and put them together and the rest is history. We were just talking about this the other day and then Neil died. 
I loved their performance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a few years back. The did rock the house. And Neil put on a great performance. 
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »