Author Topic: NBA Off-Season Discussion  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Kawhi Leonard to sign with LA Clippers
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2019, 02:35:37 AM »

Well, shoot.

Kawhi to the Clippers, who also get Paul George via trade.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Off-Season Discussion
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2019, 02:38:18 AM »
...and Danny Green reportedly to the Lakers:

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2019, 02:49:56 AM »
‘Bye, bye Kawhi...

Leonard was determined to get a second star with him to the Clippers, and Jerry West managed to do so by trading for Paul George late Friday evening PST. To land George, Los Angeles gave the Oklahoma City Thunder four future unprotected first-round picks, two pick swaps, Danilo Gallinari, and Shai Gilgeous Alexander.

https://clutchpoints.com/clippers-news-kawhi-leonard-agrees-to-sign-with-los-angeles/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:53:10 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2019, 05:37:57 AM »
From all of us...

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2019, 08:08:40 AM »
Sad day, but thanks for all the fish!

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Good thing I'm not a basketball fan or I'd be devastated today. Still, would have been great for Toronto if he stayed, made such an impact and even non basketball guys like me were into it. NBA is such a cutthroat league.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »
This “super team” approach to basketball sucks. I am glad the Raptors won without using this approach. The Raptors could not of possibly done more to keep him. It feels like the Raptors hot girlfriend just dumped them for some douchebag with a nice car.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »

While it would have been great to get Kawhi back, realistically all this does is fast track a rebuild that was coming anyway. 

For now though Lowry, Van Vleet, Siakam, Anunoby, Ibaka and Gasol are still the core of a team that should make the playoffs next year and will have a ton of cap space next off-season.

And, you know, they won a championship. I'm not devastated. Everything after a title is gravy.
-Karl Marx

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2019, 09:34:15 AM »

Interestingly it's now looking less like Kawhi choosing the Clippers over the Raptors and more like the Raptors being unwilling to match the Thunder's price for Paul George that determined things.

I'm less happy about that but I suppose it's the same thing in the end.
-Karl Marx

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »

Interestingly it's now looking less like Kawhi choosing the Clippers over the Raptors and more like the Raptors being unwilling to match the Thunder's price for Paul George that determined things.

What are you seeing? Or where? I’d be surprised Paul agreeing to come to the Raps or the Raptors even coming up with a compensation package that was remotely as good as the Clips gave OKC. I don’t know how they would have fit Paul under the caps as well.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:30 AM »

Looks like we just didn't have what OKC would have wanted to make the deal:

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »

This seems impossible... It seems like a binary choice:  Get Kawhi and compete for another title or don't.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

What are you seeing? Or where? I’d be surprised Paul agreeing to come to the Raps or the Raptors even coming up with a compensation package that was remotely as good as the Clips gave OKC. I don’t know how they would have fit Paul under the caps as well.

There's a Woj article on ESPN that was talking about it but it's been edited since it's publication. Originally it said Ujiri "balked" at the Thunder's price. Now it's saying Toronto didn't have the willingness to throw in as many picks as the Clippers and they weren't sure Leonard would return anyway.
-Karl Marx

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
Ultimately it was a 1-year gamble that paid off in the biggest way but I have to say I’m pretty broken down.   It’s yet another in an increasingly long line of “no one wants to play in Toronto” players.  I don’t fault Kawhi for waving as he always wanted to play in LA but you had to figure that if any scenario was going to sway a player the organization bending over backwards for him and winning s championship was going to be the time. 

Great we have cap space next year for an awful free agent crop where arguably our most high profile UFA signing is Hedo Turkoglu.  Hard to be optimistic about this team contending again in the next few years.

Hopefully Siakam can continue to grow and OG can develop into something decent.   
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:09:58 AM by L K »

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
Go leafs ...