Author Topic: Marleau being shopped around  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Marleau being shopped around
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 09:14:00 AM »
Back when Marleau signed this deal, everyone said I wish it had been for 2 years instead of 3 with exactly this in mind. The catch was, he was only interested with the guaranteed 3rd year because he too could see this exact scenario playing out.

I think it's unlikely that when he made the third year a major point of negotiation that his thought process was "If my career starts reaching its natural conclusion, I want to be a Maple Leaf no matter what" rather than "I want to guarantee myself the most money possible".

The Leafs arent going to ruthlessly oust him because hes well loved by the players(and if we want credibility negotiating with the likes of Marner, trying to weasel out of obligations to his friends isnt a great way to get it). Hes not going to volunteer for re-assignment, because this is exactly why he wanted year 3 - Marleau is more likely to accept a 4th line role in a contending Leafs than a retirement home.

I'm not sure what credibility you think the Leafs need with Marner but I don't think there's anything ruthless or weaselly about asking Marleau what his preference is for next year if both he and the team are realistic about his place on the depth chart.

Marleau wanted the money a third year would guarantee him and via the NMC he wanted control over where he plays. There's really nothing to suggest that the one thing he wanted was to play for a contender considering he signed with a team coming off a year where they finished dead last in the league.

But even if that weren't true and his only goal was to be a Leaf, things can change in a couple years time. His family may not like the winters here, he may miss stuff out west...who knows? I didn't say he's definitely going to be traded, just that I think he's going to be realistic about what his role will be going forward and people have a natural inclination to not want to stay where they're not particularly wanted and I think the rumblings about the Leafs exploring a deal(which I don't think we'd hear if Marleau was deadset against a trade) speaks to that.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 09:14:00 AM »

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
I have to disagree, busta: Marleau knows he's not wanted in Toronto anymore.  Nik's right here, I think.  Marleau's not naive.

Hes not wanted by the fans. Im not convinced hes not wanted by management. His contract isnt, but the player and the person? Id think theyd be happy to have him around.

If he's not not wanted (yikes) by management then they should say so directly.  Or, alternatively, riffing off of Bob Mueller the other day, say something like "If we had confidence that the decline in Patty's game clearly does not warrant his vetoing a trade we would have said so."

That's pretty stupid public management.  Marleau left an organization that would have been happy to have him back to come to Toronto.  They weren't forced to give him a 3rd year.  They weren't forced to sign him to a 6 million dollar contract.  They did it willingly and not being happy with the decline in his play when we all knew that this was the most likely outcome is on management.  Publicly shaming him to try and get him to waive his NTC isn't going to happen.

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »
I have to disagree, busta: Marleau knows he's not wanted in Toronto anymore.  Nik's right here, I think.  Marleau's not naive.

Hes not wanted by the fans. Im not convinced hes not wanted by management. His contract isnt, but the player and the person? Id think theyd be happy to have him around.

If he's not not wanted (yikes) by management then they should say so directly.  Or, alternatively, riffing off of Bob Mueller the other day, say something like "If we had confidence that the decline in Patty's game clearly does not warrant his vetoing a trade we would have said so."

That's pretty stupid public management.  Marleau left an organization that would have been happy to have him back to come to Toronto.  They weren't forced to give him a 3rd year.  They weren't forced to sign him to a 6 million dollar contract.  They did it willingly and not being happy with the decline in his play when we all knew that this was the most likely outcome is on management.  Publicly shaming him to try and get him to waive his NTC isn't going to happen.

The team doesn't have to, the media and online fans are doing it just fine.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2019, 03:25:07 PM »

Maybe they have. We have no idea what conversations were had in private. Theres no need for it to be public.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2019, 03:43:26 PM »
It's Dubas' job to have that conversation, given the implications.

I sure as hell hope he's spoken with Marleau about it.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »
It's Dubas' job to have that conversation, given the implications.

I sure as hell hope he's spoken with Marleau about it.

I'm confident he has.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2019, 10:14:33 PM »
Kypreos just said that Marleau's family is moving back to San Jose, and he wants to move somewhere close to that. Mentioned Arizona, Colorado, and LA as potential landing spots. Said the Leafs might have to retain $1mil or so.

Like Zaitsev, this somewhat surprisingly seems now like it's a mutual desire to part ways.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »
Kypreos just said that Marleau's family is moving back to San Jose, and he wants to move somewhere close to that. Mentioned Arizona, Colorado, and LA as potential landing spots. Said the Leafs might have to retain $1mil or so.

Like Zaitsev, this somewhat surprisingly seems now like it's a mutual desire to part ways.
He just isn't a fit. I think he knows that he just can't hack it anymore with better options on the wings already there.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Rob

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2019, 10:56:18 PM »
Everything's coming up Dubas!

Online lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2019, 11:12:58 PM »

He just isn't a fit. I think he knows that he just can't hack it anymore with better options on the wings already there.

I wonder how much attention he pays to his consecutive games streak because if I were him, I'd be thinking I'm not playing 82 games if I stay in Toronto
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2019, 11:13:41 PM »

What sorcery is this

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 12:07:49 AM »
Kypreos sounded pretty sure of himself, but of course pundits are paid to sound like that.

What's fishy to me about what he said is the landing spots.  None of them make sense.  LA is an archrival of SJ ... does that make sense?  AZ never makes sense on any level.  Functionally speaking, Colorado is not really much closer to SJ than Toronto, in terms of popping in to see the fam. 

If the goal is to win a Cup, none of these places has a better chance to win than San Jose.  If we retain some salary and ask for essentially nothing in return, I think if he does waive to go back West the best chance is that he goes back there for one last fling with Thornton & Co.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 01:10:03 AM »
Marleau listed LA as a landing spot that hed welcome a trade to so it isn't a surprise to see them listed. If the Leafs could trade Marleau and retain 1 mill only, thats would be a huge win.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2019, 05:02:37 AM »
Kypreos sounded pretty sure of himself, but of course pundits are paid to sound like that.

What's fishy to me about what he said is the landing spots.  None of them make sense.  LA is an archrival of SJ ... does that make sense?  AZ never makes sense on any level.  Functionally speaking, Colorado is not really much closer to SJ than Toronto, in terms of popping in to see the fam. 

Kypreos: Marleau's family is moving back to SJ and Marleau would like to play somewhere close to there.

ZZBM: How can we crack this code of potential West coast landing spots?

And I'm not sure what function you're speaking of but there doesn't seem to be any direct flights from Toronto to San Jose and the shortest trip is roughly seven and a half hours with a transfer. Denver does have non-stop service to San Jose in two and a half hours.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 06:30:58 AM »
This is certainly a positive development but how are they going to make a trade work?  What are the other teams going to give us for our $6.5 mill 4th liner? Ideas?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 06:30:58 AM »