Author Topic: Marleau being shopped around  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Marleau being shopped around
« on: May 31, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »
?s=21

Oh baby!!

It's funny how all Leafs trade rumours are centered around bad Lamiorello contracts. I get that Zaitsev asked for a trade but still, the 2 deals we absolutely hate are Marleau and Zaitsev and now both are trade rumors.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:44:30 PM by Zee »

TMLfans.ca

Marleau being shopped around
« on: May 31, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Marleau being shopped around
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 12:47:20 PM »
STOP TEASING US

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »
I know I like to laugh at bad UFA signings every July, but for the most part, the GMs of the league participate in so much mutual backscratching that teams aren't really suffering for longer than 1-2 years. It's not worth the effort to fret.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
STOP TEASING US

I had to share the good news. Yesterday Zaitsev today Marleau, what's next a Marner deal tomorrow?

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:59:09 PM »
Looking at their cap, it looks like the kings can afford to take on Marleau without moving anything.

They have 11M with a 19 man roster and no significant RFAs to sign.

At the very least, this tells us that the team is exploring ways to move Marleau. I wonder if that means they have had some conversations with him about waiving his NMC.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:01:13 PM by Deebo »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 01:02:28 PM »
I doubt he waives... but getting rid of Zaitsev and Marleau in the same offseason would be like David Clarkson Day all over again.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »
I doubt he waives... but getting rid of Zaitsev and Marleau in the same offseason would be like David Clarkson Day all over again.

It wouldn't shock me. There's been a fair amount of speculation that he'd be open to a trade that sends him back to the west coast. LA likely being terrible next season does complicate things, but, I can see it happening.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22:49 PM »
It wouldn't shock me. There's been a fair amount of speculation that he'd be open to a trade that sends him back to the west coast. LA likely being terrible next season does complicate things, but, I can see it happening.

I think it does a little more than just complicate things. We're talking about a guy who's had a Hall-of-very-good career and almost certainly has just one more shot at winning the Cup before he has to retire. A trade back to San Jose I could understand, but a bottom-feeder like LA just seems way too unlikely. But I guess we'll see.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »
Mirtle on Zaitsev/Marleau

Yes, there's a link to paywall site.

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 01:27:35 PM »

I think it does a little more than just complicate things. We're talking about a guy who's had a Hall-of-very-good career and almost certainly has just one more shot at winning the Cup before he has to retire. A trade back to San Jose I could understand, but a bottom-feeder like LA just seems way too unlikely. But I guess we'll see.

Will be very interesting to see what comes of this. Maybe Marleau realizes that his contract is going to have a significant negative impact on the Leafs chances to win a cup in his final year. Spending those 6 mil on the defense would greatly increase their chances. But LA...at least he'll play everyday and won't be stuck on the 4th line. Maybe he then gets moved at the deadline to a contender.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
Maybe he then gets moved at the deadline to a contender.
Maybe back to the Leafs lol. We all know LA was a bottom feeder this season but are they really that bad of a team? Quick was injured for quite a bit if I recall. Not sure if they'll contend for a playoff spot or not but we know things can turn around quickly in this league. It's an interesting scenario though. I would think the Leafs would have to retain some of his salary.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
Maybe back to the Leafs lol. We all know LA was a bottom feeder this season but are they really that bad of a team? Quick was injured for quite a bit if I recall. Not sure if they'll contend for a playoff spot or not but we know things can turn around quickly in this league. It's an interesting scenario though. I would think the Leafs would have to retain some of his salary.

Quick actually put up worse numbers than their backups last season. Injury might have played into that, but, sometimes, goalies fall off quickly once they get into their 30s. But, outside of that, they don't have a ton of offensive depth, and the quality of their blueline drops off quite dramatically after Doughty and Martinez. so, yes, without some significant changes, they'll be bad next season.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 02:06:50 PM »

Yeah it sounded like a pipe dream to me as well.  Like of all teams why would Marleau choose to go to an aging LA team that has no realistic shot at winning anything?  If it were San Jose or Vegas I could see it, but LA?

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »

Quick actually put up worse numbers than their backups last season. Injury might have played into that, but, sometimes, goalies fall off quickly once they get into their 30s. But, outside of that, they don't have a ton of offensive depth, and the quality of their blueline drops off quite dramatically after Doughty and Martinez. so, yes, without some significant changes, they'll be bad next season.
Thx. I was just looking over their roster and it isn't pretty.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »