Author Topic: Ranking Prospects 2019-2020  (Read 12809 times)

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects 2019-2020
« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2020, 02:16:39 PM »
He actually doesn't because by all accounts he doesn't think the game very well. The old million dollar body/ 10 cent brain scenario doesn't bode well.

Which is exactly why he might need the right coach/etc. That side of things can be improved through coaching, training, skills development, and so on. If he has the physical tools - which he appears to - the rest can be worked on.

Also, you know, AHL contract. Pretty low risk.

Pretty good write up here.
https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-new-york-rangers-have-cut-ties-with-sean-day

I tend to agree with not giving exceptional status to players. Especially ones that are not a consensus exceptional player.

I've never understood the concept of pushing a player to play above their heads. Let them enjoy being the big fish. Let them experience being the leader and gaining that skill that they may be lacking. When you're really good, the game slows down for you. Why force them to play at a skill level that's too fast for them to process. Let them enjoy playing a game that seems to be moving slower.

Is it really that fair of a statement on the program when we are talking about seven players granted exceptional status.  Three of them are really good NHL players.  One is still a well regarded prospect

John Tavares - a 1st overall pick
Aaron Ekblad - a 1st overall pick
Connor McDavid - a 1st overall pick
Joe Veleno - a 1st round pick and played in the AHL as a 19 year old
Shane Wright - >PPG in his rookie OHL season
Connor Bedard - granted exceptional status this year
Sean Day

I think there is a better argument for maybe not granting exceptional status for defensemen.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects 2019-2020
« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
Is it really that fair of a statement on the program when we are talking about seven players granted exceptional status.  Three of them are really good NHL players.  One is still a well regarded prospect

I wanted to go back and see what the reaction to Day earning the status was and even in the first article I looked at it says there were people who seemed skeptical that he deserved it:

But just how exceptional is Day? There was some speculation he might not receive exceptional status because there is a chance that neither the Ottawa 67’s nor the Erie Otters, who own the first two picks in the OHL draft April 6, intend to choose Day. And one scout who has seen the other three exceptional players in their junior draft years said Day is not at their level.

“From what I saw, he was nowhere near a player who dominated at his level of competition,” the scout said. “Not even close.”

The article also suggests that politics may have played a part here as it's speculated he would have gone the NCAA route had he not been granted it.

I also just did a quick check and it looks like Day was the only "exceptional" player to play his U15 hockey outside of Canada. Maybe that played a role here too. If the CHL doesn't have a complete knowledge of all the training/development systems a player goes through in Michigan as they would in Toronto then they probably shouldn't be looking at players from there for something like this.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:47:07 PM by CarltonTheBear »