Poll

Who will captain the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2019?

Auston Matthews
20 (62.5%)
John Tavares
3 (9.4%)
Morgan Rielly
5 (15.6%)
Mitch Marner
0 (0%)
No one
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Discussion  (Read 27030 times)

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Discussion
« Reply #960 on: August 23, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »
This is in large part thanks to the talent assembled at the top of the roster, but really the system Babcock implemented is how and why the Leafs generate so many opportunities in the high danger zone.

Well, that and the fact that Matthews and Tavares have done that their whole careers.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #960 on: August 23, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: August 23, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »
This is in large part thanks to the talent assembled at the top of the roster, but really the system Babcock implemented is how and why the Leafs generate so many opportunities in the high danger zone.

Well, that and the fact that Matthews and Tavares have done that their whole careers.

Matthews has only played under Babcock in the NHL; Tavares has never scored more than 38 goals in one season before, and scored 37 at evens his first season here.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: August 23, 2019, 12:29:35 PM »

Matthews has only played under Babcock in the NHL; Tavares has never scored more than 38 goals in one season before, and scored 37 at evens his first season here.

But but but, it's something good that has happened. So obviously it has nothing to do with the coach. Coaches can only be blamed for the bad. They absolutely cannot be part of the reason that something good has happened on the ice. That's all the players.

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: August 23, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »
I don't know if that sarcasm is directed at me OTH, but that's certainly not what I said. In fact, I used the word "AND", in case people missed it. My only suggestion is that players such as Tavares and Matthews have always been good at creating opportunities in high danger areas.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: August 23, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
I agree that both Matthews and Tavares have always been good at generating quality chances. Tavares especially makes something out of nothing routinely, but he got way more space and opportunity to exercise those gifts here and it had a lot to do with how the Leafs play in the OZ (not just Marner). Funnelling looks into the middle is a hallmark of the system the coach has employed here.

I watched a lot of Matthews highlights leading up to his draft. If I recall correctly, he had a good hard shot on a pretty standard wrist shot wind up that usually clicked from the top of the circles (Nylander shoots here). That might be a function of the larger ice dimensions. Either way, since Babcock came here, the Leafs consistently generate their looks in the home plate area, limited point shots unless they are 6-8 ft further in from the line.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: August 23, 2019, 12:59:05 PM »
Wait... the only other common denominator is... Zachary Hyman on the left flank. Holy forkin’ shirtballs.

Come to think of it, when did the Leafs start to falter in the playoffs last season...? Zach Hyman’s knee injury.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:01:54 PM by herman »

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: August 23, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »
I don't know if that sarcasm is directed at me OTH, but that's certainly not what I said. In fact, I used the word "AND", in case people missed it. My only suggestion is that players such as Tavares and Matthews have always been good at creating opportunities in high danger areas.

I think I jumped the gun a little, but it's a sensitive subject for me having been a coach for the past 20+ years. Though not at the NHL level, parents treat their kids the same way fans treat their favourite hockey players.
When something great happens, the player is congratulated. When something crappy happens, the coach is blamed.

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: August 23, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
I hear you there. I think in general, we have to consider all the little influences that go into a particular player's success. Some of it is their skill, some of it is the coaching, some of it the players they play with, and some of it is simply luck.

For Tavares's jump in scoring, I think it's misleading to suggest Babcock's system is the sole (not claimed by anyone), or even main driver. That said, Tavares's and Matthews's particular gifts are well-suited to Babcock's system. If anyone is able to capitalize on a system that funnel's pucks to the middle, it's those two.

Offline WAYNEINIONA

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: August 23, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »

There should be a second poll. Who should be the Leafs captain.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: August 24, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
Sergeant Hulka's Big Toe
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: August 29, 2019, 05:34:46 PM »
Auston's first NHL game: Matthews and Nylander.
Three years later, expecting big things from these two.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:52 PM »

During each of the past two seasons, the Leafs' offence has significantly declined as the year goes on. This past season, the Leafs played better on the road than at home.

That seems to suggest that when Babcock's "system" is fully implemented, the team plays worse than when the team just goes out there and does its own thing.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: August 29, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
That’s not a factually accurate assertion.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: August 30, 2019, 01:59:23 AM »
That's just your opinion, man.

Edit: I am not a huge Babcock fan.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: August 30, 2019, 06:03:05 AM »
That seems to suggest that when Babcock's "system" is fully implemented, the team plays worse than when the team just goes out there and does its own thing.

I have no idea what you are saying here? Are you saying the system is fully implemented at home? On the road? Early in the season? Late in the season?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #974 on: August 30, 2019, 06:03:05 AM »