Poll

Who will captain the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2019?

William Nylander
20 (60.6%)
John Tavares
3 (9.1%)
Morgan Rielly
6 (18.2%)
Mitch Marner
0 (0%)
No one
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Discussion  (Read 28380 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason Discussion
« Reply #915 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #915 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #916 on: August 05, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »

Tampa's also just a flat out better team than the Leafs.

Maybe not if Tampa loses Point to a massive offer sheet!

From the Leafs oooooh
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 06, 2019, 12:12:36 AM »
Tampa Bay was by far the best Ďregular seasoní team last year. Beyond that , they didnít win the cup. They didn't win a series . They didnít even win a single game when it really counted.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 06, 2019, 12:56:26 AM »
Tampa Bay was by far the best Ďregular seasoní team last year. Beyond that , they didnít win the cup. They didn't win a series . They didnít even win a single game when it really counted.

I don't think there's much point to defining "best team" beyond the quality of the players on that team but we have lots of evidence that the guys on Tampa Bay can perform well and win games and series' in the playoffs, certainly much more than we have for the Leafs, so I think we can fairly dismiss what happened to them vs. Columbus as the sort of random thing that can happen in a parity heavy league to anyone.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 07, 2019, 05:40:46 PM »
Spicy!

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 07, 2019, 06:54:07 PM »
Sounds pretty whiney... And 8-bit if you ask me...

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 07, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »
Yeah, the KHL is much more manly. Loaded handguns in the locker room, planes that may or may not take off or land, and if you have a heart attack on the bench, they dump your body on the pavement in front of the arena so that people can take pictures before attempting any sort of resuscitation.

But no one sucks up to the coach. Probably because he's working at the borscht concessions up until the puck drop.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:03:26 PM by Frycer14 »

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 08, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
Yeah, the KHL is much more manly. Loaded handguns in the locker room, planes that may or may not take off or land, and if you have a heart attack on the bench, they dump your body on the pavement in front of the arena so that people can take pictures before attempting any sort of resuscitation.

But no one sucks up to the coach. Probably because he's working at the borscht concessions up until the puck drop.

For real. Enjoy your gulag, comrade.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 08, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
Spicy!

This post frustrates me deeply because I was so close to forgetting that Oz existed.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 08, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
This is an unforgettable sign off.

I also think he means kissing rather than licking, but I am not well versed in Russian idioms.

What a godsend to the fanfic community though.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 08, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »

I give this post a Gold Star.

Uh, I mean, Red Star.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 08, 2019, 10:09:58 AM »
https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2019/8/8/20791361/much-ado-about-igor-ozhiganov-mike-babcock-what-did-he-really-say-about-licking-maple-leafs

Now to the ass-licking and/or kissing or whatever the Russian term for brownnose is. Itís not even remotely a surprise that the interviewer starts the ball rolling on this topic:

Coach [Konstantin Kurashev], who worked a lot in Switzerland, said that in Russia a player who communicates with a coach is considered either a licking or a snitch. How is it in Canada?

- This is a huge difference. When you arrive there, you go into the locker room - and it seems to you that they are not just licking an ass, but it is not known what they do with it at all. They just wait for the coach to appear, to laugh, to say something to him. On the plane, as soon as they see that a coach has appeared in the aisle, they run to him. We, Russians, look at this and understand that we would simply not communicate with such a person in a team.

And thatís it. Heís just confirming a cultural difference Zaitsev has discussed in the past. He had to explain to the press in Canada why he never smiled.

This is a good article outlining the difficulties there can be in adjusting to a new team, let alone a completely different culture and language. Maybe I should've couched it better when sharing that tweet, but I think most people here understand implicitly that the Twitter format loses a good deal of nuance in the character limit.

I am wondering how the Leafs are going to handle Mikheyev's adjustment without Zaitsev or Komarov around. I like how they brought in additional Russian speakers to dev camp to bolster Semyon Der-Arguchintsev's efforts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:20:08 AM by herman »

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 08, 2019, 10:27:05 AM »
I am wondering how the Leafs are going to handle Mikheyev's adjustment without Zaitsev or Komarov around. I like how they brought in additional Russian speakers to dev camp to bolster Semyon Der-Arguchintsev's efforts.

Dubas says he speaks pretty good English so at least a translator won't be necessary.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 08, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »

Dubas says he speaks pretty good English so at least a translator won't be necessary.

Oh thanks! I just found that Koshan piece.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 08, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »

I give this post a Gold Star.

Uh, I mean, Red Star.
Babcock must have one clean butt :o
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #929 on: August 08, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »