Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 36993 times)

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #1245 on: July 22, 2019, 03:23:20 PM »
I mean, the NHL isn't the only hockey league in the world is it?  I misspoke when I said the players were afraid of never being able to work again, many did go over to Europe and were paid to play.

Yup. Living in countries where they don't speak the language and with very real safety concerns, being forced to decide between being away from their families or emigrating...real sense of perspective you've got yourself going with there.

So you're saying it was mutually beneficial for the league and players to agree?  Had the NHLPA not gone along with the salary cap who knows what could have happened, maybe the NHL ceased to exist and all future players are in Sweden, Finland, wherever.  Maybe European hockey becomes more popular and they increase teams over there, who the heck knows.  Would be funny if Marner was in a contract stalemate with Frolunda HC right now instead of the Leafs, but I digress.   All I know is, both sides agreed to the current system, many rich players still continue to make a living and life goes on.  We'll get passed this too.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1245 on: July 22, 2019, 03:23:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 22, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »
I really have never understood the "that's more money than I make so therefore he should be grateful and just accept less" argument. 

He's not working in your industry. He's not competing for a job against a Starbucks barista or most lawyers or doctors etc. 

If you went to your job tomorrow and everyone else was making 5 million and you were making 1, you would be pissed off.
If I went to my job tomorrow and found out I was now making a million dollars a year, I wouldn't ask any questions. But that's not what we're talking about here. It's not like Matthews is making 11.5 and Marner will be getting 2.3 (the equivalent of your above ratio). By any measure, Marner is going to be paid near the top of his profession regardless of what offer he signs.

My point was simply that I'm not going to get worked up about a player getting "cheated" out of his perceived worth when (1) that player has already at age 22 made more money than most will make in their life (for playing a game), and (2) that player is going to be paid near the top of his profession on his next contract.

We really don't know anything about the nature of the negotiations so I'll reserve judgement until a contract is signed.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 22, 2019, 03:29:40 PM »
So you're saying it was mutually beneficial for the league and players to agree?

No. I'm saying that for the league not to re-open, and again it was Owners who made the decision to shut down the league during negotiations in order to exert pressure on players, meant real and serious consequences for human beings, their lives and their families lives in a way that "Gary Bettman might be upset with us despite the fact that technically he's our employee" wouldn't and that it's ridiculous, and a sign of just how much perspective you've lost, that you would try to equate those two things.

Despite the fact that you keep wanting to present it as such, nobody has presented what the Leafs may have offered Mitch Marner as an insult or anything of the sort. All that's been said is that Marner, as per the terms of the CBA, is under no obligation to sign a deal or accept the notion that he isn't entitled to a fair slice of the revenue he generates for his team and that may be informing his decision to OMG remain unsigned in the 4th week of July.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 22, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
So you're saying it was mutually beneficial for the league and players to agree?

No. I'm saying that for the league not to re-open, and again it was Owners who made the decision to shut down the league during negotiations in order to exert pressure on players, meant real and serious consequences for human beings, their lives and their families lives in a way that "Gary Bettman might be upset with us despite the fact that technically he's our employee" wouldn't and that it's ridiculous, and a sign of just how much perspective you've lost, that you would try to equate those two things.

Despite the fact that you keep wanting to present it as such, nobody has presented what the Leafs may have offered Mitch Marner as an insult or anything of the sort. All that's been said is that Marner, as per the terms of the CBA, is under no obligation to sign a deal or accept the notion that he isn't entitled to a fair slice of the revenue he generates for his team and that may be informing his decision to OMG remain unsigned in the 4th week of July.

I understand all that, and I've been on record saying that I think what the Leafs can and would be willing to pay Marner would be what I believe to be a fair slice of the pie in relation to his peers.  He will most likely be the 3rd highest paid player on the team behind Matthews and Tavares.   Where that fits into his revenue generation I have no idea, but I do know that Matthews jersey far outsells Marner as Auston had either the #1 or #2 selling jersey league wide the last 2 seasons.  I agree that Marner has every right to try and get as much money as he can, but I also realize that money is limited and by all accounts the Leafs are willing to pay him quite a nice amount of money.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 22, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »
I understand all that, and I've been on record saying that I think what the Leafs can and would be willing to pay Marner would be what I believe to be a fair slice of the pie in relation to his peers.

Which is where we get back to "fair" not being a meaningful designation in a system that is inherently unfair and, more importantly, us not knowing what Marner is angling for right now. It may have nothing to do with his yearly salary.
-Karl Marx

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 22, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »

I understand all that, and I've been on record saying that I think what the Leafs can and would be willing to pay Marner would be what I believe to be a fair slice of the pie in relation to his peers.  He will most likely be the 3rd highest paid player on the team behind Matthews and Tavares.   Where that fits into his revenue generation I have no idea, but I do know that Matthews jersey far outsells Marner as Auston had either the #1 or #2 selling jersey league wide the last 2 seasons.  I agree that Marner has every right to try and get as much money as he can, but I also realize that money is limited and by all accounts the Leafs are willing to pay him quite a nice amount of money.
Yeah, so sign the f'n contract and stop being a selfish, spoiled little pr#$k lol. ;) :P ;D

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 22, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »

Yeah, so sign the f'n contract and stop being a selfish, spoiled little pr#$k lol. ;) :P ;D
I second this motion, now lets stop this thread before my eyes burn out of my heed.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 22, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »

I second this motion, now lets stop this thread before my eyes burn out of my heed.
Second your motion. This thread has gotten way bigger then it needs to be.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 22, 2019, 04:56:04 PM »

Kind of like Paul Marner's ego heeyyyooooooo

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 22, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »

Kind of like Paul Marner's ego heeyyyooooooo
Hahaha Touche!

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 22, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
I think that we can all agree that there's at least one sports writer or editor who's pulling for a 7-year deal so that they can title a piece "The Seven Year Mitch".
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 22, 2019, 11:16:56 PM »
For general interest, here's a list of more presumably selfish, spoiled brats with bad fathers:

Provorov, Bennett, Carlo, Werenski, Laine, Connor, McAvoy, Boeser, Tkachuk, Rantanen, Point, etc, etc.

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 22, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »
For me, the annoying part is the trend of kids demanding an ever-increasing portion of the cap before free agency. This wasn't really a thing even a few years ago.

Mitch is well within his rights to demand whatever he wants but I wouldn't be surprised if GMs start to push back a little more forcefully, even if that means a good player or two have to sit out a year. The numbers simply don't add up in a salary cap system, especially when kids not only want to get paid like superstar free agents but also want short-term deals.

I hope Dubas has a reasonable final offer on the table (with term) well in advance of the season and then doesn't budge.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 23, 2019, 12:06:33 AM »
For me, the annoying part is the trend of kids demanding an ever-increasing portion of the cap before free agency. This wasn't really a thing even a few years ago.

I'm not so sure that's true. I think a lot of these deals are actually pretty in-line historically with what we've seen from top tier younger players on their second deals.

The Matthews deal, for instance, is a five year deal worth 14.63% of the cap. Evgeni Malkin got a five year deal for his second contract worth 15.34% of the cap. Dion Phaneuf got a six year deal as his second contract worth the modern equivalent of 10.5 million AAV a year. If Marner wants a five year deal worth 11 million per year, it still wouldn't be as high a % of the cap that Rick Nash got on his five year second contract. McDavid's second deal was less % wise than Crosby's and McDavid signed away three UFA years.

I could go on. I'm not sure I see a big shift.
-Karl Marx

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:13 AM »

I'm not so sure that's true. I think a lot of these deals are actually pretty in-line historically with what we've seen from top tier younger players on their second deals.

The Matthews deal, for instance, is a five year deal worth 14.63% of the cap. Evgeni Malkin got a five year deal for his second contract worth 15.34% of the cap. Dion Phaneuf got a six year deal as his second contract worth the modern equivalent of 10.5 million AAV a year. If Marner wants a five year deal worth 11 million per year, it still wouldn't be as high a % of the cap that Rick Nash got on his five year second contract. McDavid's second deal was less % wise than Crosby's and McDavid signed away three UFA years.

I could go on. I'm not sure I see a big shift.

I don't think there's a big shift either. I just think that Leaf fans are suddenly aware of what signing a top notch RFA feels like. Leaf fans had not been in this position before Nylander.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1259 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:13 AM »