Author Topic: Mitch Marner: what now?  (Read 36981 times)

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Marner: what now?
« Reply #1200 on: July 21, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »
While I wouldn’t use the adjective “spoiled” to characterize (what little we know about) Marner’s actions and I’d likely negotiate similarly myself, I do understand a leafs’ fan desire to see Marner sign for a smaller dollar amount.

... I can see we are now firmly in the no-news doldrums of the summer ...

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1200 on: July 21, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 22, 2019, 07:31:54 AM »
While I wouldn’t use the adjective “spoiled” to characterize (what little we know about) Marner’s actions and I’d likely negotiate similarly myself, I do understand a leafs’ fan desire to see Marner sign for a smaller dollar amount.

... I can see we are now firmly in the no-news doldrums of the summer ...
It's a shitty byproduct of the hard cap system that we turn on players who we think need to fit a certain range of payment in terms of cap dollars.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 22, 2019, 08:07:45 AM »
Fans turned on players before the cap too, pretty much based on whatever narrative the media was spinning at the time.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 22, 2019, 08:50:53 AM »

I hesitate to keep talking about this because it's so tragically stupid but isn't the idea behind someone being spoiled that they've been given everything without earning it so they don't appreciate things?

If so, what has Marner been given? For three years he's produced like a first liner and been paid like a 4th line scrub because of the league's rookie wage scale. Even if you want to think that Marner not having signed yet reveals something negative about his character, and again that notion is worthy of ridicule, the idea that he's "spoiled" doesn't fit in the least.

+ being screwed over on performance bonuses. Matthews grossed a couple million more, I believe, because of the differences in their contracts.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 22, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
What I've learned from this thread: People seem to know little about how income taxes for millionaires works.

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 22, 2019, 08:55:21 AM »
Fans turned on players before the cap too, pretty much based on whatever narrative the media was spinning at the time.

I'd rather turn on a player for sub-par play and maybe having a bloated contract a la Zaitsev or Komisarek than due to the machinations of the cap via RFA superstars.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 22, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »

I hesitate to keep talking about this because it's so tragically stupid but isn't the idea behind someone being spoiled that they've been given everything without earning it so they don't appreciate things?

If so, what has Marner been given? For three years he's produced like a first liner and been paid like a 4th line scrub because of the league's rookie wage scale. Even if you want to think that Marner not having signed yet reveals something negative about his character, and again that notion is worthy of ridicule, the idea that he's "spoiled" doesn't fit in the least.

+ being screwed over on performance bonuses. Matthews grossed a couple million more, I believe, because of the differences in their contracts.

Leafs could easily "give back" those couple of million more he would have earned by upping the total over a 6 year term. If they were ok to give him $9.5M x 6 years, up that to $10M x 6 to give him an extra $3M total to make up for the Louless bonus money.

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »

Poor guy has only earned about $2.7 mil (from capfriendly) in his first 3 years. That's more than a lot of people make in their whole working life.

No matter what contract he signs, he's going to have more money than he'll know what to do with (unless he's incredibly stupid).

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 22, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »
Poor guy has only earned about $2.7 mil (from capfriendly) in his first 3 years. That's more than a lot of people make in their whole working life.

No matter what contract he signs, he's going to have more money than he'll know what to do with (unless he's incredibly stupid).

While this is all true, what is your point on this matter? That he should just be happy with whatever he's offered?

Offline 4EVRLEAFAN

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 22, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »

While this is all true, what is your point on this matter? That he should just be happy with whatever he's offered?

Of course not, but as I said in my peply, he was probably offered something around 70 mill and turned it down and he didn't only make 2.7 mill he's already signed some serious endorsements and more will come, he's already a multi millionaire, so at what point do fans finally say enough?

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 22, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »
What does that mean "at what point do fans finally say enough"? Enough of what? And what are we saying? and to whom?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 22, 2019, 11:34:20 AM »
What does that mean "at what point do fans finally say enough"? Enough of what? And what are we saying? and to whom?

Stop using Intact Insurance!

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 22, 2019, 11:41:02 AM »

And all of that money was earned through hard work and talent. He wasn't given anything.

He's negotiating for fair % of the revenue his talent is generating. If you're mad that every dollar he gets is a dollar the team can't spend on someone else, get mad at the league and team for forcing that on us via the cap.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 22, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »

And all of that money was earned through hard work and talent. He wasn't given anything.

He's negotiating for fair % of the revenue his talent is generating. If you're mad that every dollar he gets is a dollar the team can't spend on someone else, get mad at the league and team for forcing that on us via the cap.

I really have never understood the "that's more money than I make so therefore he should be grateful and just accept less" argument. 

He's not working in your industry. He's not competing for a job against a Starbucks barista or most lawyers or doctors etc. 

If you went to your job tomorrow and everyone else was making 5 million and you were making 1, you would be pissed off.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
If you went to your job tomorrow and everyone else was making 5 million and you were making 1, you would be pissed off.

Exactly. I don't think it's a stretch to say that when you look at our society, a pretty common theme is that nobody wants to be paid less than they're worth no matter how much money they have. Marner is one of the 40 or 50 best people in the world at what he does(at least). In just about any industry, if you're that good there's going to be a lot of money involved. Being an athlete is probably one of the few where you're limited in what you can make and what sort of deal you can negotiate for yourself and still fans whine about it.

It takes a really special kind of person to look at a situation where an agent of Mitch Marner is negotiating with an agent of Larry Tanenbaum and Rogers and Bell Media and say "Man, that Mitch Marner sure is greedy".
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1214 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »