Author Topic: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins - Round 1  (Read 7315 times)

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins - Round 1
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »
This will be fun. Too close to call an outcome, but I really want to see which leaf players elevate their game, and which ones don't - and make off season adjustments accordingly.

If last year‘s playoffs were any indication I bet we see Marner and Kapenen raise their games a notch or 2. I also bet Tavares plays lights out along with (hopefully) Anderson. The other key players that must UP their games for the Leafs to prevail are Matthews, and NYLANDER.

BTW. Who remembers when the sens we’re supposed to beat us in four straight games? They beat us every regular season game that year too.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:03:58 AM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »

Probable game 1 defence pairings. I still wish we got to see more of Muzzin-Rielly, but this gives us 3 pairings that Babs will trust against any Bruins line.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
Forward lines at the first post-season practice:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Moore-Gauthier-Brown

Nylander and Matthews split up. Don't love it, I think that they're at their best together, but if all goes well it'd give the Leafs a huge advantage in the L3 match-up. Also it's not like that's set in stone.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »
Forward lines at the first post-season practice:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Moore-Gauthier-Brown

Nylander and Matthews split up. Don't love it, I think that they're at their best together, but if all goes well it'd give the Leafs a huge advantage in the L3 match-up. Also it's not like that's set in stone.
Glad Marleau in not on Matthews line but I wish Nylander was. Nylander on a "shutdown" line is a little worrisome. I would swap Nylander and Kapanen.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »
Glad Marleau in not on Matthews line but I wish Nylander was. Nylander on a "shutdown" line is a little worrisome. I would swap Nylander and Kapanen.

It's not a shutdown line.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 12:04:58 PM »
Lines from Boston's first post-season practice:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kuhlman
Johansson-Coyle-Heinen
Nordstrom-Acciari-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Kampfer

Somewhat noticeably absent from that group is David Backes, who at least projects to be a healthy scratch in game 1. Backes is well past his prime but I'm still a little surprised he isn't on the 4th line there. Without him Boston's forwards really don't seem that much bigger/stronger than ours.

John Moore, Kevan Miller, and Sean Kuraly will all likely start the series on the IR but might appear later on. Miller is a big, physical presence on their blueline so again they lose a bit of their size advantage there.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »

It's not a shutdown line.
Agreed. Thankfully, it looks like Babs will be trusting his best against theirs.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
Boston's two trade deadline-ish acquisitions haven't exactly panned out for them so far. Marcus Johansson has just 1 goal and 3 points in 10 games and missed 10 games with a lung contusion injury. Charlie Coyle has just 2 goals and 6 points in 21 games since becoming a Bruin. Ryan Donato, the guy he was traded for, had 16 points in 22 games with Minnesota post-trade.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »
Kadri has shown he is capable of playing very well defensively against top centres. And then you can use those two other elite centres to destroy the Bruins' inferior 2nd and 3rd lines. I actually think it's a pretty good strategy but hey, I thought Luca Caputi was gonna make it...

Kadri, maybe. But Moore and Kapanen would get eaten alive out there.

I don't see how it can possibly be any worse than how badly that line outplayed us last playoff. I like the idea of letting the Kadri line try to neutralize that threat as best as possible and having the others dominate offensively. And I think Moore will be a heck of a lot more effective than Marleau at this stage.

If we are playing Kadri the most most and constantly chasing the Marchand line around the ice we lose this series.  The Leafs need to get away from this line vs. line matchup approach.  Our depth is better than Boston's.  Boston's 1st line is a better individual line because it is loaded up in a way that we don't use our forwards.  Boston's 4th line is better than our 4th line.  Don't roll 4 lines but just try to not get bad lines caught against each other.  The 4th line can't get caught out against the first line.

We simply don't have a line built to shut down a 100 point player and trying to line match that way just limits how much time Tavares and Matthews get on the ice.

Oh I agree with most of that. I certainly wasn't suggesting that Kadri's line plays all the minutes. I just want them, when they're on the ice, matched against Bergeron's as often as you can. I think they could wear that line down a little bit. But by no means should Trevor Moore be getting more minutes than, say, William Nylander.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »
John Moore, Kevan Miller, and Sean Kuraly will all likely start the series on the IR but might appear later on. Miller is a big, physical presence on their blueline so again they lose a bit of their size advantage there.

Not going to be able to victimize Miller and McQuaid on the regular this time around :(

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »

I predict an orderly series that will eliminate the need for a violent bloodbath.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »
This will be fun. Too close to call an outcome, but I really want to see which leaf players elevate their game, and which ones don't - and make off season adjustments accordingly.

If last year‘s playoffs were any indication I bet we see Marner and Kapenen raise their games a notch or 2. I also bet Tavares plays lights out along with (hopefully) Anderson. The other key players that must UP their games for the Leafs to prevail are Matthews, and NYLANDER.

BTW. Who remembers when the sens we’re supposed to beat us in four straight games? They beat us every regular season game that year too.

Was that the year we swept the Sens in the playoffs?

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »
Boston's two trade deadline-ish acquisitions haven't exactly panned out for them so far. Marcus Johansson has just 1 goal and 3 points in 10 games and missed 10 games with a lung contusion injury. Charlie Coyle has just 2 goals and 6 points in 21 games since becoming a Bruin. Ryan Donato, the guy he was traded for, had 16 points in 22 games with Minnesota post-trade.

I knew that Donato trade was bad as soon as it was made.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »