Author Topic: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins - Round 1  (Read 11800 times)

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins - Round 1
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2019, 05:35:01 PM »

That seems like a lie.

It’s easy to take the blame for something that’s clearly not your fault.

He didn’t adequately replace Komarov and Polak’s PK capabilities.
Hahaha...But Polak sucks, remember? So by Dubas saying that he means Hyman, kappy, Zaitsev and Hainsey weren't good enough right? Dubas can say what he wants but a coach can teach almost anyone willing to be a good PKer. It's about being in the right position, stick position, how you pressure the puck, etc. Pk and PP are on Babs.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 27, 2019, 02:54:51 AM »
It WILL BE Kyle’s fault if he doesn’t fire Babcock.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 27, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »
Dubas can say what he wants but a coach can teach almost anyone willing to be a good PKer. It's about being in the right position, stick position, how you pressure the puck, etc. Pk and PP are on Babs.

I'm sorry but that is false. It takes a certain skillset to be a good penalty killer. Those skills are implemented far earlier in a players development then when they are in the NHL

It's pretty sad that the coach gets blamed when they lose and the players get congratulated when they win. Which one is it?

Babcock certainly made some questionable decisions. So did the players. So did management.

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 27, 2019, 09:47:33 AM »
Hahaha...But Polak sucks, remember?

It is kind of fun to consider that despite Polak, Komorov, Martin, and somewhat Bozak being the whipping boys for the team last year, they're playing active roles on teams that are in the 2nd round. And hey, throw Lou in there, too, the dinosaur that was holding the Leafs back.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:50:30 AM by Frycer14 »

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 27, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
It's pretty sad that the coach gets blamed when they lose and the players get congratulated when they win. Which one is it?

Babcock certainly made some questionable decisions. So did the players. So did management.

Can't agree more.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »

It is kind of fun to consider that despite Polak, Komorov, Martin, and somewhat Bozak being the whipping boys for the team last year, they're playing active roles on teams that are in the 2nd round. And hey, throw Lou in there, too, the dinosaur that was holding the Leafs back.

I hate you and I hate the truths you are bringing me.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2019, 02:37:29 PM »
Dubas can say what he wants but a coach can teach almost anyone willing to be a good PKer. It's about being in the right position, stick position, how you pressure the puck, etc. Pk and PP are on Babs.

I'm sorry but that is false. It takes a certain skillset to be a good penalty killer. Those skills are implemented far earlier in a players development then when they are in the NHL

Babs got lots of praise for game 1 and 5. He got a lot of grief for his terrible decision making. As for the PK, I'm sorry it isn't false, the only skillset needed is to be a hard worker. The PP does require more skill but the plan is on the coach. And for the record, I've never said the players are exempt from wrong doing.
And let the hate fly...Polak would have been fine as a 3rd pairing RD for this team. He's not the best puck mover, but he's nasty and makes guys pay.

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
Babs got lots of praise for game 1 and 5. He got a lot of grief for his terrible decision making. As for the PK, I'm sorry it isn't false, the only skillset needed is to be a hard worker. The PP does require more skill but the plan is on the coach. And for the record, I've never said the players are exempt from wrong doing.
And let the hate fly...Polak would have been fine as a 3rd pairing RD for this team. He's not the best puck mover, but he's nasty and makes guys pay.

Say what, now? The PK absolutely requires specific skills and awareness.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2019, 04:23:26 PM »

Say what, now? The PK absolutely requires specific skills and awareness.
I'm curious so please share what specific skills that Hyman, Brown have that say Johnsson, JT, or almost anyone on the roster doesn't.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 27, 2019, 04:40:00 PM »
http://hockeynow.ca/performance/coach-enio-individual-physical-and-mental-skills-for-killing-penalties
And again. Please tell me what skills Hyman and Brown have that JT and the rest don't. I stand by what I said but I'll clarify it. You can teach literally anyone at the NHL level  how to PK.
One last thing from that link you sent..Here's a quote and line from Bob Johnson from your link...
“You don't need great skill to be a good penalty killer”. You just need hard work.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:43:49 PM by Guilt Trip »

Online Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »

Are you implying that if we just hung on to Bozak/Polak/Martin we'd be in a better position? Or that they actually had a fit in our roster? You are aware that players that don't fit our situation here aren't all so shitty that they can't play hockey anymore.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Frycer14

• Veteran
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2019, 06:06:26 PM »

Are you implying that if we just hung on to Bozak/Polak/Martin we'd be in a better position? Or that they actually had a fit in our roster? You are aware that players that don't fit our situation here aren't all so shitty that they can't play hockey anymore.

Not at all. My point was relative to your last sentence. I've seen multiple people really, really, going over the top with criticism of players on the current roster for a lot of the season, and up to today - not just "fitting in our situation" - the complaints were far more relative to their abilities as NHL players, just like the players I mentioned above.

Perhaps the angry amateur talent evaluators need to eat a little humble pie, is all.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 27, 2019, 07:23:54 PM »
http://hockeynow.ca/performance/coach-enio-individual-physical-and-mental-skills-for-killing-penalties
And again. Please tell me what skills Hyman and Brown have that JT and the rest don't. I stand by what I said but I'll clarify it. You can teach literally anyone at the NHL level  how to PK.
One last thing from that link you sent..Here's a quote and line from Bob Johnson from your link...
“You don't need great skill to be a good penalty killer”. You just need hard work.

No one is saying you need "great skill" if that great skill is considered a player that can dance with the puck....but to take away from a great penalty killer by saying "anyone can do it" is completely false. I am not saying that Tavares can't penalty kill. You're using one of the game's best all around players to prove your point. He's not the norm.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »

No one is saying you need "great skill" if that great skill is considered a player that can dance with the puck....but to take away from a great penalty killer by saying "anyone can do it" is completely false. I am not saying that Tavares can't penalty kill. You're using one of the game's best all around players to prove your point. He's not the norm.
Again you fail to read what I said. Bullfrog said it takes a special skillset. Soooo, I asked what the difference in skill does Hyman possess that JT and the REST don't have so I'm not using just JT as the prime example. So please tell me the special skills Hyman has that the rest who don't pk are missing. We have lots of players who work hard and are good skaters.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:34:57 PM by Guilt Trip »