Author Topic: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Apr. 2nd, 7:30pm - TSN4, TSN 1050  (Read 4026 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricanes @ Leafs - Apr. 2nd, 7:30pm - TSN4, TSN 1050
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:14 AM »
Jake Muzzin sitting out with illness meant he can now no longer hit that elusive 83 games played in one season mark.
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
Say what you will, but Iíve never made it personal.

I appreciate this about you, lc9. We certainly don't see things eye to eye (although there are plenty of areas of overlap) -- who ever does? We, and nearly everyone here, want this team to be excellent. Our primary difference is merely expectations and how that is expressed.

Many in the fanbase see this lineup on paper and rightly have their very high hopes repeatedly dashed against the rocks of the senators and their ilk. I remember our Tank Squad surprising a couple of really good teams too and catching the right breaks at the right time (it happens).

I see a very young core on the right path towards maturing their games in the right direction and these (many) bumps along the way are part of the learning and growing process.
#BeBlessed

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2019, 10:28:55 AM »
Look after Marner crosses by, Auston pivots from facing down to facing skyward thus saving his ankle/tibia from snapping like a twig. What a maneuver. Keep in mind Auston weighs 223lbs. "Matthews out for rest of season with broken ankle." That. Would suck.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:32:23 AM by disco »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »
Thatís a good shot but a good goalie makes that save.   Between his limited starts last year and this year Iím just not seeing it out of Sparks.   He very could go on to have a solid career but a cheap alternative pops up on the market next year Iím not sure Sparks makes camp
Just hasn't done it at this level. Still waiting on the development to start. You would like to see improvement but we haven't. If he was UFA would anyone sign him?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »
Which is what you would expect from an underperforming team.

4 of the top 10 teams have similar drop offs in pt% to the Leafs in the 2nd half of back to backs (CGY,TBL,TOR.WSH)
1 has a more significant drop off (NSH)
2 have drop offs, but less significant than Toronto (PIT. SJS)
1 has a minor increase (BOS)
1 has a major increase (NYI)

So 7 of the top 10 teams in the league perform worse in the 2nd half of back to backs. Maybe its your expectations that are out of whack.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:58:11 AM by Deebo »

Offline Stronger Than All

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2019, 11:41:58 AM »
I was at the game last night. Being in the stands as a paying customer was not fun during that awful first period.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »
That is why I didn't pay to see the Leafs in Arizona, just thought they would pull a stinker on that night and glad I saved my money. 
Once they have a real D in place then this team will be showing up more like the Lightning.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »
Thatís a good shot but a good goalie makes that save.   Between his limited starts last year and this year Iím just not seeing it out of Sparks.   He very could go on to have a solid career but a cheap alternative pops up on the market next year Iím not sure Sparks makes camp
Just hasn't done it at this level. Still waiting on the development to start. You would like to see improvement but we haven't. If he was UFA would anyone sign him?
Definitely not. I think he'd even pass through waivers. I don't think he's ever going to be more then an AHL goalie. He's going to be 26 so if it hasn't happened yet, it probably isn't going to. While Dubas made the right decision back in Sept, it didn't work out the way we hoped. I don't see him on the Leafs next season.

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »
Definitely not. I think he'd even pass through waivers. I don't think he's ever going to be more then an AHL goalie. He's going to be 26 so if it hasn't happened yet, it probably isn't going to. While Dubas made the right decision back in Sept, it didn't work out the way we hoped. I don't see him on the Leafs next season.

When McIlhenny was 26, he had fewer NHL games and a lower sv% than Sparks has now.

He still could have an NHL future ahead of him, not sure of its here though.

Offline Hobbes

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2019, 04:55:35 PM »

When McIlhenny was 26, he had fewer NHL games and a lower sv% than Sparks has now.

I think that's the main thing. He needs a team to stick with him and give him more starts (and more  frequent) along with a LOT of coaching and patience. The way he's swimming around right now reminds me a little bit of Freddy in his first month or two here. Maybe Sparks can overcome that but it's going to be hard for a serious contending team to baby-sit him during that process. He'd be better off on a team like the Wings, Sens, or whatever who are in the tank mode of a rebuild and won't go nuts if it takes him a year or two more to figure it out.

I understand why Dubas made the choice he did, and think it was the right one. It just hasn't panned out as hoped. I suspect the underlying talent is there and just needs more time coddling to get to an NHL level. I don't think McIlhenny would have made too much of an appreciable difference to us this year.

I *do* think we need at minimum a replacement level backup for the next year or two until one of the next crop of young Leaf goaltenders is ready to start pushing for a spot. I guess Sparks could have until next year's training camp to prove himself while Dubas looks for and signs another alternative. Any contending team needs to be 3 deep in NHL-capable goaltenders and we aren't, so that has to be a priority no matter what. Let them duke it out at camp and loser gets sent down. This time I think Sparks would clear.
It's not denial...I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »

Yeah. It's also important to remember that this is the first time he'll have played less than 31 games in a season since his first year in junior. He's almost always been his teams #1 or part of a platoon with a relatively even split. The mental and physical prep to be a backup goalie is very different. Some guys adapt to that quickly, some slowly, and some not at all. All we can say for sure right now is that Sparks doesn't fall into the first category.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan