Author Topic: Leafs @ sens - Mar. 16th, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs @ sens - Mar. 16th, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2019, 07:06:13 PM »
So many games happen now that would have been termed major upsets based on record, but that are really just that any team can beat any other in any given night. If one analyzes a team's result on a game by game basis, you'll drive yourself nuts.

Sorry to pick out a single point from a really good post, and then take it on a tangent... but I have been wondering what the sports science guys do with the various NHL teams training regimens when they’re in a position like a Leafs/Bruins or particularly Tampa.

I’d presume there’s some sort of extra training loading going on which will then taper come playoff time... hockey is heavy on endurance so there must be some variety of it. I then wonder what the impact is on individual games.

Not saying it is the reason for poor performances or the like... but IF a team were hypothetically deliberately adding load to player training programs, you might expect that some players, and particularly young players, might look lethargic as a result of fatigue... and find themselves less competitive against teams you’d normally expect them to beat easily who aren’t experiencing the same workload.

To take this further on a tangent, a lot of us (myself included) have criticized Babcock for not playing the stars more.  And several folks on here have observed that it's intentional, he doesn't want to wear out the guys before the playoffs in case they do go deep.

He sticks to his game plan, game in and game out.  He doesn't throw guys out there for extra shifts much, hardly at all as far as I've noticed, and especially not to make same kind of push in games like last night which, while not meaningless, aren't worth sacrificing the plan for.

We'll see if it pays off.  In a close series it might.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »
So many games happen now that would have been termed major upsets based on record, but that are really just that any team can beat any other in any given night. If one analyzes a team's result on a game by game basis, you'll drive yourself nuts.

Sorry to pick out a single point from a really good post, and then take it on a tangent... but I have been wondering what the sports science guys do with the various NHL teams training regimens when they’re in a position like a Leafs/Bruins or particularly Tampa.

I’d presume there’s some sort of extra training loading going on which will then taper come playoff time... hockey is heavy on endurance so there must be some variety of it. I then wonder what the impact is on individual games.

Not saying it is the reason for poor performances or the like... but IF a team were hypothetically deliberately adding load to player training programs, you might expect that some players, and particularly young players, might look lethargic as a result of fatigue... and find themselves less competitive against teams you’d normally expect them to beat easily who aren’t experiencing the same workload.

To take this further on a tangent, a lot of us (myself included) have criticized Babcock for not playing the stars more.  And several folks on here have observed that it's intentional, he doesn't want to wear out the guys before the playoffs in case they do go deep.

He sticks to his game plan, game in and game out.  He doesn't throw guys out there for extra shifts much, hardly at all as far as I've noticed, and especially not to make same kind of push in games like last night which, while not meaningless, aren't worth sacrificing the plan for.

We'll see if it pays off.  In a close series it might.

I mean, we could look at the top 10 TOI forwards in the league and then take a look at where their team sits in the standings. I get that some of that is due to their teams overall skill levels, and that's also a reason they're getting more ice, but you don't see the top teams over using their skilled players

http://www.espn.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/timeonice/sort/avgTimeOnIce/qualified/false/position/forwards

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2019, 09:12:27 PM »