Author Topic: The powerplay: Time to reboot?  (Read 611 times)

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The powerplay: Time to reboot?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 01:29:42 PM »
I hope they get somewhat equal opportunity. I don't want to listen to the optics of Matthews being referred to anything "second unit".
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 01:29:42 PM »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
Kapanen now on PP duh.

This (or something like it) should have been done before Xmas but Babcock is essentially a mule with a very high salary.

It should balance the threat from the 2 units.  As bad as both have been lately, the second was none at all.
Crazy that he goes through guys like Levio, Moore, Hyman, and Brown but not the most obvious, most skilled, best scorers. I think he is obsessed with his idea of what he perceives as roles, player types and line structure.

Just get your best players on the ice and much as you can without burning them out.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
Kapanen now on PP duh.

This (or something like it) should have been done before Xmas but Babcock is essentially a mule with a very high salary.

It should balance the threat from the 2 units.  As bad as both have been lately, the second was none at all.

Who said it was Babcock being stubborn and not something like: Well Matty, I promised you'd get a shot with the primary unit and it was gangbusters for a bit there, but here we are halfway through the season and maybe it's time for a change, hm?

Tavares has to switch positions I think.  He's too valuable of a player to just stand in front of the net and look for the JVR type goals on the PP.  I think he'd be able to do alot more in Kadri's current spot.

Tavares is valuable because he can fulfill just about any role. He can run the halfwall. He can score off the bumper. He can be net front tap and tip guy. So that's why he's there, because our other PP options are better suited where they already are.

I think you'll see Kadri more engaged when Marner is no longer only looking for passes to Matthews.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »

I'm not sure how to respond to posts like this?

Babcock's record since being with the Leafs is 145 - 108 - 35. If you remove the first season(which brought Matthews here), he's 116 - 66 - 24. Since being here the team has shown constant improvement. That's the result of two things: The team getting better players, and the team receiving proper management both in the press box and on the bench.

You can't expect a coach, in an 82 game season to constantly flip flop every time the wind tickles his under britches the wrong way(is there a wrong way?). If we had a coach, that behaved like many do on this board every time the team had a bad game, it would be absolute chaos and the chances of success would be slim to none.

As a coach you build a team to win in March, April, May, & June. This team is going to go through growing pains. They will continue to go through growing pains. They are mainly a young team, with many flaws. They are extremely talented and that makes up for some of those flaws but not all of them.

Does Babcock have some flaws? Sure he does. He'd be the first to tell you he does. So do all coaches, managers, bosses, CEO's, etc;

If this team's record was reversed and was 13-27-2 you'd be screaming that the coach was a jacka$$.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »
You can't expect a coach, in an 82 game season to constantly flip flop every time the wind tickles his under britches the wrong way(is there a wrong way?). If we had a coach, that behaved like many do on this board every time the team had a bad game, it would be absolute chaos and the chances of success would be slim to none.

+1,000,000

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 07:05:17 PM »

+1,000,000

Straw man your arguments much?

No, look, I'll help you guys out by clarifying what I really meant:

This (or something like it) should have been done before Xmas back in October the minute the PP dropped below 30% and then he should have rejiggered the units after every game in which the PP failed to convert on all of its chances preferably using five-sigma randomization algorithms but failing that throwing darts at Carlton the Bear, but Babcock is essentially a mule with a very high salary.

There, you got me.  Well done.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »

+1,000,000

Straw man your arguments much?

No, look, I'll help you guys out by clarifying what I really meant:

This (or something like it) should have been done before Xmas back in October the minute the PP dropped below 30% and then he should have rejiggered the units after every game in which the PP failed to convert on all of its chances preferably using five-sigma randomization algorithms but failing that throwing darts at Carlton the Bear, but Babcock is essentially a mule with a very high salary.

There, you got me.  Well done.

:o Carry on man. I'm not even sure what you're going on about.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »