Author Topic: Nylander signs 6-year contract  (Read 14696 times)

Offline cap44

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Nylander signs 6-year contract
« Reply #435 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »
Step back from the ledge.

I don't think it's unfair to be critical of his game this season so far, and it's funny to me to see the length to which people stat-mine to try to prove otherwise. I was ridiculed with my opinion that his stats were substantially overstated last year as a result of playing with Matthews, and he's done nothing this year but prove my point.

my point exactly. Ennis is not a top six and I am struggling to Nylander as one as well. Certainly his performance indicates to me that he is not!

That said, Dubas went into this signing playing the long game, and like him, I'd be far more willing to bet he'll be worth his contract over the duration rather than falling short.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #435 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:59 PM »

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
This contract will look like a steal within 1-2 years.

I'm one of the biggest Nylander fans on this board, but I don't think it'll ever look like a steal. I think it'll look completely appropriate, and that's ok.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 14, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »

I'm one of the biggest Nylander fans on this board, but I don't think it'll ever look like a steal. I think it'll look completely appropriate, and that's ok.

Could be a steal alright...for my Nylander maybe.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 14, 2019, 11:07:24 PM »
Step back from the ledge.

I don't think it's unfair to be critical of his game this season so far, and it's funny to me to see the length to which people stat-mine to try to prove otherwise. I was ridiculed with my opinion that his stats were substantially overstated last year as a result of playing with Matthews, and he's done nothing this year but prove my point.

That said, Dubas went into this signing playing the long game, and like him, I'd be far more willing to bet he'll be worth his contract over the duration rather than falling short.
There's a difference between thinking he wasn't ready out of the gate and has room to improve and thinking we need to get out of an albatross of a contract asap.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 15, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »

In the first season at least, he's getting paid more than $8 million. That's not bad for 25ish points.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »

In the first season at least, he's getting paid more than $8 million. That's not bad for 25ish points.

Heh, true enough, but no one should be too bothered about the structure - MLSE isn't going to declare bankruptcy any time soon.

What needs to happen is to abandon the idea (for the time being, at least), that Nylander is going to be a center, or 3rd line winger, and drive a line. Put him back with Matthews and Hyman. His skills complement the kind of game Matthews' plays, far more so than Kapanen and Johnsson - Nylander should be the winger version of Backstrom to Matthew's Ovechkin.
If it takes a month to get comfortable again, so be it. It's hard to find chemistry sometimes for linemates of elite players - they had something that worked for Matthews, and they paid 7M a year on the cap to keep it. So why deviate when it's clearly not working?

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 15, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »

Heh, true enough, but no one should be too bothered about the structure - MLSE isn't going to declare bankruptcy any time soon.

What needs to happen is to abandon the idea (for the time being, at least), that Nylander is going to be a center, or 3rd line winger, and drive a line. Put him back with Matthews and Hyman. His skills complement the kind of game Matthews' plays, far more so than Kapanen and Johnsson - Nylander should be the winger version of Backstrom to Matthew's Ovechkin.
If it takes a month to get comfortable again, so be it. It's hard to find chemistry sometimes for linemates of elite players - they had something that worked for Matthews, and they paid 7M a year on the cap to keep it. So why deviate when it's clearly not working?

I don't really think I came away from Nylander's stretch of playing center thinking he wouldn't be good as the 3C on this team.  The problem is Nylander needs a goal scorer on his wing and he was playing with combinations of Marleau/Brown who are not goal scorers. 
Even guys like Johnson and Kapanen, while scoring goals they really aren't set up to finish kind of scorers.  I think Nylander as the center for a guy like Ovechkin would be a good line.  The Leafs just aren't going to have the depth to do that. 

He's better playing on the wing with Matthews or Tavares.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 15, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »
From Siegels article in the Athletic today about the reunification of Nylander with Matthews is that it looks like it is here to stay. Matthews was basically saying he loves having Nylander on his wing, that they feed off each other. Babs was saying Nylander was the catalyst in the comeback attempt, so I stick by steal.
Just hope they keep Johnsson on the LW clearly makes this line much more dynamic than Hyman in that spot.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 15, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
From the aforementioned Siegel article:

Matthews on comparing Mathew Tkachuk to William Nylander and expressing his admiration for the performance of the posterior of his partner:
[Tkachuk]s not like Willy where hes flying around and cutting through edges and stuff, but hes got his ass out and hes just protecting the puck and its hard to take off of him. And then its kind of the same thing, youre getting in an open position and hes finding you the puck.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
I feel... conflicted...

That makes more sensehahahahaha

Dude has chemistry with everyone

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2019, 03:08:31 PM »
That assist from behind the net with one hand fighting two guys to the front where Auston wasn't even occupying yet was one of the best assists I've ever seen.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 18, 2019, 02:16:15 PM »

2017-18 for reference:

2016-17 for reference:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:37:18 PM by herman »

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 18, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »

So Matthews is better without Nylander.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 18, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »

So Matthews is better without Nylander.

But isn't Nylander the cause of all the Leafs' problems?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 18, 2019, 03:37:29 PM »
Fun thing if you're poking through hockeyviz for Toronto this season, Willy is currently rocking the highest Threat% differential 5v5 for-against. Threat% is a simplified Expected Goals model and is essentially a likelihood of scoring based on shot location. Higher % For = good offense. Higher % Against = bad defense.

I did the hard work of grabbing today's %ages from the Leafs forwards' respective 5v5 shot maps and dumping them all into a table and calculating some differentials and relative comps to the team avg. This is a grossly simplified slice and dice and not even remotely statistically rigorous, but still quite telling in a systematic sense. This is sorted by 5v5 For - 5v5 Against as the measure of who generates the most offense while giving up the least.

Player Threat%5v5ForWith5v5ForWithout5v5AgainstWith5v5AgainstWithout5v5 For-Against5v5For With-Without5v5 For rel5v5 Against rel
William Nylander271079201713.83-1.42
Zach Hyman327176152518.838.58
John Tavares306156152416.836.58
Mitch Marner258146111711.835.58
Auston Matthews24916681510.837.58
Andreas Johnsson12134108-1-1.17-4.42
Kasperi Kapanen1911137685.834.58
Nazem Kadri1512108531.831.58
Patrick Marleau1213175-5-1-1.178.58
Connor Brown-418310-7-22-17.17-5.42
Frederik Gauthier-2219-1412-8-41-35.17-22.42
Tyler Ennis-1216-110-11-28-25.17-9.42