Author Topic: Nylander signs 6-year contract  (Read 14675 times)

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nylander signs 6-year contract
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
The contract not going into effect until tomorrow also explains why no roster moves were made today. Expect a paper transaction sending either Lindholm or Oz to the Marlies and someone (my guess Gauthier or Holl) going on waivers.

I was wondering about this
They don't have to make a roster move until he's ready to go on the roster. He still needs to get here and go through his physical. I suspect the Leafs will make a move pretty quick tho.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2018, 09:17:31 PM »

Snizzbone strikes

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »

The contract not going into effect until tomorrow also explains why no roster moves were made today. Expect a paper transaction sending either Lindholm or Oz to the Marlies and someone (my guess Gauthier or Holl) going on waivers.

I'm curious why the signing bonus in the first year isn't included as part of the salary. If it was, then the cap hit in subsequent years would be even lower.

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2018, 11:06:21 PM »

I'm curious why the signing bonus in the first year isn't included as part of the salary. If it was, then the cap hit in subsequent years would be even lower.

Then Nylander would take less home, because the amount added to the salary from the bonus would be pro rated rather than being paid in full. The cap hit only goes down if he is receiveing less money.

The yearly cap hit is still equal to the total amount being paid divided by the years being played.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:08:27 PM by Deebo »

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »
Now letís see Pastrnak stats! I feel sorry for opposing goalies. This should be one hell of season. Unreal top 9, with the ďarrivalsĒ of Kappy and Johnsson in addition to Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, and Kadri... come on now! Anderson and Riley playing lights out too! Letís calm down on pending contracts for a bit and enjoy this season.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2018, 06:57:12 AM »
Now letís see Pastrnak stats! I feel sorry for opposing goalies. This should be one hell of season. Unreal top 9, with the ďarrivalsĒ of Kappy and Johnsson in addition to Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, and Kadri... come on now! Anderson and Riley playing lights out too! Letís calm down on pending contracts for a bit and enjoy this season.
But Brian Burke said it's a bad deal paying Nylander this much *scratching head*

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2018, 07:32:29 AM »
But Brian Burke said it's a bad deal paying Nylander this much *scratching head*

Remind me again which team he works for? I mean, surely someone who is so right must be in high demand to manage a team, right?

Talent > truculence

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »

Remind me again which team he works for? I mean, surely someone who is so right must be in high demand to manage a team, right?

Talent > truculence
I can't believe how excited I was in 2008 when they hired him cause he had just won a Cup with Anaheim. Man was that enthusiasm killed quickly after I saw the team he put together.

Only credit to Burke is for drafting Kadri, Rielly and trading for Gardiner.  Although the drafting is more than likely the scouts getting credit.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2018, 08:29:24 AM »

Talent > truculence
I can't believe how excited I was in 2008 when they hired him cause he had just won a Cup with Anaheim. Man was that enthusiasm killed quickly after I saw the team he put together.

Only credit to Burke is for drafting Kadri, Rielly and trading for Gardiner.  Although the drafting is more than likely the scouts getting credit.

I had the same reactions myself. Initial euphoria quickly subsiding into dread, confusion and annoyance. His self-imposed rules and guidelines combined with his endless talk become so maddening at the end.

Kadri and Rielly sure look good but my god, Bradley Ross? Stuart Percy? Tyler Biggs? The latter might be one of the worst 1st round picks in recent history...

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2018, 08:39:58 AM »

Talent > truculence

I had the same reactions myself. Initial euphoria quickly subsiding into dread, confusion and annoyance. His self-imposed rules and guidelines combined with his endless talk become so maddening at the end.

Kadri and Rielly sure look good but my god, Bradley Ross? Stuart Percy? Tyler Biggs? The latter might be one of the worst 1st round picks in recent history...
I mean even the worst GMs can have a track record of good draft picks if your scouting is decent. Look at JFJ's tenure and you'll see a bunch of good picks (that were either traded or squandered away). The real test of a GM is how he handles the trades and contract negotiations that matter. Handing out huge contracts with NMCs like Burke and Nonis did was stupid. Took a miracle to get out of the Phaneuf and Clarkson deals. I'm so glad we have great management finally

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »
Funny enough, I thought Burke made some pretty great trades. JVR, Gardiner/Lupul, Phaneuf were all steals. He just absolutely sucked at signing/giving out contracts. And Tyler Biggs!

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »
Iím as happy as anyone here that this story is over now. Iím just trying to be realistic with my expectations for Nylanderís performance this year. Typically when a player misses camp they come back all out of sync and take a while to get going. Weíre not just talking camp here - itís been 3 months.

Obviously the team is better with him - I just have a feeling itís not going to be a smooth transition.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
Funny enough, I thought Burke made some pretty great trades. JVR, Gardiner/Lupul, Phaneuf were all steals. He just absolutely sucked at signing/giving out contracts. And Tyler Biggs!

Forgot about JVR, that was a steal for sure.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »

Eh, I don't want to open up this can of worms again but I think history has proven me right about the Phaneuf trade. It was a pretty fair price, probably the equivalent of the Leafs paying a 1st and two 2nds.

Re: Burke I think he was a bright executive and I think that unlike Lamoriello a lot of his rules came out of trying to be a decent guy. I just think the problem with him, as with all of the GMs who came before him and the one after him, was he was overly confident in his ability to do the ridiculous thing the team wanted him to do. I think that if his mandate had been rebuilding, he probably would have done ok as we saw with the higher draft picks he had to work with.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »

Then Nylander would take less home, because the amount added to the salary from the bonus would be pro rated rather than being paid in full. The cap hit only goes down if he is receiveing less money.

The yearly cap hit is still equal to the total amount being paid divided by the years being played.

Thanks. Once you point it out, it's plainly obvious. lol

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »