Author Topic: Nylander signs 6-year contract  (Read 14193 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: Nylander signs 6-year contract
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »
I think the inference there was that if you won in Toronto, with the bigger fanbase and all that, that it would be a bigger deal because of the bigger more established, and Cup starved, fanbase.

So maybe you'd be a big deal to more people, and that would make it more enjoyable?

I don't know if it's a great argument, because I think if you were a Jet, and Winnipeg won a Cup, you'd be a big deal too, no matter what Kelsey's you went to for dinner in Manitoba.

No, I agree. The issue is that if it's a difference, it's a difference in degree. I get the idea that hockey players are bigger celebrities in Toronto than in Arizona but as we've seen, that's not always a positive for players. Winning a cup would just seem to magnify that.

But even beyond that, whenever we talk about this we always tend to talk about Toronto, the biggest deal, vs. Arizona or a city that represents the other extreme. We never talk about the significant room between them. Take Minnesota or Calgary, for instance, would winning a cup in Toronto mean an appreciable difference for players here than there? That's much less clear and to the extent that it's true I think it's just a reflection of Toronto as a city more than any level of hockey fandom.

That said, I still stand by my saying that it's precisely that level of fandom here that would make fans here probably be just as quick to turn on players after a cup win as before. Winning will probably just breed desire for more winning.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »

This feels like a shot at Chiarelli.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »
I don't get the NHLPA comment? In order for it to be processed, they need it by 4:30?

This is literally the standard teenage response to a deadline.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »

This feels like a shot at Chiarelli.

Just judging from reading the transcript of his remarks, it seems like he was dodging the question as much as he could.  Not sure he could be real happy with Nylander there.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »
I don't get the NHLPA comment? In order for it to be processed, they need it by 4:30?

This is literally the standard teenage response to a deadline.

A 22-year-old teenager, I guess.  :o 

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2018, 09:48:12 PM »

The teenager lifestyle extends well into the 20s these days.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2018, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2018, 03:06:06 PM »
So. When does he go back into the line up? Weekend?
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
We're in trouble.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2018/12/04/nhl-s--83-million-cap-could-crunch-maple-leafs-in-2019-20.html

Kapanen and Johnsson on the attached link are slated at 2.5M and 1.5M... yeah right. Marleau's contract could cost us a Johnsson or Kapanen or both. I really hope there was a wink an nudge agreement for the third year of his deal. Need to start giving him rest days for a "sore back", setting the table for Robidas island next year. Need the cap space in a bad way.

Brown/Hyman/Zaitsev/Oz may have to be replaced with lower salary guys. We're still going to be pretty damn good I just hope we can find some cheap role players.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »

I was a teenager until I was 31.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
We're in trouble.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2018/12/04/nhl-s--83-million-cap-could-crunch-maple-leafs-in-2019-20.html

Kapanen and Johnsson on the attached link are slated at 2.5M and 1.5M... yeah right. Marleau's contract could cost us a Johnsson or Kapanen or both. I really hope there was a wink an nudge agreement for the third year of his deal. Need to start giving him rest days for a "sore back", setting the table for Robidas island next year. Need the cap space in a bad way.

Brown/Hyman/Zaitsev/Oz may have to be replaced with lower salary guys. We're still going to be pretty damn good I just hope we can find some cheap role players.

I'm not too worried. Brown may have to go. Zaitsev going would help. Kapanen and Johnsson are candidates for bridge deals. It's tight, but it's not really scary tight.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »

Mine is 26 going on 12
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »
We're in trouble.

Kapanen and Johnsson on the attached link are slated at 2.5M and 1.5M... yeah right.

I really don't think these two guesses are that crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if both are signed to 1-year deals just so the team can get past the Marleau deal and then they'll get raises after that. The Leafs will actually be able to sort of use their lack of cap space in their favour in these negotiations. They can hold a strong stance and literally just say "this is all we can afford to give you right now, take it or leave it".

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »