Author Topic: Nylander signs 6-year contract  (Read 4303 times)

Offline TimKerr

• Marlie
    • View Profile
Re: Nylander signs 6-year contract
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »
I like Ferraro. Provides a good mix of media-savvy with practical experience. I'm surprised Jennifer Hedger double-down on the whole "why not send him to the Marlies?" angle. Ferraro's response was good: "and what, play Freddie the Goat more?" Seriously, Nylander at 50% is 100% better than Gauthier.

I often wonder. Do any radio/TV hosts mean anything they say or do they just take a contrarian view in order to get clicks?
How can any rational person expect Nylander to be back to NHL shape after two games?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2018, 12:03:00 PM »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 11, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
When Jeff O'Neill's take is better than yours, you're in trouble. Yikes.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
I like Ferraro. Provides a good mix of media-savvy with practical experience. I'm surprised Jennifer Hedger double-down on the whole "why not send him to the Marlies?" angle. Ferraro's response was good: "and what, play Freddie the Goat more?" Seriously, Nylander at 50% is 100% better than Gauthier.

I often wonder. Do any radio/TV hosts mean anything they say or do they just take a contrarian view in order to get clicks?
How can any rational person expect Nylander to be back to NHL shape after two games?

I've never listened to sportstalk radio before, but I clicked on this because I do like Ferraro a lot.

I could only stand to listen for about 3 minutes.  It's pretty clear what the answer to your question is.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
If you think the hosts had bad takes, try listening to the callers that dial in.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
If you think the hosts had bad takes, try listening to the callers that dial in.
And the hot take for toughness is just so idiotic. The Bruins beat the Leafs by playing and executing a better overall game, not by being tough guys. How many defensive lapses did the Leafs have because they need more Colton Orr's?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »
And the hot take for toughness is just so idiotic. The Bruins beat the Leafs by playing and executing a better overall game, not by being tough guys. How many defensive lapses did the Leafs have because they need more Colton Orr's?

I'm not concerned by the last 2 games.  It's the ebb and flows of a season.  The team plays really well for stretches and really poorly for other stretches.  Right now they're in a poor play stretch, but hopefully they can get out of it soon.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »

I'm not concerned by the last 2 games.  It's the ebb and flows of a season.  The team plays really well for stretches and really poorly for other stretches.  Right now they're in a poor play stretch, but hopefully they can get out of it soon.

https://theathletic.com/705404/2018/12/10/bourne-mike-babcocks-biggest-challenge-is-convincing-the-leafs-that-they-cant-win-on-talent-alone/

For those that can't/won't read this, Justin Bourne addresses what usually happens to a good team that a) thinks it's great*; and b) is getting back top tier players.

There is a natural sitting back up and down the line up as players expecting the returning star (or two in this case) to carry so much of the load tend to ease off the gas a bit, especially when you look at the lineup card of the opposing team and see a mish mash of AHLers.

In 2002 when the Leafs gritted out back-to-back 7 game series wins against the Islanders and senators, they lost Sundin partway through Round 1 after playing 3 games on a fractured wrist. He made a nigh miraculous return for the Carolina series and the Leafs immediately deflated.

Intensity and game speed are not switches to be turned on at will. Matthews and Nylander being out at the same time put a lot of the depth players in position to impress. It's going to take time for them to ramp back up; they're contributing but not quite to their best and certainly not in sync with the rest of the lineup yet. Honestly, I think it'll take nearly a month. The important thing is for them to be fully synced and healthy for April/May.

* It is my philosophy that a really good team needs to eat a few smack downs in the regular season so that complacency doesn't set in. I think that's why Babcock plays Andersen so much (so the team doesn't think this will just be a cake walk to throw the backup against), even down the stretch with the playoff berth locked up. It's very difficult to get a team to pull their hardest when there's no one chasing (or to be chased).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:03:12 PM by herman »

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 11, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »

https://theathletic.com/705404/2018/12/10/bourne-mike-babcocks-biggest-challenge-is-convincing-the-leafs-that-they-cant-win-on-talent-alone/

For those that can't/won't read this, Justin Bourne addresses what usually happens to a good team that a) thinks it's great*; and b) is getting back top tier players.

There is a natural sitting back up and down the line up as players expecting the returning star (or two in this case) to carry so much of the load tend to ease off the gas a bit, especially when you look at the lineup card of the opposing team and see a mish mash of AHLers.

In 2002 when the Leafs gritted out back-to-back 7 game series wins against the Islanders and senators, they lost Sundin partway through Round 1 after playing 3 games on a fractured wrist. He made a nigh miraculous return for the Carolina series and the Leafs immediately deflated.

Intensity and game speed are not switches to be turned on at will. Matthews and Nylander being out at the same time put a lot of the depth players in position to impress. It's going to take time for them to ramp back up; they're contributing but not quite to their best and certainly not in sync with the rest of the lineup yet. Honestly, I think it'll take nearly a month. The important thing is for them to be fully synced and healthy for April/May.

* It is my philosophy that a really good team needs to eat a few smack downs in the regular season so that complacency doesn't set in. I think that's why Babcock plays Andersen so much (so the team doesn't think this will just be a cake walk to throw the backup against), even down the stretch with the playoff berth locked up. It's very difficult to get a team to pull their hardest when there's no one chasing (or to be chased).

I read the Bourne article, it was pretty good.  Just addressing your last point about Babcock playing Andersen so often -- I think it's counterproductive to showing the Leafs they have to play hard all the time.  Let me explain, when Andersen is in and playing in top form, he regularly makes difficult saves look routine, so the team thinks they're playing well and are actually better than they really are.  If you have a lesser goalie in there, letting in difficult chances, maybe the team realizes it's got to collectively play better.  Look at Saturday, Andersen had a subpar performance, along with most of the Leafs on the ice, and they got hammered.  If Andersen stands on his head that game, and the Leafs eke out a win, will they feel even remotely the same way?  Nope.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
Just addressing your last point about Babcock playing Andersen so often -- I think it's counterproductive to showing the Leafs they have to play hard all the time.  Let me explain, when Andersen is in and playing in top form, he regularly makes difficult saves look routine, so the team thinks they're playing well and are actually better than they really are.  If you have a lesser goalie in there, letting in difficult chances, maybe the team realizes it's got to collectively play better.  Look at Saturday, Andersen had a subpar performance, along with most of the Leafs on the ice, and they got hammered.  If Andersen stands on his head that game, and the Leafs eke out a win, will they feel even remotely the same way?  Nope.

I'm a bit mixed on this, because having a goalie let in a bunch of softies early on generally means your team is now taking riskier risks to generate opportunity which also means your structure is now the shape of a poop emoji.

In any case, this team is still fairly young at the core and needs to learn how to balance when to press and when to maintain their mark. They know they can outscore a lot of their problems and it does make them a bit cocky; I don't mind the coaching staff pulling the reins at times to try to make them a bit more Babcocky instead.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
When Jeff O'Neill's take is better than yours, you're in trouble. Yikes.
I like O'Neill. He's def entertaining. I absolutely loved Ferraro calling out Hayes and calling him and fan boy for his take on Nylander. That was a beauty..

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 11, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »
I like O'Neill. He's def entertaining. I absolutely loved Ferraro calling out Hayes and calling him and fan boy for his take on Nylander. That was a beauty..

He's entertaining, yes, but his takes are generally, ummm, poor.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »

He's entertaining, yes, but his takes are generally, ummm, poor.
Well that's the whole point isn't it, to be entertained? Like anyone else, I don't agree with everything he says but I do appreciate the perspective of a guy that actually played the game at that high a level. I also Jerry's percentages lol.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »