Author Topic: 2018-2019 Toronto Marlies Thread: Hail to the Champions...and Onwards!  (Read 22263 times)

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2018-2019 Toronto Marlies Thread: Hail to the Champions...and Onwards!
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
Scott Darling on a conditioning stint. McBackup going back to the waiver wire?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
Omg

Gilman and Corrado were BFFs back in their Vancouver days (presumably, at the very least Gilman was the AGM there during Corrado's drafting/development phase). Gilman was fired the summer before the Canucks lost Corrado on waivers.

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
I thought the Marlies were pretty flush with d-men?

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 11:58:57 AM »

This has typically been their defence corps this season:

Rosen-Liljegren
Borgman-LoVerde
Nielsen-Subban

It's not bad, but losing Dermott and Holl was a pretty big blow to them. I'm guessing Corrado, LoVerde, and Subban will all rotate in and out of the line-up on the right side.

I think this is pretty similar to the Gagner situation. A local player who should be an upper echelon AHL guy wanted to play close to home and Gilman jumped at the chance to add to a position where there isn't a lot of prospect depth.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 12:02:06 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »

Mostly on the left side:

LD:
Rosen
Borgman
Neilsen
Sandin*
Cumiskey
Jardine

RD:
Liljegren
Loverde
Subban
Corrado
Sproul

* Injured

With the number of 3 in 3 weekends the Marlies have over the span of the season, you need more guys than the typical NHL roster.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »
With the number of 3 in 3 weekends the Marlies have over the span of the season, you need more guys than the typical NHL roster.

Unless I missed an announcement, Sproul and Cumiskey are also both on PTO's at the moment so they might not be hanging around.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
Scott Darling on a conditioning stint. McBackup going back to the waiver wire?

Possibly. Outside his record, his numbers aren't great - better than Mrazek, but still not good - and the cap saving is the same, regardless of which gets sent their AHL affiliate. Coin-flip on which of the two they decide to hold on to.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »
The Marlies' goaltending isn't looking great either, but I don't know what the underlying defensive numbers look like.  Glass at .875 and Kaskisuo at .860, so far.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »

FRANKIE'S BACK

Did he just leapfrog Jordan Subban on the depth chart?

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
Gilman and Corrado were BFFs back in their Vancouver days (presumably, at the very least Gilman was the AGM there during Corrado's drafting/development phase). Gilman was fired the summer before the Canucks lost Corrado on waivers.

Seems like quite a bit of unfinished business Gilman is picking back up. Let's see if the dev team can Justin Holl Frankie back to form.

Possibly. Outside his record, his numbers aren't great - better than Mrazek, but still not good - and the cap saving is the same, regardless of which gets sent their AHL affiliate. Coin-flip on which of the two they decide to hold on to.

This is another one of those areas where MLSE's nigh unlimited funds gives the Leafs a leg up on smaller markets. The Leafs can afford to blow a lot of cash on carrying nearly two teams worth of Marlies where there is no cap and no roster limit (on top of the development, nutrition, sports science, amenities spending), so even though McElhinney's a fully buriable hit, the one-way contract makes it a 6-figure amount (850k) that other teams want to avoid for their minor league expenses.
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »
I agree Herman. The Blackhawks were able to maintain a winning team for years by constantly bringing in players that had developed in the AHL or Europe. The Leafs may have to move Kadri in order to facilitate keeping Matthews, Marner and Nylander, but the blow will be lessened if players such as Moore and Grundstrom and Engvall can successfully make the jump to the NHL.

I think we still have a lot of value left in the Kadri contract. Unless there is a centre prospect really banging down the doors, there are better options for making future cap space (Zaitsev).

These Marlie seniors are options for backfilling the depth lines (4th line, 3rd pairing) on bare minimum cap hits, with familiarity with our systems and ripened skillsets. They're not meant to perform at core-player level, but as 2-3 year temporaries that will spin up some value. On the off-chance that one defies all expectations and plays his way into a Jonathan Marchessault type season, then we get the opportunity to score bigger on a trade either for that player or the core piece that he displaces.
#BeBlessed

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID
 ;D
#BeBlessed

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
 ;D

Right out of the Liljegren playbook

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
 ;D

Right out of the Liljegren playbook

From the very small sample I saw of him with the Marlies in dev camp, Sandin looks more defensively mature than most of the prospects/fringe and even some Leafs, so it'll be a matter of adjusting to the speed and strength of his opponents and learning how to work through all of that. Improvements to his skating (a la Dermott) will make him very difficult to get around or knock off the puck.
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »

I think they essentially chose Corrado over both. With him and Sandin the Marlies should be able to have 4 defence pairings now to rotate with.