Author Topic: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 23285 times)

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
See at that point do you maybe go with Nylander as your number two and flip him with Kadri?  I still think that third line scores at a lower rate than the JVR-Bozak-Brown trio.  It could be offset a little if Matthews and Marner have breakout years and establish themselves in the upper echelon of the league. 

Well 2C vs. 3C really wouldn't be all that different, it's just that Kadri would be getting the tougher match-ups. You could swap Brown and Kapanen if you wanted.

Well I thank you sir for giving me a choice. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »

Offline mr grieves

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
Assuming we add nobody and Babcock is forced to use Nylander at centre:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Nylander-Brown
guy-guy-guy

Mine:

Johnsson - Matthews - Hyman
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
[Leivo/Grundstrom/UFA] - Nylander - Kapanen

Trade Brown.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »

I do think though that this discussion nicely underscores the fact that if the Leafs let JVR walk and effectively replace him with nobody it's going to be pretty hard for this team to be as balanced as they were last year.

I agree.  Bozak scored 43 pts last season.  JvR had 54.  From what I've seen of Johnsson, I feel he could comfortably be a 40+ pt guy, replacing all of Bozak's scoring.  Kapanen, on the other hand, is probably a 30-35 pt guy in a Top 9 role.... so 20-25 points is quite a drop from one of your Top 9 forward spots.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »

I do think though that this discussion nicely underscores the fact that if the Leafs let JVR walk and effectively replace him with nobody it's going to be pretty hard for this team to be as balanced as they were last year.

I agree.  Bozak scored 43 pts last season.  JvR had 54.  From what I've seen of Johnsson, I feel he could comfortably be a 40+ pt guy, replacing all of Bozak's scoring.  Kapanen, on the other hand, is probably a 30-35 pt guy in a Top 9 role.... so 20-25 points is quite a drop from one of your Top 9 forward spots.

I don't know, personally I think that replacing Bozak with a capable 3rd line center will make a world of difference. A lot of those point totals came either from PP time or at the expense of playing any type of remotely decent defense.

Subbing in some young, defensively-sound players with plenty of speed and offensive potential to that line won't hurt them at all, imo. I actually think it will make them more balanced, particularly if Babcock starts giving the stars more ice and PP time.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 02:28:22 PM »

I don't know, personally I think that replacing Bozak with a capable 3rd line center will make a world of difference. A lot of those point totals came either from PP time or at the expense of playing any type of remotely decent defense.

Subbing in some young, defensively-sound players with plenty of speed and offensive potential to that line won't hurt them at all, imo. I actually think it will make them more balanced, particularly if Babcock starts giving the stars more ice and PP time.

I think your last sentence may be the key to this discussion.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 03:13:25 PM »

Doing that would make for a differently constituted team and maybe even a better one but reverting to more of a traditional top 6/bottom 6 structure isn't what I meant by balance.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
Babcock doesn't run top 6/bottom 6, per se, but he does like offensive AB/defensive AB, with matchup expectations of Offensive A and scoring expectations of defensive A. Largely because he didn't trust the regular season centres for both B lines, they were the most heavily sheltered.

Last year:
Offensive A: Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Offensive B: JvR - Bozak - Marner/Brown
Defensive A: Marleau - Kadri - Marner/Komarov
Defensive B: Komarov/Johnsson - Plekanec/Moore - Kapanen

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 04:07:59 PM »
Dermott’s comment on Nylander’s latest Instagram post is  :-*

Edit: just have to wait for someone else to do the screenshot
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:30:08 PM by herman »

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »
MattyandJohnnyandMitchyandWillyandPattyandHymieandNazzieandBrownieandKappyandMoMoandGardsandDermyandTimmahandFREDDIE...

Can you feel that? Can you feel that right there?
Strength down the middle lads. That's how we'll do it. Strength down the middle.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:27:22 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »
MattyandJohnnyandMitchyandWillyandPattyandHymieandNazzieandBrownieandKappyandMoMoandGardsandDermyandTIMMAH...

Strength down the middle lads. That's how we'll do it. Strength down the middle.
But I want a team built with Truculence and Testosterone.  Burke???
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 08:26:28 PM »
MattyandJohnnyandMitchyandWillyandPattyandHymieandNazzieandBrownieandKappyandMoMoandGardsandDermyandTIMMAH...

Don't forget BELLIGERENCE. I believe belligerence was in there somewhere.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »

Don't forget BELLIGERENCE. I believe belligerence was in there somewhere.
True but the last time I was Belligerent I had the s__t beaten out of me.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
I don't have access to the Athletic, but I might consider this:

Dermott-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Marincin-Hainsey

I can anticipate Dermott being the most controversial, but it's more about keeping Gardiner and Rielly apart, which I think is the right move. Hainsey just doesn't have the puck-moving ability to be on the top pairing.

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
How would I slot them:

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Holl
Marincin - Zaitsev

How would I slot them knowing there ain't no way Babcock isn't putting Hainsey in the lineup and the chances that Holl actually make the lineup are kinda low:

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

One interesting thing I learned over the summer is that Holl actually took a ton of PK shifts with the Marlies.  That might actually gain him a spot if he shows he can do it at the NHL level.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »