Author Topic: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 48047 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #915 on: February 18, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
What I find somewhat disappointing is that this year's Leaf team is likely the most talented we will have for a while as Gardiner is gone (and I
have as many issues with him as most (in the brain cramp department at the most inopportune time) and we will have to have min
salary 4th liners for sure. Brown is gone (although his game has fallen off the cliff this year) and having him on the 4th line is a pretty
good luxury. Likely one of Andreas or Kasperi is gone and Hainsey (useful in the right slotting) is probably gone as well. Our pipeline is basically
empty for next year with one exception. If we were one more year in developing this team I think the Leafs would have been much closer..

If only Marleau's contract was over that would really help next year.

I think the fact that Matthews, Marner and Nylander will be one year older will help offset the loss of the players you've listed up front.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #915 on: February 18, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 21, 2019, 04:36:46 AM »
The Leafs D 5v5:

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 21, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
I am not going to start a thread about this, and I wouldn't even know how to create a poll.... but I will ask... does anyone believe that as the rosters stand today the Leafs can, or will beat the Bruins in the playoffs?

I don't. Love this team. Love the improvements. Love the direction. But they do not look to me like a playoff ready team. I really hope that I am wrong.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 21, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »

I absolutely 100% believe this team can beat the Bruins.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 21, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
I am not going to start a thread about this, and I wouldn't even know how to create a poll.... but I will ask... does anyone believe that as the rosters stand today the Leafs can, or will beat the Bruins in the playoffs?

I don't. Love this team. Love the improvements. Love the direction. But they do not look to me like a playoff ready team. I really hope that I am wrong.

There's a perfectly good panic thread for this very sentiment.

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 21, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »

Agreed. If there are any issues, they're almost entirely psychological.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 21, 2019, 11:18:50 AM »

I think the Leaf's can beat any team in the League in a series, I don't guarantee they will though.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 21, 2019, 11:36:52 AM »

I think the Leaf's can beat any team in the League in a series, I don't guarantee they will though.

I mean just look at Tampa last year. Did anyone really think they were going to get bounced by Washington?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 21, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »

I mean just look at Tampa last year. Did anyone really think they were going to get bounced by Washington?

I know the Lightning look very very good this year but I think the Leaf's match up quite well against them. Their goalie has not proven anything in post season and their D drop off quickly IMO.

Offline Michael

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 21, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »

There's a perfectly good panic thread for this very sentiment.

I do think that this is panic. It is an observation.

The Bruins play a game that is more suited to the playoffs than the Leafs, they are particularly hot right now (so hitting your stride in the spring is good) and they have experienced players in their absolute primes. They also have fantastic goaltending (1 and 2). On top of that, they likely carry a fair bit of confidence against the Leafs.

On the other side, the Leafs still seem to be finding out who they are. Much of their core is still very young and have never won a playoff round. They also have holes to fill in RD and they could use a more reliable backup (true for many teams, but I mention it because the Bruins are solid at 1 and 2).

The Leafs need to mature. No one believes that they are ready to win a cup yet. Part of maturing will also mean that they need to win a round or two. To me, that seems unlikely yet at this point. Not because they are not a good team but because the Bruins are better. No need to panic. But ya, it's a problem.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 21, 2019, 11:59:27 AM »
Again, the Leafs took Boston to 7 games just a year ago and if it wasn't for a disastrous final game by a pair of players they probably win that series. Boston hasn't really made any big improvements to their team. The Leafs meanwhile have swapped out Bozak for Tavares, Polak for Muzzin, and JVR's loss is offset by increased playing time for Johnsson and Kapanen. They also won't be forced to play Tomas freaking Plekanec in a key match-up role against the Bergeron line.

How anyone can read that and think "nope, no chance against the Bruins this year" is beyond me.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 21, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »

Absolutely they can.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
  • CarltonTheBear was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 21, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »
They also won't be forced to play Tomas freaking Plekanec in a key match-up role against the Bergeron line.
If memory serves, Pleks actually did very well in shutting down that line. Better then Kadri.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 21, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »
The Bruins play a game that is more suited to the playoffs than the Leafs, they are particularly hot right now (so hitting your stride in the spring is good)/quote]

The playoffs are two months away.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »
They also won't be forced to play Tomas freaking Plekanec in a key match-up role against the Bergeron line.
If memory serves, Pleks actually did very well in shutting down that line. Better then Kadri.

The fancy stats really didn't bear that out.  Plekanec, Hainsey, Zaitsev and Polak rated out as our worst players.

Plek had the worst expected goals for on the team in the playoffs.  He has the worst relative Corsi on the team.  In usual fashion the notion that "toughness" is needed to win games in the playoffs isn't really what comes out.  It's usually our "tough" players who are the slow ones who result in constant turnovers and changes chasing after the puck.

Also the notion that the Bruins going 9-0-1 in their last 10 is anything other than a hot streak is nonsense.  This has nothing to do with them "being built for the playoffs".  Over their last 10 games: 5 of them have gone to OT or shoot out.  The refs stole a win away from San Jose in one of those games.  It's really amusing how Boston going on a hot streak is proof that they are good but we get to ignore every time they have struggled this year. 

5 of their games have gone to OT. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:00:10 PM by L K »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #929 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »