Author Topic: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion  (Read 61053 times)

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
Re: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs - General Discussion
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »
https://theathletic.com/442342/2018/07/23/bourne-on-band-aid-players-and-why-thell-make-the-maple-leafs-forwards-even-better-than-you-think/

[Some] coaches are lucky enough to have what I call “Band-Aid Players.” When you’re not a super deep team, not every line can be great. But if you have a Band-Aid player, you can put him with two guys who are the equivalent of open wounds, and that line will suddenly look a whole lot better. There were plenty of times discussions involved the phrase “Well, should we give those two [Band-Aid Player]?” As in, “They need a boost, maybe they should get some help in the form of [Band-Aid Player].”

Guess which three forwards are Band-Aid Players.

I would say Marner, Marleau and Brown.  I remember Brown getting put on the Bozak/JVR line as he's viewed as good defensively.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »
Marner, Marleau, and Kapanen?

I would say Marner, Marleau and Brown.  I remember Brown getting put on the Bozak/JVR line as he's viewed as good defensively.

I really could rephrase it as which players do you think are the coach's favourites to play too high in the line up.
#BeBlessed

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »

I really could rephrase it as which players do you think are the coach's favourites to play too high in the line up.
Hyman and Brown... no idea of a third that plays to high since we're pretty deep.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Weapon
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »

Oh God, it's Komarov, isn't it.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
Oh God, it's Komarov, isn't it.

Formerly, yeah, that'd be accurate. I'd throw Martin on that boat too.
#BeBlessed

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »
The three Band-Aids, as Justin Bourne terms them, are Hyman, Brown, and Johnsson.

Plays hard every shift and practice, almost always in the right place at the right time on top of the play, does it without complaint because they're just happy to be there and happy to help.

I think Marleau is aging gracefully into this role, where he was once the go-to skill option.
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2018, 03:03:58 PM »
Dobberhockey already trademarked (not actually) the term for band-aid players with a completely different definition so that was a confusing article to me.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
Dobberhockey already trademarked (not actually) the term for band-aid players with a completely different definition so that was a confusing article to me.

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home/the-dobotomy/nhl-band-aid-boys-injury-prone/ these guys?
#BeBlessed

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »

https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home/the-dobotomy/nhl-band-aid-boys-injury-prone/ these guys?

Yeah. Pick a new term Bourne!

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2018, 03:16:01 PM »
The three Band-Aids, as Justin Bourne terms them, are Hyman, Brown, and Johnsson.

Plays hard every shift and practice, almost always in the right place at the right time on top of the play, does it without complaint because they're just happy to be there and happy to help.

I think Marleau is aging gracefully into this role, where he was once the go-to skill option.
Brown and Hyman were our best players for the first 2 games of the playoffs. They're just flat our consistent and work hard... don't necessarily have that high end skill but real gud pros.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2018, 03:18:08 PM »

I would not group Johnsson with those 2 skill wise but I do see the comparison from a work ethic and without complaint thing.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
A while ago on TSN radio they were taking calls about what the Leafs should give out in the dressing to the player of the game. The consensus best recommendation were thick Dubas style glasses. I think it would be hilarious.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »

Yeah. Pick a new term Bourne!

I would have personally termed them Josh Grobans.
#BeBlessed

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »
The way I read this is that a lot of a goalie's skill set is fixed already (genetics; age 5-20 development), their physical work habits at this level are typically pretty good or they wouldn't be here, but they have been exposed to no mental training and it makes a bigger difference than you'd expect.  It would be cool if they could actually measure the difference (eg: a decrease in "bad goals"/game?) ... I haven't read the article ...

There's also stuff about how goalies tend to be coached in the feeder leagues, where they are basically... not. The line rushes and skills and systems work that the teams do as a whole are pretty much not applicable to replicating game situations for goalies, so most coaches just kind of leave them off to do their own thing, but also have high expectations for them.

Briere is of the mind that "a confident goaltender is better than a good one any day of the week"

I would think that his thinking is more of the mind that a confident good goalie is better than a great goalie with no confidence. See Jose Theodore as an example. Once he couldn't use steroids for his hair anymore, he was more worried about going bald than stopping the puck ;)

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »

Yeah, and I think this is one of those things that we fans never really know anything about - the management of personalities that a coach has to balance.

Like any manager of people experiences, you have some people that are maintenance free, and some that are high maintenance. 

Fans never know which ones are which, so we go off on coaches in terms of their shift management, when often times there are reasons that players are deployed in a certain way, or how often.  And it's not like a coach can say "well we did that because Whiny McWhiner was complaining that he wasn't getting enough OZ shifts, but he couldn't backcheck to save his life, so we needed a defensive guy on that line to babysit him."