Author Topic: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition  (Read 6216 times)

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Leafs Playoffs - Casual Fan Edition
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:33 PM »
Your restraint is really humbling Frank, thank you.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:33 PM »

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:36 PM »

Two very good posts right here.

I'm at times probably a little more abrasive here than others, but I think that's just the Scotsman in me, having a heated discourse with a stranger is one of the first signs of a budding friendship for many of my people.

The people that are advocating extremely punitive solutions in this discourse are the ones that maybe need to chill out a bit.

Bottom line is we are all pulling for the Leafs tonight, let's remember we are allies, not enemies.

You see that guys?  Carlton?  That's 2 people that thought I made a quality post...BOOM. 

And who knows how many more people also share this opinion, but just haven't written about me yet.  It's probably in the tens. 

And just now, I resisted the temptation to make a quality joke about WIGWAL's wife and who she'll be "pulling" tonight, even though you'll all agree that the joke was right there for the making.  It hurts not to make the joke...hurts bad. 

So obviously I've made an adjustment for the better of the board community.  You're welcome.

I vote Frank E as our new TMLFans overlord!  ;D
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Strangelove

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »
What I find remarkable on this board is the relative absence of trolling/bullying, so some of the posts in this thread are surprising to me. Compared to Reddit this place is incredibly civilized. It's important not to lose sight of the fact that disagreeing (or even strongly disagreeing) isn't bullying, it's debate.

I also don't find this place to be especially analytics-heavy. I think the main reason readership/comments are disappearing is because message boards themselves are archaic, not because of the types of discussions happening on this board. I'm glad that some people have stuck around, but not surprised that many haven't.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
What I find remarkable on this board is the relative absence of trolling/bullying, so some of the posts in this thread are surprising to me. Compared to Reddit this place is incredibly civilized. It's important not to lose sight of the fact that disagreeing (or even strongly disagreeing) isn't bullying, it's debate.

I also don't find this place to be especially analytics-heavy. I think the main reason readership/comments are disappearing is because message boards themselves are archaic, not because of the types of discussions happening on this board. I'm glad that some people have stuck around, but not surprised that many haven't.

Yeah I mean everything flows through a larger community like Reddit & Facebook nowadays. I've had to mute a bunch of Leafs ones on Facebook because I felt like I was drowning in TRADE MATTHEWS and MARNER IS TOO WEAK.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
p.s. If you think bar room banter doesn't turn into this type of stuff on the forums, you are crazy. My buddies and I just last week were in heated discussions at the bar, re: old school eye test VS. advanced stats.

I was going to say...some people here seem to be drinking in really terrible bars.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »
I used to post more.  Then I had kids, and those cost money.  Money comes from work.

I like the site,  I like the posters, I think you're all just tense because it's the playoffs.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2018, 03:14:06 PM »
I just want to remind everyone that this is the board on which a parody discussion of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina broke out in a GDT thread.  In a playoff GDT thread.

I'm sorry some people aren't feeling welcome to post.  I get a lot of fun out of participating here, and that is the beginning and end of this service's reason for being.  (Thank you again Rick & mods!)  I would just say, if you have had a bad experience in the past, or have always been reluctant to post, give it a try again, or for the first time.  Any online crowd always has the need for fresh voices, and many of them.

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
I have absolutely no issue with the analytics or the wealth of data that some of you guys have a lot of knowledge about.  In fact I welcome that.  Herman in particular is knowledgeable to the point that he could easily start working for Sportsnet tomorrow and he would fit right in.  He's generally cool to chat with on here also.  I do find some of his comments here to be troubling, however.

To be honest, and I'm sorry but I can't think of any other way to say this, Nik the Trik is the problem on here and Carlton the Bear is enabling him.  What I find with Nik is that he is extremely condescending and he does not even consider what other people say.  And if you read his responses in this thread, he doesn't even care.  Not only that but I don't even find him very knowledgeable and quite often he is flat out wrong.  This becomes even more frustrating when he doesn't own up to his own mistakes and argues to the bitter end.

TL;DR, I don't have an issue with the "advanced" discussion on here.  What I have issue with is the level of rudeness and abrasiveness paired with the unwillingness of people to listen to others or even consider other points of view.  It's not what's being said that's the problem, it's the way people are going about it.

One thought I did have was to create a "casual" discussion sub-forum where some of us could interact without the condescending BS.

I don't like advocating for people to be banned or for moderation to be changed, however this thread did bring up a legitimate problem and those are the most direct solutions I can think of.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2018, 04:20:50 PM »

Just so people know, this is the sort of thing being referenced:

http://www.tmlfans.ca/community/index.php?topic=3852.msg300572#msg300572

Feel free to read for yourself and decide what's what.
-Karl Marx

Offline sickbeast

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »
**Cues Carlton the Bear to pick Nik the Trik's side and enable his trolling further...**
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:30:11 PM by sickbeast »

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »

I agree with all of this.

Like I said earlier, I'm not opposed to the analytics. Sometimes I just want to talk hockey but I do value what analytics can offer. I mean, numbers generally don't lie. My eyes often do. I realize that the numbers side of it today is "talking hockey" and it's just my stubborn way of looking at things that gets in the way. That and I really need to sit down and look at the analytic side of things to understand it, then I'll surely be all in.

Anyways, trade Gardiner(not for a bag of pucks) and I'll be okay with everything in the world.

Online princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »
Im going very subtly change the topic of conversation.

So, how physically ill do people feel when the leafs lose a playoff series?  Nausea anyone?  Actual vomit?  Coma?  Or just too much ice cream??

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »

So, how physically ill do people feel when the leafs lose a playoff series?  Nausea anyone?  Actual vomit?  Coma?  Or just too much ice cream??

It depends on the series. Last year vs. Washington was no biggie and the collapse vs. Boston was, well, not as good.
-Karl Marx

Offline louisstamos

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Treestar
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2018, 04:43:06 PM »

A little beyond too much Ice Cream.  I would characterize it as a gut punch.  Like when it lands on 00 in roulette...

Online princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »

It depends on the series. Last year vs. Washington was no biggie and the collapse vs. Boston was, well, not as good.

I was in a hotel lobby somewhere watching the Boston game. I was yelling at the screen. Some of the other hotel patrons were considering an intervention, I believe.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »